Belgrade, Jul 4 (AP/UNB) — Novak Djokovic is again under scrutiny in his native Serbia — this time because of inviting Goran Ivanisevic to join his coaching team at Wimbledon.
Serbia's state-controlled tabloids called it a "scandalous" partnership between the top-ranked Serb and the former Wimbledon champion from Croatia.
Croatia fought a bloody war for independence from Serb-led Yugoslavia in the 1990s and nationalist sentiments still run high in both countries.
"Goran comes from Croatia, I'm from Serbia. We both come from the country that was once called Yugoslavia," Djokovic said, explaining his decision to recruit Ivanisevic. "When I was small and started watching tennis, I watched his match against (Pete) Sampras. Everyone in the region supported him (Ivanisevic)."
Djokovic, whose mother was born in Croatia, had faced similar public criticism when he said he would support Croatia after Serbia exited last year's soccer World Cup at the group stage. Croatia went on to the final where it lost against France.
Pro-government Belgrade tabloid Informer quoted former NBA center Darko Milicic as saying that Djokovic's move to hire Ivanisevic is "an insult to his fans."
Milicic said that whenever Djokovic "displays outbursts of love for Croats" he should think of his Serbian fans "who have gone through harassment, expulsions and loss of their loved ones during the war."
The tabloids printed an interview Ivanisevic had with the New York Times during the war in which he was quoted as saying he wished "to have some Serbs standing in front of me" while he had shooting practice with a machine gun.
Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic, a former ultranationalist, took a softer line: "It is good for our country that Novak Djokovic has good relations with Ivanisevic so that the past clashes are overcome."
Ivanisevic, who won the men's singles title in 2001, has told Serbian media he received "a rather unexpected call" from Djokovic ahead of the grass court tournament.
"It's all unusual," Ivanisevic said, adding he was trying to postpone some obligations that may force him to leave Wimbledon in the second week.
Wimbledon, Jul 4 (AP/UNB) — The long blonde hair looked eerily familiar, but it wasn't quite a case of like father like son for Leo Borg at Wimbledon.
The 16-year-old son of Bjorn Borg lost in the first round of qualifying for the junior singles at the grass-court Grand Slam, where his famous father is a five-time champion and still regarded as royalty.
Leo Borg was hoping to make his first appearance at the All England Club but lost 6-1, 6-4 to Loris Pourroy, an 18-year-old Frenchman seeded 15th in the qualifying draw.
There were shades of the elder Borg on court, though, especially because Leo sports a hairstyle very similar to the one his father became known for when winning five straight Wimbledon titles from 1976-80. The teenager also wore Fila clothing but had ditched his father's trademark headband in favor of a regular white hat.
Steve Johnson of the United States won for the first time in five tries against a top-30 opponent at Wimbledon, getting past No. 25 seed Alex de Minaur of Australia 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 to reach the third round.
Johnson, who is ranked 71st, had lost his past nine matches anywhere against men inside the ATP's top 30.
How close was this one? Johnson won fewer total points, 150-149, earned fewer service breaks, 3-2, and made nearly twice as many unforced errors, 45-25.
But Johnson broke de Minaur, who is ranked 29th, in the next-to-last game, then served out the victory, which ended when Johnson's down-the-line forehand drew a long backhand on a 22-stroke exchange.
Johnson's best Grand Slam showing was a fourth-round run at the All England Club in 2016, which ended with a loss to Roger Federer.
Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova overcame a shaky start to come back and defeat Kristina Mladenovic 7-5, 6-2 and reach the third round.
The No. 7-seeded Kvitova was broken in the opening game and trailed 5-3 in the first set. Mladenovic served for that set at 5-4 and held three set points but failed to convert, double-faulting away her initial chance to close it out. Mladenovic later double-faulted twice more to get broken and make it 5-all.
Kvitova, who won titles at the All England Club in 2011 and 2014, wasn't even sure she could compete at the tournament this year until right before it began. The left-hander missed the French Open because of an injury to that forearm.
Top-ranked Ash Barty stretched her winning streak to 14 matches and reached Wimbledon's third round with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Alison Van Uytvanck.
Barty is coming off titles at the French Open and the Birmingham grass-court tuneup tournament. She never has been past the third round at All England Club.
She could have wrapped things up even quicker against Uytvanck but failed to serve out the match at 5-2 in the second set, the only time she was broken. Barty is playing her first tournament at No. 1.
Van Uytvanck upset defending champion Garbiñe Muguruza last year en route to the round of 16 at Wimbledon.
No. 9 Sloane Stephens of the United States and No. 15 Wang Qiang of China also advanced in straight sets.
Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic has been fined 45,000 pounds ($56,500) for not meeting "the required professional standards" in his first-round loss at Wimbledon.
Tomic lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-2, 6-1, 6-4 on Tuesday.
Wimbledon organizers say "it is the opinion of the Referee that the performance of Bernard Tomic in his first round match against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga did not meet the required professional standards."
His fine is the same amount of prize money singles players get for losing in the first round.
Tomic reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2011. Six years later, he was fined $15,000 at the All England Club and dropped by his racket sponsor for saying during a news conference that he was "a little bit bored out there" after losing a match.
All eyes will be on the marquee matchup between Rafael Nadal and Nick Kyrgios at Wimbledon.
It is a rematch from 2014, when a 19-year-old Kyrgios upset then-No. 1 Nadal at the All England Club.
In other second-round action Thursday, Serena Williams and Roger Federer will play their matches at the All England Club's second biggest court.
They have won a combined 15 singles titles at Wimbledon and are accustomed to playing most of their matches on Centre Court.
This time, Federer will be on No. 1 Court against 20-year-old Jay Clarke of Britain. Williams will follow in that arena, facing 18-year-old Kaja Juvan of Slovenia.
