Dhaka, Jul 31 (UNB)- Local electronics brand Walton brought a new large screen smartphone Primo NH4 in three attractive colors of Dark Blue, Red and Black.
The smartphone will be available at only Tk 4,999, said a press release.
Asifur Rahman Khan, Head of Walton Cellular Phone Sales, said the new smartphone bears a 5.7-inch full-view display with 2.5D curved glass which will give users pleasant experiences of viewing or reading whether they want to browse online, read, play games, watch movies or have video chat.
It sports a 1.3 GHz Quad Core Processor, 1 GB DDR3 RAM with 8 GB ROM (expandable up to 64 GB), Mali-400 graphicsand 2400 mAh li-ion battery, he said.
Runs on Android Oreo 8.1 (Go Edition), the smartphone features 5MP rear and front cameras with LED flashes on both sides.
The customers will enjoy 30 days instant replacement guaranty and regular one-year warranty on purchase.
San Francisco, Jul 31 (AP/UNB) — Apple’s iPhone sales are still sputtering while the company tries to offset the decline by milking more money from digital services such as music.
The latest evidence of the iPhone’s waning popularity had been expected. Even so, the confirmation in Tuesday’s fiscal third-quarter earnings report underscored the challenges facing a company that has been riding the smartphone revolution for the past decade.
The iPhone’s downturn is the main reason Apple’s profit for the April-June period fell 13% to $10 billion.
The good news is Apple has several ways it can still make money from the 900 million iPhones in use today. Besides selling new models to current iPhone owners after the current devices eventually wear out, Apple has positioned itself to make billions of dollars more from music, video and gaming subscriptions, maintenance plans and commissions from apps selling their own wares on iPhones.
The bad news is that Apple has still been relying on the iPhone for more than half its revenue so this year, and the company hasn’t proven it can be as adept peddling digital services as it has been making sleek devices. For instance, Apple’s 4-year old music streaming service still lags Spotify. Apple is preparing to launch a video streaming service more than a decade after Netflix pioneered the concept.
And a recently opened U.S. Justice Department investigation is expected to look into whether Apple unfairly favors its own services and gouges others through its app store, raising the specter of changes that could further depress its revenue.
“Apple has become a victim of its own success and there also appears to be a lack of urgency,” Chatham Road Partners analyst Colin Gillis said. “Apple is still the iPhone company and it may always end up being the iPhone company.”
The lingering doubts hanging over Apple are one reason why Apple’s stock price remains well below its peak of $233.47 reached last October, even as the rest of the market has soared to record highs. The company’s shares gained 4% to $217.55 in extended trading after the release of its numbers for the April-June period.
The rally may have stemmed from another encouraging sign that emerged in the quarterly report. Apple’s total sales in China decreased by 4% in the quarter compared with a year ago, after plunging 25% during the first half of the company’s fiscal year. That dramatic improvement eased fears that the Trump administration’s trade war in China might trigger a consumer boycott of Apple’s products in the country in retaliation.
“We couldn’t be happier with the progress,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said during a Tuesday conference call. He credited both Apple’s own price cuts and economic stimulus programs rolled out by China’s government to counteract the effects of U.S. tariffs.
Worldwide revenue from iPhones during the quarter totaled $26 billion, a 12% decrease from the same time last year. It marks the third straight quarter of eroding iPhone sales, something that has only happened once before.
Apple is forecasting its total revenue for the July-September period will fall from last year, a sign that it is bracing for yet another drop in iPhone sales. That’s particularly striking because Apple typically gets a big boost from the release of new iPhone models in late September. But the mid-range projection of $62.5 billion of revenue for the period was better than the $60.9 billion anticipated by analysts, providing another sign of hope for investors betting on Apple’s resilience.
Even with the iPhone in decline, Apple remains a financial powerhouse. Total revenue grew 1% from last year to $53.9 billion.
The services division remains the biggest area of growth, with revenue surging 13% from last year to $11.5 billion in the past quarter.
New York, Jul 31 (AP/UNB) — One of the country's biggest credit card issuers, Capital One Financial, is the latest big business to be hit by a data breach, disclosing that roughly 100 million people had some personal information stolen by a hacker.
The alleged hacker, Paige A. Thompson, obtained Social Security and bank account numbers in some instances, as well other information such as names, birthdates, credit scores and self-reported income, the bank said Monday. It said no credit card account numbers or log-in credentials were compromised.
Capital One Financial is just the latest business to suffer a data breach. Only last week Equifax, the credit reporting company, announced a $700 million settlement over its own 2017 data breach that impacted half of the U.S. population. Other companies that have had breaches include the hotel chain Marriott, retail giants Home Depot and Target.
Thompson, 33, who uses the online handle "erratic," allegedly obtained access to Capital One data stored on Amazon's cloud computing platform Amazon Web Services in March. She downloaded the data and stored it on her own servers, according to the complaint.
Thompson was a systems engineer at Amazon Web Services between 2015 and 2016, about three years before the breach took place. The breach went unnoticed by Amazon and Capital One.
Thompson used the anonymous web browser Tor and a Virtual Private Network in extracting the data — typical methods hackers use to try to mask infiltrations — but she later boasted about the hack on Twitter and a chat group on Slack, posting screenshots as evidence of her exploit.
It was only after Thompson began bragging about her feat in a private group chat with other hackers that someone reached out to Capital One to let them know on July 17.
