Narayanganj, Sep 29 (UNB) – Police here on Saturday arrested six people including a hospital owner and doctor in connection with the death of a 5-month pregnant woman, allegedly due to wrong treatment at a private hospital in Fatullah.
Shilpi Begum, 30, wife of Alamgir Hossain, a mechanic of Kutubpur east Delpara, died on Friday, one day after her husband brought her to the New Popular General Hospital as she was feeling sick.
Doctors there after some initial tests said that the baby was normal but Shilpi had to be admitted for a few days and kept under observation. But out of nowhere on Friday afternoon doctors at the hospital informed Alamgir that an operation was needed urgently.
Without even seeking consent of the patient, they rushed her husband to arrange blood while they already took the patient to the operation theater and operated a Caesarean section.
By the time Alamgir returned with the blood his wife was dead, along with the 5-month foetus.
Perhaps most outrageously, doctors and nurses refused to acknowledge this fact to Alamgir, instead stoking a façade that Shilpi needed to be shifted to the Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) as her condition was critical.
Doctors and nurses made an entire show of putting Shilpi in an ambulance (a job usually left to attendants) to avoid blame even though she was already dead, Alamgir alleges.
Meanwhile, Dr Kamrunnahar, Shilpi’s gynaecologist, said she died from a sudden stroke during the operation, after which they brought out the dead baby by C-section. She insists there was no wrong treatment.
They also referred the patient to DMCH as her condition deteriorated, she said.
The detainees are Dr Mojibur Rahman, owner of New Popular Hospital, Dr Kamrunnahar, Masum Ahmed, Ahmad Ali Khan, Medical officer Dr. Jamil Ahmed and nurse Surma Begum.
Sub-inspector of Fatullah Model Police Station Didarul Alam confirmed six people had been held from the hospital.
After the incident agitated relatives of the deceased vandalised some parts of the hospital but they were eventually brought under control, he added.
Dhaka, Sept 29(UNB) – Secretary of Energy and Mineral Resources Division Abu Hena Md Rahmatul Mumin has said there will be no more new gas connections for residences using natural gas.
“Unlike other gases, natural gas can be used in producing high quality product, so it should not be wasted on cooking,” the secretary said while addressing a meeting with government officials at the Bogura DC office on Saturday.
Instead, any new gas connections for residences will be connected to the part of the grid utilizing Liquified Natural Gas, said Abu Hena.
The country is slowly transitioning to an era of imported gas as reserves of natural gas get exhausted.
Citing that imported gas is very much costly, Secretary Hena urged all concerned to stop gas theft in the name of system loss.
The speakers of the meeting also said, 140 different divisions and organizations will take part in 4th National Development Fair to be held at Altafunnesa playground in the district town from 4-6 October.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the fair through video conference.
Dhaka, Sept 29 (UNB) - Four friends sustained burn injuries as a gas cylinder exploded at a tea stall in city’s Kafrul area on Saturday noon.
They have been identified as Abu Hena Mostafa Babu, 32, Sunny Ahmed, 27, Kamal Hossain, 30, and Polash, 30.
Quoting doctors, Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) police outpost sub-inspector (SI) Bacchu Mia said all four of the injured were taken to the DMCH Burn Unit. Two of them, Babu and Sunny, are in critical condition.
Victims’ friend Shabbir, who was with them but managed to escape relatively unhurt, said six of them (including Shabbir) were taking tea and smoking at the tea stall in the area.
According to Shabbir, the fireball was caused by one of the friends throwing away a lit cigarette in the direction of a nearby canal that somehow caught the gas cylinder at the tea-stall making it suddenly explode.
Tangail, Sept 29 (UNB) – Prime Minister's Media Advisor Iqbal Sobhan Chowdhury on Saturday said the journalists who write objective and unbiased news have nothing to worry about the newly enacted Digital Security Act.
Iqbal Sobhan made the remarks at a view exchange meeting with Awami League leaders, activists and journalists in the circuit house here in the noon.
He also said that journalists have nothing to fear about their objective writings as the law would not be applied on them.
“But, the law was enacted to try those who practice yellow journalism to provoke the communal tension and sovereignty of the country,” he further said.
The government is working to implement the 9th wage board for the journalists both of electronic and print media, he added.
Later, the PM’s advisor inaugurated the three-storey building of Kalihati RS Pilot High School, built by the school’s own-fund.
Cox’s Bazar, Sep 29 (UNB) – Although six years have elapsed since the gruesome attack on the houses and temples of the Buddhist community in Ramu, Ukhia and Teknafupazilas, the trial proceedings in anyone of the 19 cases are yet to be completed for lack of evidence and witnesses.
Public Prosecutor (PP) of Cox’s Bazar District Judges Court MomtazUddin said the future of the cases have become uncertain mainly for lack of witnesses.
“Most witnesses are members of the Buddhist community who arerefusing to give testimony out of fear,” he said.
On September 29 and 30 in 2012, some miscreants and fanatics carried out the attacks on the houses and temples of the Buddhist community in Ramu, Ukhia and Teknafupazilas following a Facebook post that had undermined the holy Quran.
Eleven Buddhist temples and 30 houses of the minority community were vandalised during the violence.
The following day, another seven temples and 11 houses of the Buddhist community were also vandalised and torched in Ukhia and Teknafupazilas of Cox’s Bazar.
Over the attacks, 19 cases were filed with Ramu, Ukhia and Teknafupazilas, among them eight were filed with Ramu, seven with Ukhia, two with Teknaf and two with Cox’s Bazar accusing 995 people.
Cox’s Bazar District Judges Court inspector Didarul Islam said one case among the 19 filed by SudhangshuBarua was dismissed through mutual understanding of both sides while the rest of the cases are still under trial.
Five cases were handed to the Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) for further investigation which submitted charge sheet in three cases in 2016.
Didarul Islam said 14 cases are at the stage of recording testimonies and four arebeing prepared for trial while police so far arrested 426 people in the cases.
Meanwhile, Ramu central Buddhist Youth Parishad convenerRajatBaruaRiku said all the cases were filed by police and they excluded the names of the real culprits from the charge-sheet.
Additional police super MdIqbalHossain said if any complaint is logged over giving threat to the witnesses then tough action will be taken.