Dhaka, Mar 12 (UNB) — Bangladesh’s failure to take advantage of the wicket led to their humiliating loss to New Zealand in the second Test at Wellington, Mahmudullah Riyad said Tuesday.
Beating Tigers by an innings and 12 runs confirmed the Kiwis’ series win with one match to go.
Bangladeshi batsmen appeared clueless against New Zealand pace attack. Left-arm pacer Neil Wagner took 16 wickets in the series so far, most of them have been notched by short deliveries.
“I think the help from the wicket was equally the same for both groups of the bowlers. They (Kiwis) utilised the wicket properly, but we failed to do so,” Bangladesh captain Mahmudullah told a post-match press conference.
In their only innings at Wellington, New Zealand scored 432 runs for six wickets. Ross Taylor struck a double-ton after being dropped twice in the same over of Abu Jayed Rahi on the morning of the fourth day.
Mahmudullah reckoned that they have paid a huge price for the misses. He lamented the missed chances, saying they could have boosted the bowlers’ confidence.
The third and final Test will be played in Christchurch from March 20. Mahmudullah said the batsman have to be more responsible.
“We need to bat with more guts for a long time. Some of our batsmen are playing half-hearted shots or are double-minded while playing short deliveries. We need to be more focused if we really want to attack their bouncers,” he said.
“Our batsmen should take more of the blame. We lost all of our wickets twice in two and a half days. I think the wicket in the next game will be more pace bowler-friendly. Our batsmen should play with more responsibility keeping the three new bowlers in mind,” Mahmudullah added.
Madrid, Mar 12 (AP/UNB) — Real Madrid picked one of its most successful figures to try to end one of its worst crises.
Zinedine Zidane is returning to coach Madrid, the club he led to three straight Champions League titles before quitting while on top nine months ago.
Madrid announced Monday that Zidane accepted an offer to replace Santiago Solari and signed a contract until June 2022 to try to get the club back on track after a disastrous season.
The coaching change came less than a week after two losses to Barcelona and another to Ajax — results that eliminated the club from the Champions League and the Copa del Rey and virtually ended its hopes of winning the Spanish league.
"I'm very happy to be back home. I've recharged my batteries and now I'm ready again for the experience of being Real Madrid's coach. I'm motivated to be coaching again," Zidane said. "What I want to do now is return to work and put the club back where it belongs."
Spanish television channel La Sexta was the first to report Zidane's return. The announcement came after the board of directors met Monday in Madrid.
"You have an incredible history with the club, both as a player and as a coach," Madrid president Florentino Perez told Zidane. "We are proud to have you with us again. You represent the grandiosity of this club. Thank you for your loyalty."
Zidane, who won the 2002 Champions League while playing for Madrid, said he was never in doubt after receiving the offer from Perez.
"I love this club, and when the president called me, I couldn't say no," Zidane said. "I'll give everything I have to make this club better."
Zidane quit not long after Madrid won the Champions League title last season, saying that he and the club needed a change in command to keep succeeding. He won nine titles in his first stint with Madrid.
Zidane will be in charge of Tuesday's practice session, and his first game back will be on Saturday at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium against Celta Vigo. Madrid trails leader Barcelona by 12 points with 11 matches left and is five points behind second-place Atletico Madrid.
"I've been watching the season closely and I'm also not happy with how things have gone," Zidane said. "We have to see what we can (do) to improve and make sure things can be different going forward."
Solari led the team to a 4-1 win at Valladolid on Sunday and was in charge of practice on Monday. The club said it offered him an opportunity to remain in a different position. The former Argentina and Madrid player had been the "B'' team's coach before taking over the main squad in October.
Solari led Madrid to 22 wins, eight losses and two draws in all competitions, and helped the team win the Club World Cup in December.
Zidane's name was a unanimous choice within the club but few thought he would accept returning so soon after deciding to take a break.
The level-headed coach took over in January 2016 and immediately won over the squad with his calm manner and easygoing attitude. In addition to the three Champions League titles, he also led Madrid to the 2017 Spanish league title, the club's first since 2012. His other titles in his first coaching stint included two Club World Cups, two UEFA Super Cups and one Spanish Super Cup.
