Dhaka, Aug 31 (UNB) - President Donald Trump has threatened to withdraw the US from the World Trade Organization (WTO) if the body fails to change the way it treats America.
"If they don't shape up, I would withdraw from the WTO," Mr Trump said in an interview with Bloomberg News, reports BBC.
The WTO was established to provide rules for global trade and resolve disputes between countries.
But Mr Trump, who has been pushing protectionist policies, says the US is treated unfairly by the body.
He said on Thursday that the 1994 agreement to establish the WTO "was the single worst trade deal ever made", though he acknowledged that the US had won some judgments in the past year.
His warning about a possible US pull-out from the organisation highlights the conflict between the president's trade policies and the open trade system that the WTO oversees.
Meanwhile, Washington has recently been blocking the election of new judges to the WTO's dispute settlement system, which could potentially paralyse its ability to issue judgments.
US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer has also accused the WTO of interfering with US sovereignty.
The US president has been sounding off about unfair trade since even before he became president.
Last year, Mr Trump told Fox News: "The WTO was set up to benefit everybody but us… We lose the lawsuits, almost all of the lawsuits in the WTO."
The US has been embroiled in a tit-for-tat trade battle on several fronts in recent months.
The one creating the most interest is the one with China, as the world's two largest economies wrangle for global influence.
Mr Trump has introduced tariffs on a number of goods imported into the US.
A third round of tariffs on $200bn (£154bn) of Chinese goods could come as soon as a public-comment period concludes next week, according to a Bloomberg report citing various sources.
Asked to confirm this during the Bloomberg interview, President Trump said that it was "not totally wrong".
China has responded to US tariffs by imposing retaliatory taxes on the same value of US products and has filed complaints against the tariffs at the WTO.
China's commerce ministry has said it "clearly suspects" the US of violating WTO rules.
An initial complaint at the WTO was filed by China in July after Mr Trump imposed his first round of tariffs.
The WTO is at the heart of the system of rules for international trade.
It is the forum for sorting disputes between countries about breaches of global trade rules and it is the forum for negotiating new trade liberalisation.
Yes. On Monday Mr Trump announced that the US and Mexico had agreed to revamp the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta), calling it a "really good deal" that was "much more fair" for both countries.
He had previously threatened to pull out of the deal, triggering a year of talks, and demanded a renegotiation of the 1994 agreement - which he blames for a decline in US manufacturing jobs, especially in the car industry.
Canada, the third member of Nafta, is yet to agree to the new terms.
On Thursday, Mr Lighthizer held talks in Washington with Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland aimed at reaching a new deal.
Following four separate meetings, which continued late into the night, Ms Freeland told reporters that a deal could not be reached, adding that talks would resume on Friday.
Mr Trump has set Friday as the deadline for Canada to sign an agreement, and has threatened to tax the country's automotive sector or cut it out entirely.
Albuquerque, Aug 31 (AP/UNB) — At least seven people were killed and others were seriously injured Thursday in a head-on crash involving a commercial passenger bus and a semi-truck along Interstate 40 in New Mexico, near the Arizona border, authorities said.
Preliminary information indicated the semi was headed east when it blew a tire, sending the rig across the median and into oncoming traffic where it smashed into the bus, New Mexico State Police said.
There were 49 people aboard the Greyhound bus. Authorities said many were transported to hospitals, but they could not immediately provide an exact count of how many were hurt or their conditions.
Nine bus passengers were being treated at University of New Mexico Hospital with three more patients expected to be sent there. UNM officials didn't release any details about the patients' conditions.
Passing motorists described a chaotic scene with passengers on the ground and people screaming.
Eric Huff was heading to the Grand Canyon with his girlfriend when they came across the crash.
Huff said the semi's trailer was upside down and "shredded to pieces," and the front of the Greyhound bus was smashed, with many of the seats pressed together. Part of the side of the bus was torn off, he said.
"It was an awe-inspiring terrible scene," he said
Truck driver Santos Soto III shot video showing the front of the Greyhound sheared off and the semi split open, with its contents strewn across the highway.
He saw people sobbing on the side of the road as bystanders tried to comfort them.
"I was really traumatized myself, because I've been driving about two years and I had never seen anything like that before," Soto said.
"I'm a pretty strong person and I broke down and cried for at least 30 minutes," he added.
Chris Jones was headed west on Interstate 40 when he caught his first glimpse of the semi turned over. He saw the rest of the wreckage and stopped to help before coming across the driver of the semi sitting on the shoulder of the highway.
"It was intense," Jones said.
He said the driver told him that one of his front tires had popped, forcing the truck to veer into oncoming traffic, where it struck the bus.
Greyhound said the bus was heading from Albuquerque to Phoenix.
"We are fully cooperating with local authorities and will also complete an investigation of our own," Greyhound spokeswoman Crystal Booker said in a statement.
The crash occurred near the town of Thoreau. It forced the closure of westbound lanes of the interstate and traffic was backing up as travelers were diverted.
The National Transportation Safety Board and New Mexico state police are investigating.
