The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) test-fired short-range projectiles into the East Sea on Monday in what was believed to be part of the ongoing firing drills, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.
The JCS said in a statement that the South Korean military detected short-range projectiles of multiple types, which were launched northeastward from areas near the DPRK's eastern town of Sondok in South Hamgyong province at about 7:36 a.m. local time.
The projectiles flew as far as around 200 km at a maximum altitude of some 50 km. The intelligence authorities of South Korea and the United States were analyzing further details, the JCS said.
The JCS noted that the launches were seen as the part of the DPRK's joint strike exercises, involving multiple rocket launchers of multiple types, for a wintertime drill following the previous ones on Feb. 28 and March 2.
A week earlier, the DPRK fired two short-range projectiles, which traveled about 240 km at an altitude of some 35 km, into the eastern waters.
The JCS said the South Korean military was closely monitoring relevant situations in preparation for possible further launches while maintaining a thorough defense readiness.
It expressed strong regrets over the DPRK's projectile launches, adding that such acts run counter to the basic spirit of the inter-Korean military agreement in which the two sides agreed on defusing military tensions and building trust on the Korean Peninsula.
The military agreement was signed during the third summit between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un that was held in Pyongyang in September 2018.
The UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) on Sunday said the rival east-based army attacked a residential area in Tripoli, killing and injuring a number of civilians.
"A woman and a man were killed and four others wounded as an initial death toll of Grad missile attacks carried out by the militia of the war criminal (Khalifa) Haftar (commander of the east-based army) on Suk al-Juma area," the GNA said in a statement.
The east-based army has not commented about the attacks so far.
Spokesman of the GNA forces, Mohamed Gonono, on Sunday said the forces targeted units of the eastern army in southern Tripoli, destroying an ammunition depot.
The eastern army has been leading a military campaign since April 2019 in and around the capital Tripoli, attempting to take over the city and topple the GNA of Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday urged Greece to open its border gate for the passage of illegal immigrants, who have been waiting in Turkey's northwestern border for the last 10 days to enter Europe.
"These people will not stay in Greece. They will transit to another European country from there," Erdogan said at a meeting in Istanbul, marking International Women's Day.
He slammed the intervention of Greek security forces against the illegal immigrants at the Pazarkule border crossing.
Turkish authorities claimed that a total of three refugees were shot dead by Greek police so far.
Turkey is currently hosting over 3.7 million Syrian refugees in its territory. Additionally, more than 1.5 million others have flooded its southeastern border with Syria, mostly women and children, fleeing from the civil war in the Syrian province of Idlib.
Erdogan said the issue has not gained proper attention from the world.
"We have signed a cease-fire, albeit temporarily. It is my wish that it stays there," the Turkish leader added, referring to the cease-fire agreement in Idlib reached by the Turkish and Russian delegations in the Russian capital Moscow on Thursday night.
Chinese health authority said Monday it received reports of 40 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 22 deaths on Sunday on the Chinese mainland.
Among the deaths, 21 were in Hubei Province and one in Guangdong Province, according to the National Health Commission.
Meanwhile, 60 new suspected cases were reported, said the commission.
Also on Sunday, 1,535 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 153 to 5,111.
The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 80,735 by the end of Sunday, including 19,016 patients who were still being treated, 58,600 patients who had been discharged after recovery, and 3,119 people who had died of the disease.
The commission said that 421 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
The commission added that 20,146 close contacts were still under medical observation. On Sunday, 3,802 people were discharged from medical observation.
Also on Sunday, four imported cases of novel coronavirus infection were reported on the mainland, all of which were in Gansu Province. By the end of Sunday, 67 imported cases had been reported, said the commission.
By the end of Sunday, 114 confirmed cases including three deaths had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), 10 confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 45 in Taiwan including one death.
Fifty-nine patients in Hong Kong, 10 in Macao and 15 in Taiwan had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
The death toll from the viral outbreak Coronavirus that began in China now has climbed to 3,830.
It has infected 110,071people globally, according to information of worldometer.
Besides, a total of 62,280 patients (94 percent of total infected) made recovery.
The coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 109 countries and territories around the world, including Banglades, and 1 international conveyance (the Diamond Princess cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan).
The World Health Organization has named the illness COVID-19, referring to its origin late last year and the coronavirus that causes it.
On January 30, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a Global Public Health Emergency.
Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) on Sunday confirmed that three coronavirus infected patients have been detected in Bangladesh.