Shortly after Zidane left, Cristiano Ronaldo left to join Juventus, and Madrid has endured an up-and-down season that led to the humiliating losses to Barcelona and Ajax at the Bernabeu.
Zidane was replaced by Julen Lopetegui, the former Spain coach who was fired before the World Cup for taking the Madrid job. He lasted only a few months at the helm.
Solari took over from Lopetegui as an interim coach and eventually was given a full-time job — with a contract until 2021 — after putting the team back on track. Unlike Zidane, though, he struggled to manage the squad and was at odds with some of its key players, including Marcelo and Francisco "Isco" Alarcon.
Jose Mourinho, fired by Manchester United last year, was another strong candidate to replace Solari after succeeding with Madrid in the early 2010s. Other names mentioned included Juergen Klopp, Mauricio Pochettino, Joachim Loew and Antonio Conte, who was highly touted to take over from the fired Lopetegui.
Some even wanted the club to consider former star Raul Gonzalez, who has just started coaching one of Madrid's youth squads.
But it will be the great Zidane at the helm again.
"We'll get back to work and try to do the right things," Zidane said. "We have 11 matches left in the league, then we will start thinking about next year and beyond."
Dhaka, Mar 12 (UNB) — Bangladesh suffered another big defeat to hosts New Zealand by an innings and 12 runs on Tuesday.
Neil Wagner and Trent Boult scalped nine wickets to ensure the victory and seal the series 2-0 with one match to play.
In the first match of three-match series, Tigers lost by an innings and 52 runs. They wanted to make a comeback in the second Test but failed miserably.
Bangladesh tumbled for 209 in their second innings of the match. Wagner registered his second five-wicket haul in the series conceding 45 runs, and Boult scalped four wickets for 52.
In the last day of the game, Bangladesh needed to bat on for all three sessions to avoid a defeat. Mahmudullah Riyad and Mohammad Mithun were the only batsmen to offer some resistance for the Tigers with their respective 67 and 47.
Soumya Sarkar (28) was the first man to get dismissed on the fifth day after starting the day with 80 for three wickets. Ross Taylor took an easy catch at slip off Boult.
In the fifth wicket stand, Mahmudllah and Mithun added 40 runs. Right after that, Mithun (47) was removed by Wagner’s signature bouncer. Mithun tried to clear through square leg but failed to execute properly. Tim Southee took a stunning catch to remove him.
Bangladesh lost Liton Das (1), Taijul Islam (0) and Mustafizur Rahman (16) in quick succession. While Liton and Taijul were scalped by Wagner, Mustafizur fell to Boult. Mahmudullah, the highest runs getter for the Tigers in the second innings, got dismissed as the ninth batsman for 67.
The match started after two full days had been washed away by rain. Bangladesh lost the toss and were sent to bat in the first innings of the match on day 3. They tumbled for 211 runs as Wagner took four and Boult bagged three.
New Zealand scored 432/6 declared in their first and only innings of the match. Taylor, the middle-order batsman, scored his third double-ton in Test cricket. Along with him, Henry Nicholls also hit a ton. Taylor was adjudged the man of the match.
Abu Jayed took three wickets for the Tigers, and Taijul bagged two.
The third and final Test of the series is scheduled to be played from March 20 at Hagley Oval in Christchurch.
Indian Wells, Mar 12 (AP/UNB) — Naomi Osaka rolled past Danielle Collins 6-4, 6-2 in the third round of the BNP Paribas Open on Monday night, keeping the world's No. 1 player on track to defend her title.
Collins struggled with her serve throughout the match, committing seven double faults and connecting on just 47 percent of her first serves.
Osaka's first serve percentage was 66 and she won 70 percent of her first-serve points.
Osaka won her first career title at Indian Wells a year ago, propelling her to a career-best year in which she defeated Serena Williams for the U.S. Open title. She began this year winning the Australian Open and moving to the top of the rankings.
Novak Djokovic, the world's top-ranked men's player, had a night match.
Venus Williams is turning back her own clock, moving into the fourth round with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over qualifier Christina McHale.
