Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) – Some 2,777,270 students will appear at this year’s Primary Education Completion (PEC) and Ebtedayee examinations for fifth graders which will begin on November 18.
Primary and Mass Education Minister Mostafizur Rahman came up with the information while briefing reporters at the secretariat on Thursday.
Of the total examinees, 1,278,000 are males while 1,498,000 females, he said.
This time, there will be no MCQ type question in the examination covering total 600 marks for six subjects, the minister said.
The number of examinees is 23,472 higher than that of last year, he said.
Replying to a query, Mostafizur said they think there will be no problem in publishing the results and distributing books among the children in time due to the national election.
Vigilance teams have been formed to inspect the exam activities in all districts like previous year, he said, adding that deputy commissioners, police supers, district primary education officers and upazila nirbahi officers have been directed to maintain the law and order in the exam halls.
Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) – Detectives detained BNP leader Nipun Roy Chowdhury from the city’s Kakrail area on Thursday evening, apparently over Wednesday’s clash between BNP men and police.
A team of Detective Branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) picked Nipun Roy, a BNP executive committee member and daughter of BNP Vice-chairman Advocate Nitai Roy Chowdhury, up along with noted singer Baby Nazneen from the Nightingale crossing in the evening, said DB sources.
However, Baby Nazneen was freed later.
At least 50 people, including 23 policemen, were injured in a clash between BNP leaders and activists and law enforcers in front of the party’s Nayapaltan central office on the third day of its nomination-form sale on Wednesday.
Police lobbed teargas shells, rubber bullets and charged baton on the BNP men while two police cars were torched during the clash.
However, both the government and BNP traded a blame game over the clash ahead of the national election billed for December 30.
Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) - US Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) Richard Albright has laid emphasis on the value of ‘go-and-see’ visits as recommended by UNHCR to enable Rohingyas to visit their villages of origin and the transit facilities in Myanmar.
This will help Rohingyas and their families make ‘informed choices’ about their voluntary returns, said the US official who completed his six-day Bangladesh visit on Thursday.
Albright visited Rohingya refugee camps and host communities in Cox’s Bazar from November 11 to 13 to assess conditions and speak directly with Bangladeshis and refugees, including some who had just recently arrived from Myanmar.
While in Cox’s Bazar, Albright, accompanied by the USAID Mission Director Derrick Brown, visited the Kunapara Border crossing, Rohingya camps, including the UNHCR Transit Center, as well as a number of facilities providing services such as medical care, food distribution, and nutrition services, implemented by partners, including WFP, Unicef, the government , Red Cross Movement, and IOM.
This visit was part of PRM’s regular travel to monitor humanitarian assistance programs and meet with key government, United Nations, and non-governmental organisation stakeholders.
The US has provided more than $345 million to assist Rohingyas and host communities in Bangladesh since the start of the current crisis in August 2017.
Besides, the US has contributed 40 percent of the total contributions to-date to the 2018 Joint Response Plan, said the US Embassy here.
The USA commended the government of Bangladesh’s generosity in keeping its borders open to Rohingyas and hosting the more than 700,000 that have arrived since the outbreak of violence in Rakhine State in August 2017.
It also appreciated Bangladesh’s continued efforts to ensure humanitarian assistance reaches the affected population, saying that they are following developments closely regarding joint plans of Bangladesh and Myanmar to repatriate approximately 2,000 Rohingyas.
The US said they agree with UNHCR’s assessment that conditions in Myanmar are not yet conducive to returns.
Full access to Myanmar is needed to understand the conditions in the areas of return and to allow refugees and internally displaced persons to make an informed choice about returning, it said.
The US welcomed the Bangladesh government’s continued commitment to informed, voluntary, safe, and dignified returns and giving UNHCR the lead in the repatriation process.
Noakhali, Nov 15 (UNB) - Police recovered the body of a young girl who went missing on Sunday from a ditch near her residence at Maijdi in Sadar upazila on Thursday afternoon.
The deceased was identified as Tabassum Tania Chamak, 22, daughter of Shahjada Enamul Haq Himel and a third year student of Sonapur College.
Victim’s father said Tania had gone out to receive her parents from Maijdi Court Railway Station on Sunday night but went missing.
Later, police recovered the body and sent it to Noakhali General Hospital for autopsy, said Md Anwar Hossain, officer-in-charge of Sudharam Model Police Station.
Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) – Police on Thursday pressed charges against eight alleged members of Ansarullah Bangla Team in a case filed over the killing of Jagriti Publications publisher Faisal Arefin Dipan.
Investigation officer (IO) of the case, Assistant Commissioner of Detective Branch (DB) of police Fazlur Rahman, submitted a charge-sheet to the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sharafuzzaman Ansari.
The eight ABT men are Moinul Hasan Shamim alias Sifat alias Samir alias Imran, Md Abdus Sabur alias Abdus Samad alias Sujan alias Raju alias Sad, Khairul Islam alias Jamil alias Rifat alias Fahim alias Jisan, Md Abu Siddique Sohel alias Sakib alias Sajid alias Shahab, Mozammel Hossain alias Saimon alias Shashriar, Md Sheikh Abdullah alias Jubayer alias Jayed alias Javed, Syed Ziaul Hoque, a suspended major of Bangladesh Army who is known as Sagar alias Istikhakh alias Boro bhai in the organisation, and Akram Hossain alias Hasib alias Abir alias Adnan alias Abdullah.
Of the accused, six are currently behind the bars while two others -- Syed Ziaul Hoque and Akram Hossain -- have been on the run.
Major Syed Ziaul Hoque, mastermind of the killing, was suspended from the Bangladesh Army.
On October 30, the charge-sheet was sent to the Home Ministry for approval before submission to the court as the case was filed under the Anti-terrorism Act.
Publisher Dipan, son of Prof Abul Kashem Fazlul Huq of Dhaka University, was hacked to death in his office on the second floor of Aziz Supermarket at Shahbagh in the city on October 31, 2015.
A case was filed with Shahbagh Police Station over the matter the following day and later, the case was transferred to DB.