Islamabad, Aug 31 (AP/UNB) — Thousands of Pakistan's hard-line Islamists have called off their rally after reaching near Islamabad following the cancellation of a Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest by a Dutch anti-Muslim lawmaker.
The far-right opposition politician Geert Wilders said Thursday he canceled the cartoon contest following death threats and concerns other people could be put at risk.
The decision prompted Khadim Hussain Rizvi, a firebrand Pakistani cleric, to end his march on Friday. It began Wednesday from the eastern city of Lahore.
Rizvi had planned to stage a sit-in to force the Pakistani government to sever diplomatic ties with the Netherlands over the contest.
Physical depictions of the prophet are forbidden in Islam and deeply offensive to Muslims.
Beijing, Aug 31 (AP/UNB) — Japan's finance minister and Chinese officials have pledged support for the multilateral system of global trade regulation ahead of a possible new round of U.S. tariff hikes in a battle over Beijing's technology policy.
Taro Aso, who was in Beijing for financial talks, made no mention of China's tariff war with President Donald Trump but said Friday that the two sides agreed "protectionist measures" help no country.
Aso gave no indication whether they discussed Chinese industrial policies and curbs on foreign business that are the core of disputes with Washington, Europe and other trading partners.
Trump has raised tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese imports in a spiraling dispute over Beijing's plans for state-led creation of champions in robotics and other fields and complaints the communist government steals or pressures companies to hand over technology.
The Trump administration is poised to impose penalties on an additional $200 billion of Chinese imports. Beijing has said it will retaliate.
Trump's decision to take action under U.S. law instead of through the World Trade Organization prompted complaints from Japan, Europe and other American allies that he is undermining the global trading system.
Aso met Friday with his Chinese counterpart, Liu Kun. On Thursday, he had talks with Beijing's chief envoy in the dispute with Washington, Vice Premier Liu He, and another vice premier, Han Zheng.
Aso's comments reflected the effort by other governments to express support for trade while avoiding a formal alliance with Beijing. The European Union and other trading partners echo U.S. complaints about Chinese market barriers and industrial policy.
"On trade, we agreed that protectionist measures that lead to inward-looking policies do not benefit any country, and to maintain and propel a multilateral, free and open rules-based trade system," said Aso at a news conference.
Chinese leaders have tried without success to recruit Germany, France, South Korea and other governments as allies against Washington.
Han, the vice premier, issued a similar endorsement of trade in comments reported Thursday by the official Xinhua News Agency. It said Han promised China would "promote trade and investment liberalization" but gave no details.
Other governments including Germany complain Beijing is hampering business activity by blocking foreign purchases of most Chinese assets at a time when the country's own companies are on a global acquisition spree.
Beijing's relations with Tokyo have been strained in recent years over territorial disputes and China's military ambitions. But Beijing has downplayed those disagreements this year, possibly in an effort to win Japanese support against Trump.
On Wednesday, Japanese reporters boycotted Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi's meeting with a Japanese deputy foreign minister, Takeo Akiba, after the Chinese government refused to admit a reporter from the Sankei Shimbun newspaper. The conservative Sankei Shimbun has been critical of China.
A Japanese government spokesman said Tokyo lodged a formal protest with Beijing. The Foreign Correspondents Club of China criticized such "selective denial of access" in a statement.
Mount Holly, Aug 31 (AP/UNB) — A couple who raised more than $400,000 for a homeless man after he used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of a stranded motorist in Philadelphia must now turn over what's left of the cash.
A New Jersey judge issued the order Thursday during a hearing on the lawsuit brought by Johnny Bobbitt , who worries Mark D'Amico and Katie McClure have mismanaged a large part of the donations raised for him on GoFundMe.
The couple deny those claims, saying they're wary of giving Bobbitt large sums because they fear he would buy drugs.
The judge ordered the couple to transfer the money into an escrow account by the end of business Friday and hire a forensic accountant to review the financial records within 10 days.
The money will be transferred to an account controlled by Bobbitt's lawyers but can't be used until the judge determines how it will be managed. The judge didn't appoint a guardian to oversee the fund, but one could be appointed later.
McClure set up the online fundraiser page as a way to give back to Bobbitt, who came to her aid when she ran out of gas on an Interstate 95 exit ramp late one night. It raised more than $400,000 in funds donated by more than 14,000 people.
Bobbitt walked a few blocks to buy McClure gas. She didn't have money to repay him at the time, but sought him out days later to give him the money, and visited him a few more times to bring food and water. They later appeared on shows like "Good Morning America" and were interviewed by the BBC.
But the relationship has gone sour.
McClure and D'Amico have repeatedly denied any wrongdoing or misusing any of the money. D'Amico has said Bobbitt spent $25,000 in less than two weeks in December on drugs, in addition to paying overdue legal bills and sending money to his family.
The couple also bought Bobbitt a camper with some of the funds and parked it on land McClure's family owns in Florence. But Bobbitt became homeless again after D'Amico told him in June that he had to leave the property.
During an appearance Monday on NBC's "Megyn Kelly Today" show, D'Amico told Kelly there was well over $150,000 left of the donations.