Williams is seeking her 50th career WTA Tour title in the desert, where she has never won the event. And at 38, she's showing vintage form.
"I don't really play that often, so when I do, I need to play well," she said. "It's extra motivation for me to play just a little bit better out there."
Serena, a two-time champion at Indian Wells, retired from her match on Sunday because of a viral illness.
Ranked 36th in the world, Williams endured three sets in her first two matches. She rallied past Andrea Petkovic in the opening round and followed up by outlasting No. 3 seed Petra Kvitova in a third-set tiebreaker.
Kvitova had made the finals in two of her first three tournaments this year.
Williams, who made the semifinals in the desert last year, was playing McHale for the first time. Williams rallied from early breaks down in both sets to win.
"I never played her, so it's also you're out there learning," Williams said.
Karolina Pliskova eased past qualifier Ysaline Bonaventure 6-3, 6-2. No. 8 Angelique Kerber outlasted qualifier Natalia Vikhlyantseva 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 and No. 9 Aryna Sabalenka defeated 24th-seeded Lesia Tsurenko 6-2, 7-5.
Two seeded women lost: No. 11 Anastasija Sevastova, who retired trailing 5-0 in the first set against No. 21 Anett Kontaveit, and No. 15 Julia Goerges, who lost to Mona Barthel 7-5, 1-6, 6-4.
On the men's side, No. 3 Alexander Zverev lost to German countryman Jan-Lennard Struff 6-3, 6-1.
Playing just his third tournament of the year, Zverev said he's been sick for a week.
"That hasn't changed, unfortunately," he said.
Dominic Thiem, seeded seventh, defeated No. 27 Gilles Simon 6-3, 6-1. No. 13 Milos Raonic got a challenge from American qualifier Marcos Giron before winning 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Miomir Kecmanovic, a lucky loser from Serbia, got past No. 30 Laslo Djere 6-2, 7-6 (3).
Rome, Mar 12 (AP/UNB) — Claudio Ranieri won his first game back in charge at Roma but it was far from comfortable.
Stephan El Shaarawy and Patrik Schick scored in the first half, and relegation-threatened Empoli's late equalizer was disallowed on video review as Roma held on to win 2-1 on Monday.
Captain Alessandro Florenzi was sent off 10 minutes from time — on his 28th birthday — following a second booking, and Empoli's Rade Krunic almost made the advantage count before the video assistant referee determined the ball hit Dimitri Oberlin in the arm just before the goal.
"The first match is over, and the best thing is the result," Ranieri said. "We have to work a lot, but we will always score sooner or later. We have to work instead on staying focused in order not to concede. It's not possible that we're letting in all these goals.
"These 90 minutes hasn't made me feel calmer, but I'm focused and positive."
Roma moved three points behind fourth-place Inter Milan, with the top four from Serie A qualifying for the Champions League. Empoli remained a point above the relegation zone.
Ranieri was appointed as interim coach on Friday, a day after Roma fired Eusebio Di Francesco following elimination from the Champions League and a derby defeat to Lazio. In charge of Roma from 2009-11, Ranieri was fired by Fulham of the Premier League on Feb. 28.
His second spell got off to a good start. El Shaarawy fired Roma in front in the ninth minute when he curled a stunning effort into the top right corner, but Empoli leveled in somewhat comical fashion three minutes later as Juan Jesus headed the ball into his own net under very little pressure.
Empoli almost immediately scored a second, but Manuel Pasqual's free kick bounced off the top left corner of the goal.
Roma took the lead again in the 33rd minute as Florenzi floated in a free kick from outside the right side of the penalty area and Schick headed it into the bottom left corner.
Empoli dominated as Roma's task was made harder by the list of players missing: Daniele De Rossi, Kostas Manolas, Lorenzo Pellegrini and Cengiz Under were all injured, and Edin Dzeko, Federico Fazio and Aleksandar Kolarov were suspended.
"It was a difficult match without many men seeing that the leaders were out — those who play 90 minutes, players who give a sense of direction to the play and the team," Ranieri said.
"I knew it would be difficult and I have to congratulate the team, which always remained compact even when we went down to 10 men."