Andy Murray will make his debut at this year's tournament, playing men's doubles with Pierre-Hugues Herbert against Marius Copil and Ugo Humbert.
London, Jul 4 (AP/UNB) — One toss of a coin could deal a fatal blow to Pakistan's erratic Cricket World Cup campaign.
Pakistan goes into its match against Bangladesh at Lord's on Friday knowing already that it is effectively out of contention for a semifinal spot.
New Zealand is fourth with 11 points at the end of its nine group games. Fifth-place Pakistan can draw level with the Black Caps on points if it beats Bangladesh — which can't qualify — but needs to win by 300-plus runs to advance. That's never been achieved before in ODI history.
Pakistan could see even those remote hopes end without a ball being bowled if it loses the toss and Bangladesh chooses to bat, eliminating any chance for Pakistan to radically improve its net run-rate.
This is used after number of wins to decide which team goes through to the last four if they share the same points. If Pakistan wins Friday, it will have five victories, like New Zealand which has a far superior net run-rate.
Former Pakistan test cricketers Ramiz Raja and Shoaib Akhtar were vocal in criticizing the team's performance in the World Cup and held out little hope for Friday's game.
"It's like telling an individual that you have to climb Mount Everest without an oxygen mask. It's that much of a Herculean task," former Pakistan captain and TV commentator Raja said on his YouTube channel, adding "whether they (Pakistan) win or lose it doesn't matter."
He called for changes after the tournament, saying: "We have to find batsmen, we have to find allrounders. That's the way you can make your future team."
Akhtar was disappointed with the quality of cricket displayed by Pakistan.
"The mess was created by Pakistan themselves," he said, "the way we lost heavily to West Indies in the first match, then rain washed out the game against Sri Lanka which was unfortunate."
Lausanne, Jul 4 (AP/UNB) — In the post-Bolt world of sprinting, top American runners are enjoying new rivalries and more open races.
Ahead of their races at the Diamond League meeting known as Athletissima, Justin Gatlin and Noah Lyles spoke Thursday of enjoying duels that were harder to predict.
"I like where the sprints are right now," said Gatlin, whose 100-meter title at the 2017 world championships was Usain Bolt's first loss in an individual gold-medal race for 10 years. "It's not a clear favorite always."
Gatlin has the best time this year among those in the 100 lineup Friday at Lausanne, while Lyles starts favorite in the 200.
"I like how every race is more now getting into a 'Who's going to win?' situation," said Lyles, whose 200 duel against fellow American Michael Norman in Rome a month ago was a highlight of the Diamond League season.
"There's a lot of rivalries coming up, especially in the U.S. It's actually very exciting," said Lyles, who like Norman is 21 and a potential standout at the season-ending world championships in Doha, Qatar.
Lyles and Gatlin were asked who was "the boss" of the men's sprints in the second season since Bolt's retirement ended almost a decade of his domination across three Olympic Games.
Both gave diplomatic answers, suggesting they enjoy the challenge.
"You got a lot of very talented athletes who are going to step up," said Gatlin, who at age 37 posted 9.87 seconds as runner-up at the Prefontaine Classic in California last weekend to stand fourth in the season-leading list.
The list is led by 23-year-old Christian Coleman's winning time of 9.81 in the Americans' first clash since taking gold and silver ahead of third-place Bolt at the 2017 worlds in London.
Lyles is second in the 100 and 200 world-leading lists this season. In Rome, Norman clocked 19.70, two-hundredths faster than Lyles.
"It's just exciting to see fans coming out and getting excited, choose sides and just watching a race because it's a great race," said Lyles, whose opponents Friday include 2017 world champion Ramil Guliyev of Turkey and Canada's Andre De Grasse, the 2016 Olympic silver medalist behind Bolt.
Also at Athletissima, the women's 100 features two-time Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Dina Asher-Smith, the European champion from Britain.
In her second season back after welcoming her first child, Fraser-Pryce pushed current Olympic champion Elaine Thompson to a world-leading performance at the Jamaica nationals two weeks ago. Both timed 10.73.
"Motivation is definitely stronger than before," Fraser-Pryce said Thursday. "A lot of persons believe that you can't come back from having a baby."
Asher-Smith said her rival's comeback was "a joy to watch."
"It's been really inspiring and amazing," the 23-year-old Briton said. "A lot of people try and tell you what you can and can't do as a female athlete."
Turin, Jul 4 (AP/UNB) — Gianluigi Buffon is back at Juventus.
The longtime Bianconeri goalkeeper signed a one-year contract with Juventus on Thursday, with the deal reportedly worth 1.5 million euros ($1.7 million).
It's a return for the 41-year-old Buffon after one season away at Paris Saint-Germain.
Buffon signed autographs for fans outside the Juventus' training facility before he went inside for medical tests.
Buffon is expected to serve as the reserve goalkeeper behind starter Wojciech Szczesny. He needs eight appearances to overtake former AC Milan captain Paolo Maldini as the most capped player in Serie A history. Buffon has 640 appearances in the Italian league; Maldini has 647.
After this season, Buffon is expected to become a member of Juventus' management.
A year ago, Buffon joined PSG from Juventus on a one-season deal with an option for a second year. It was announced a month ago that PSG and Buffon had decided not to take up the option.
Buffon played 25 times for PSG, sharing duties with Alphonse Areola, and won the French league to add to his multiple titles.
Buffon spent 17 years at Juventus after joining from Parma in 2001 and established himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world.
He won nine Serie A titles with the Bianconeri, including four successive league and cup doubles.
Buffon also made a record 176 international appearances for Italy, helping the Azzurri win the 2006 World Cup.
One of the few trophies missing from Buffon's glittering collection is the Champions League. He lost three finals in that competition with Juventus.