Cairo, Jul 9 (AP/UNB) — Tunisia knocked Ghana out of the African Cup of Nations in a penalty shootout on Monday, extending the Black Stars' run of pain at the tournament for at least another two years.
The title drought is now 37 years and counting for Ghana, which was eliminated 5-4 in the shootout in Ismailia when striker Caleb Ekuban was the only player to miss.
Goalkeeper Farouk Ben Mustapha was the hero for Tunisia in the last-16 match. He was brought on especially for the shootout and made a match-winning save from Ekuban.
That left Ferjani Sassi to step up and score with the last spot-kick and send Tunisia into a quarterfinal against surprise package Madagascar.
Tunisia was on its way to winning in regulation time after Taha Khenissi scored in the 73rd minute. Ghana snatched a dramatic equalizer two minutes into injury time when Rami Bedoui headed the ball into his own net straight after coming on as a substitute to make it 1-1.
There were no goals in extra time.
Ghana's failure means the star-studded West Africans still haven't won the African Cup since their fourth title in 1982. Ghana has lost three finals since then, including on penalties in 2015.
Tunisia was the last team to seal its spot in the quarters in Egypt.
The quarterfinal lineup is: Senegal vs. Benin, Nigeria vs. South Africa, Ivory Coast vs. Algeria and Tunisia vs. Madagascar.
Earlier, Wilfried Zaha's late goal put Ivory Coast into the last eight with a 1-0 victory over Mali in Suez.
Zaha's winner in the 76th minute saved Ivory Coast, which had been the second-best team for most of the game.
But Zaha took his chance when Mali's players didn't. He ran onto a long pass launched from the back and tucked his shot away after Mali's defense failed to deal with the danger.
Mali had twice as many shots on goal as the Ivorians, dominated the first half and also finished the game strongest. The Malians just couldn't break through.
Ivory Coast was the 2015 champion and is seeking a third title.
The quarterfinals start on Wednesday.
New York, Jul 9 (AP/UNB) — Megan Rapinoe stepped off the plane with champagne in hand — a fizzy souvenir from a most memorable trip overseas.
"Thank you, France, for the hospitality," the U.S. soccer star said. "But wow, we are very excited to be back in America."
The U.S. women's national team arrived in New York on Monday, a day after beating the Netherlands 2-0 to capture a record fourth Women's World Cup title. Players and staff touched down at Newark Liberty International Airport at about 4:30 p.m., where they were met with cheers and a banner saying "Congratulations Team USA!" More fans waited at their hotel in Manhattan, and the players are sure to be feted around the city all week, capped with a ticker-tape parade Wednesday up the Canyon of Heroes.
"I think everyone's feeling just incredible right now," said Alex Morgan, who swapped out her imaginary teacup for a gold bottle of bubbly on the flight.
Rapinoe converted a penalty kick in the second half and Rose Lavelle added a goal in the championship game, kicking off a party that carried over to the tarmac in Newark. Players gathered for a toast and posed for pictures as they sang "We Are The Champions."
"We kind of went through stages," Morgan said. "Initially everyone was excited, and then a little hungover, and then we slept a little bit, and then we got up and started just celebrating a little more."
The team got shout outs across social media — including from Presidents Donald Trump, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton; two-time World Cup winner Mia Hamm, Stephen Curry, Snoop Dogg, Ellen DeGeneres and many more. Dozens of politicians offered congratulations, and congress' top Democrats have invited the team to Washington.
That was all news to players when they landed, since their flight back to the U.S. did not have Wi-Fi.
"Crazily enough in this day and age in 2019, we've been in the dark for nine straight hours," Rapinoe said. "We're sort of catching up on everything."
Wednesday will mark New York's first ticker-tape parade since the women's team won the 2015 World Cup. Long Island's Crystal Dunn was a late cut from the '15 squad, and she's "super excited" to parade through her own city.
"I am such a proud New Yorker," she said. "It's in my blood. It's everywhere I go. It's such a special place. Obviously for this to be our first stop back here when we get back to the United States, it's incredible."
Wimbledon, July 8 (AP/UNB) — Out of escapes, out of surprises, Coco Gauff knew her captivating Wimbledon ride at age 15 was nearing its conclusion.
The thousands of spectators at Court No. 1 on Monday realized it, too, so they made sure to show their appreciation for the youngest qualifier at the All England Club in the professional era and youngest Week 2 participant since 1991.
Fans, most of whom probably hadn't heard of Gauff until last week, rose and roared as she fended off the initial two match points she faced against 2018 French Open champion Simona Halep. It was reminiscent of the way the Gauff began a comeback victory in her previous match. This time, though, Gauff could not come through, beaten by the older, more experienced Halep 6-3, 6-3.
"It was really surprising, because you don't really expect this kind of support when you're in another country, not your home country. I really did feel like I was probably playing in New York. I'm just really happy that people believe in me," said Gauff, who beat Venus Williams in the first round for quite a Grand Slam tournament debut.
"I wasn't feeling my best, I wasn't playing my best," Gauff said, noting that she wasn't sure why she needed a visit from a doctor in the second set, "but they were still supporting me, no matter what."
While Gauff couldn't get past former No. 1 Halep, another American, 55th-ranked Alison Riske, stopped the 15-match winning streak of the current No. 1, Ash Barty, eliminating her 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
"Right now, Ash is playing well," Riske said. "I believe that I am, as well."
