Dhaka, Aug 7 (UNB)— Bangladesh Women’s Cricket team are set to start their preparation camp for next year’s Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia from Thursday at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium.
The team have to play a qualifying tournament in Scotland from August 31 to September 7.
The Tigresses have not played any international games this year. So with this tournament in Scotland, the team will be back to international cricket.
“The qualifying event of the next Women’s T20 World Cup will be played in Scotland. We have to play well in this tournament in order to get a place in the main World Cup in Australia,” Nazmul Abedeen Fahim, the mentor of Bangladesh women’s team, told the media on Wednesday at Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium.
“After the preparation camp in Bangladesh, we will have a 10-day practice camp in the Netherlands, where we will play four practice games as well,” Nazmul added.
Till date, Bangladesh women’s team played 58 T20 matches so far and won only 17 of them. However the team are the reigning Asian champions having won the 7th edition of the ACC Women's Asia Cup in 2018 in Malaysia.
“We don’t have quality hitters in the team who can do better in T20 cricket. Usually, we play 50-overs cricket in the domestic circuit. So it is really tough for us to find some batters who can maintain a strike-rate around 115-120,” Nazmul also said.
“But we are optimistic about a batter- Sobhana Mostari- who is yet to celebrate her 18th birthday. She has the tendency to bat in an aggressive manner. At the same time, we have Shamima Sultana and Aysha Akter who can hit for fours and sixes. But still, we have to find out more batters with more capabilities of hitting big shots,” he added.
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will announce the 14-member national women’s squad soon. Nazmul said along with the experienced girls, BCB will call up young girls who have impressed in recent past in the domestic circuit and age-level cricket.
Dhaka, Aug 7 (UNB) - Bangladesh Hockey Federation (BHF) initially picked-up 35 players to form a Bangladesh U-21 team for the Junior Asia Cup Hockey’2020 scheduled to be held in Bangladesh next year.
BHF selected them from initially participated 100 players after conducting a six-day open trail of U-21 players under the supervision of a coaching panel headed by Mamunur Rashid.
The long-term coaching camp with the selected players will begin on August 18 where another 25 players of the national team and premier league team will join the camp directly.
Selected 35 players are: Debashis Kumar Roy, Tasin Ali, Obaidul Haque Joy, Zahid Hossain, Sabadur Rahman Mitu, Rakibul Hasan, Mehrab Hasan, Mehedi Hasan, Shoyeb Mollick Tonoy, Sadman Shakib, Amirul Islam, Akib Hossion, Shakib Mahmud Ovi, Alamin Miah, Nuruzzaman Nayon (BKSP), Nazmul Hasan Mridul, Sajibur Rahman, Rakibul Hasan, Azizul Islam, Sajib Hossain Sifat, Ashraful Alam, Zisas Ullah Abir, Mirajul Islam (Air Force), Shihab Hossain, Abed Uddin, Saijuddin, Raihan Kala (Dhaka), Khalilur Rahman (Chandpur), Promod Dewan (Rangamati), Hridoy Hossan Anas (Narayanganj), Al Nahiyan Shuvo (Kishoreganj), Mehedi Hasan (Joypurhat/Army), Hridoy Sheikh (Rajshahi) and Parvez Hossain (Sirajganj) and Razib Das.
Islamabad, Aug 7 (AP/UNB) — The Pakistan Cricket Board is set to change the entire coaching staff of the national team after deciding not to renew the contracts of Mickey Arthur and Grant Flower.
The major overhaul was recommended by the PCB's cricket committee which met in Lahore last Friday and approved by board chairman Ehsan Mani on Wednesday.
"The Pakistan Cricket Board ... will be immediately undertaking a robust recruitment process after it decided not to renew the contracts of head coach Mickey Arthur, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood, batting coach Grant Flower and trainer Grant Luden," the PCB said in a statement.
The cricket committee is headed by PCB managing director Wasim Khan and also includes former test captains Wasim Akram and Misbah-ul-Haq, who met with Arthur, former chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq and captain Sarfaraz Ahmed before recommending change in the coaching setup.
Arthur played first-class cricket in South Africa before going into coaching and taking charge of the national team from 2005-10. He became the first foreign coach of Australia's national cricket team before being replaced by Darren Lehmann in 2013.
Arthur took over as Pakistan head coach three years ago and during his tenure guided the team to the Champions Trophy title in England in 2017. However, Pakistan missed the semifinals of the Cricket World Cup last month after being edged by New Zealand on superior net run-rate through the tournament.
Former Zimbabwe batsman Flower and South Africa-born Luden, who also had worked with Bangladesh team as trainer, have been working with the Pakistan team since 2014. Mahmood, a former Pakistan all-rounder, was appointed as bowling coach in 2016.
"I want to sincerely thank Mickey Arthur, Grant Flower, Grant Luden and Azhar Mahmood for their hard work and unwavering commitment during their tenures with the national men's team," Mani said. "The PCB remains committed to its fans and followers and we will do our utmost to ensure that we make decisions that continue to move Pakistan cricket forward in all formats."
Virginia Water, Aug 7 (AP/UNB) — The European Tour has suspended Thorbjorn Olesen pending the investigation into his arrest on charges of being drunk on an aircraft and assaulting a female passenger while she slept.
Olesen is to appear in court on Aug. 21 on charges of sexual assault, being drunk on an aircraft and common assault, according to Metropolitan Police in London.
The European Tour said Tuesday in a statement the Danish golfer has been suspended pending the outcome of his case. The tour said it would have no further comment while the legal matter proceeds.
Olesen was arrested at Heathrow Airport on July 29 upon his return from the World Golf Championships event in Tennessee, where he tied for 27th. He allegedly got into an argument with other passengers in first class and urinated in the aisle.
PA Sports reported Monday that Olesen's lawyer released a statement saying the 29-year-old Dane has cooperated fully with police during the investigation.
The tour resumes next week with the Czech Masters, followed by the Scandinavian Invitation in Sweden on Aug. 22-25.
Olesen has five European Tour victories and made his Ryder Cup debut last year by going 1-1, winning his singles match against Jordan Spieth in a European victory in France.
Toronto, Aug 7 (AP/UNB) — Ashleigh Barty lost 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-4 to American Sofia Kenin in second-round play at the Rogers Cup on Tuesday, putting the Australian's No. 1 ranking in peril.
Current world No. 2 Naomi Osaka of Japan would overtake Barty for the top ranking by winning her first match on Wednesday. The 21-year-old opens her Rogers Cup against Germany's Tatjana Maria.
Americans Sloane Stephens, the No. 7 seed, and Venus Williams also were eliminated.
Stephens fell to Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic 6-2, 7-5. The 39-year-old Williams, a seven-time Grand Slam champion, lost 6-4, 6-2 to Spain's Carla Suarez Navarro. Suarez Navarro, ranked 26th in the world, snapped a five-match losing streak against the 56th-ranked Williams.
Donna Vekic, Alison Riske, Katerina Siniakova, Zhang Shuai, Iga Swiatek and Ekaterina Alexandrova also advanced to the second round with wins Tuesday.
Also, teenager Bianca Andreescu defeated Eugenie Bouchard 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 in an all-Canadian first-round matchup in her first match since aggravating a shoulder injury at the French Open in May.
Andreescu will face Daria Kasatkina in second round. Kasatkina advanced by upsetting No. 12-seeded Angelique Kerber on Monday night.