That's certainly true.
She improved to 14-1 on grass courts this season and reached the first major quarterfinal of her career in 30 appearances.
It'll come against yet another player who has topped the WTA rankings, Serena Williams, who will be participating in her 14th quarterfinal at Wimbledon alone.
Barty began perfectly, winning the first game of the match this way: 112 mph ace, 102 mph ace, 110 mph ace, 108 mph ace. She hit another pair of aces in her next service game and finished with 12. But Riske simply played so cleanly, delivering twice as many winners as unforced errors, 30-15, and won her fourth consecutive three-setter in the tournament.
"There aren't many holes in her game, full-stop," said Barty, who followed up her first Grand Slam championship at Roland Garros last month, then grabbed a title at a grass-court tuneup tournament.
"Today wasn't my day. I didn't win a tennis match; it's not the end of the world," she said. "It's disappointing right now. Give me an hour or so, we'll be all good. The sun's still going to come up tomorrow."
Tuesday's other quarterfinal on the top half of the women's draw will be No. 19 Johanna Konta of Britain against Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic. On the bottom half, it'll be No. 8 Elina Svitolina of Ukraine against Karolina Muchova of the Czech Republic, and Halep against Zhang Shuai of China.
The first two men's quarterfinals set up for Wednesday are No. 1 Novak Djokovic vs. No. 21 David Goffin, and No. 3 Rafael Nadal against 65th-ranked Sam Querrey. Djokovic and Nadal both put together straight-set victories over unseeded opponents, while Querrey hit 25 aces and saved all four break points he faced to get past Tennys Sandgren 6-4, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5) in the first all-American men's Week 2 matchup at Wimbledon in 19 years.
Roger Federer moved on with ease, needing less than 75 minutes to dismiss No. 17 seed Matteo Berrettini of Italy 6-1, 6-2, 6-2, and faces No. 8 Kei Nishikori next.
Halep is the highest-seeded woman remaining, after Barty was joined on the way out Monday by No. 3 Karolina Pliskova, who twice served for the victory in a 4-6, 7-5, 13-11 loss to Muchova, and No. 6 Petra Kvitova, a two-time champion eliminated by Konta 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
For Gauff, this was her seventh match in short order — three in qualifying, four in the main draw — and while she insisted she wasn't fatigued, she looked it.
Still, with serves reaching 119 mph, a dynamic backhand that landed near lines and aggressive volleying, Gauff made an impression on anyone who watched her.
Not to mention anyone who played her.
"It's a great performance. I think if she keeps going, she will be (in the) top 10 soon," Halep said. "She will be a very tough opponent for everybody. If she keeps doing what she did here, she's going to get a lot of confidence and she can win big tournaments soon."
Now the trick will be to manage those sorts of expectations.
Gauff is, after all, too young to drive a car. She is taking high school courses. Instead of hanging out at a mall or going to see a movie with friends or working as a camp counselor Monday, there she was at Wimbledon at 1 p.m., standing in the tunnel that leads to the court with her father, Corey.
He draped his arm around her shoulders, then parted ways by giving his daughter a peck on the cheek.
London, July 8 (AP/UNB) — Belgium midfielder Youri Tielemans moved to Leicester on a permanent deal following a successful loan spell last season, while West Ham announced the sale of Marko Arnautovic to Chinese champion Shanghai SIPG in a terse, two-line statement on Monday.
Tielemans arrives at Leicester from Monaco for a reported club-record fee of 40 million pounds ($50 million), with the English Premier League club saying he is "widely considered to be one of the most exciting young talents in European football."
The 22-year-old Tielemans, who impressed when spending the second half of last season on loan at King Power Stadium, joined a few days after Spanish forward Ayoze Perez moved to Leicester for 30 million pounds.
"It's an incredibly exciting time for this football club," Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers said, "and to be able to bring players of Youri's quality here is an indication of the hunger for success we have here."
Exciting times for Leicester but perhaps worrying ones for West Ham, with Arnautovic the team's most talented player when on form.
The value of his move was not disclosed in a statement from West Ham that offered no thanks for the Austria forward's 22 goals in two seasons.
The club's Twitter account message was even shorter: "Marko Arnautovic departs ." British media reported the transfer fee was around 22 million pounds ($27.6 million).
Relations between West Ham and Arnautovic have been tense since he sought a move to China in January, and got worse this offseason.
Arnautovic leaves despite signing a contract extension in late January.
The 30-year-old forward was a club record 20 million pounds ($25 million) signing from Stoke in 2017.
At Shanghai, Arnautovic will join up in attack with former Brazil internationals Hulk and Oscar.
One of Arnautovic's former Stoke teammates, defender Erik Pieters, returned to the Premier League by joining Burnley on Monday.
Burnley said the 30-year-old Netherlands international signed a two-year deal. The fee was not disclosed.
Prague, July 8 (AP/UNB) — Slovakia midfielder Patrik Hrosovsky is moving to Belgium champion Genk from Czech club Viktoria Plzen.
Both clubs confirmed the transfer on Monday.
Genk says Hrosovsky is contracted to 2024. Financial details were not given.
Plzen says the deal between the clubs enables the playmaker to help it in the Champions League qualifying games against Greece's Olympiakos.
In his 168 games in the Czech league, he scored 15 goals.
Hrosovsky played 23 international games for Slovakia.