Once the informant told Capital One the company closed the vulnerability. The company verified its information had been stolen by July 19 and started tracking Thompson and working with the FBI. The FBI raided Thompson's residence on Monday and seized digital devices. An initial search turned up files that referenced Capital One and "other entities that may have been targets of attempted or actual network intrusions."
WHAT DID THOMPSON TAKE?
The data breach involves about 100 million people in the U.S. and 6 million in Canada.
Prosecutors said a misconfigured Capital One firewall let Thompson access folders of data that Amazon Web Services was hosting for the bank. Thompson sent a command that returned a list of more than 700 folders and copied data from an unspecified number of them. Capital One said the bulk of the hacked data consisted of information supplied by consumers and small businesses who applied for credit cards between 2005 and early 2019. The hacker also was able to gain some access to fragments of transactional information from dates in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The bank said it believes it is unlikely that the information obtained was used for fraud, but the investigation is ongoing.
Capital One says 140,000 individuals had their Social Security numbers accessed, and another 80,000 had their bank account information accessed.
HOW DID CAPITAL ONE HANDLE THE BREACH?
Capital One says once it learned of the breach on July 17, it immediately closed the vulnerability, and it was able to figure out what Thompson accessed 36 hours later, on July 19. The company was able to build a profile on Thompson from their internal investigation, and handed that to the FBI, who arrested her 10 days later, the day the bank disclosed the breach.
By contrast, it took Equifax six weeks before it publicly disclose its security incident, which was similar in size.
WHAT TO DO
Capital One said it will reach out to those affected using "a variety of channels."
That bank said it will make free credit monitoring and identity protection available to everyone affected. The company also said that consumers can visit www.capitalone.com/facts2019 for more information. In Canada, information can be found at www.capitalone.ca/facts2019 .
Consumers should also obtain copies of their credit reports at AnnualCreditReport.com. By federal law, consumers can receive a free copy of their credit report every 12 months from each of the three big agencies — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
Look over all of your listed accounts and loans to make sure that all of your personal information is correct and that you authorized the transaction. If you find something suspicious, contact the company that issued the account and the credit-rating agency.
You may also want to consider freezing your credit, which stops thieves from opening new credit cards or loans in your name. This can be done online. Consumers can freeze their credit for free because of a law that President Donald Trump signed last year. Before that, fees were typically $5 to $10 per rating agency.
You'll need to remember to temporarily unfreeze your credit if you apply for a new credit card or loan. Also keep in mind that a credit freeze won't protect you from thieves who file a fraudulent tax return in your name or make charges against an existing account.
You should also change your passwords regularly. CreditCards.com industry analyst Ted Rossman recommends using a password aggregator like LastPass that helps create strong, unique passwords for all of your logins.
Seoul, July 31 (Xinhua/UNB) -- Samsung Electronics, South Korea's tech giant, saw its operating profit halve in the second quarter on the continued slump in semiconductor and smartphone businesses, the company said Wednesday.
Operating profit was 6.6 trillion won (5.6 billion U.S. dollars) in the April-June quarter, down 55.6 percent from the same period of last year. It was slightly up from the preliminary reading of 6.5 trillion won (5.5 billion U.S. dollars) announced earlier this month.
Compared with Samsung's record quarterly high of 17.6 trillion won (14.9 billion U.S. dollars) in the third quarter of last year, the second-quarter figure was just one-third of it.
Revenue declined 4 percent over the year to 56.13 trillion won (47.5 billion U.S. dollars) in the June quarter, and net income tumbled 53.1 percent to 5.18 trillion won (4.4 billion U.S. dollars).
The earnings drop came amid the continued downturn in business cycle of the global semiconductor industry that led to lower chip price.
Adding to the concern, Japan tightened regulations early this month on its export to South Korea of three materials vital to memory chips and display panels, which are the mainstay of Samsung earnings.
The ratio of operating profit to revenue for Samsung, which gauges profitability, came to 11.8 percent in the second quarter, the lowest since the third quarter of 2016.
Samsung's chip business recorded an operating profit of 3.4 trillion won (2.9 billion U.S. dollars) on revenue of 16.09 trillion won (13.6 billion U.S. dollars) in the second quarter. It was the lowest operating profit in almost three years.
The ratio of operating profit to revenue in the chip-making unit was 21.1 percent in the second quarter, the lowest in five years.
Samsung said in a statement that the weakness and price declines in the memory chip market persisted as effects of inventory adjustments by major datacenter customers in the previous quarters continued.
The IT and mobile division, which produces smartphones, logged an operating profit of 1.56 trillion won (1.3 billion U.S. dollars) on revenue of 25.86 trillion won (21.9 billion U.S. dollars).
The operating profit was down 41.6 percent from a year ago on an increased marketing cost and the weaker-than-expected sale of Galaxy S10 smartphones.
Samsung said the mobile business was overall weighted down by slower sales of flagship models and an increased marketing expense.
The display panel unit reported an operating profit of 750 billion won (635 million U.S. dollars) on revenue of 7.62 trillion won (6.4 billion U.S. dollars) turning around from an operating loss in the previous quarter.
The turnaround was attributed to a one-time gain and a gradual recovery in customer demand, the tech company said without elaborating on what the one-time gain was.
The consumer electronics business posted an operating profit of 710 billion won (601 million U.S. dollars) on revenue of 11.07 trillion won (9.4 billion U.S. dollars) in the second quarter.
The profit was up from 510 billion won (431 million U.S. dollars) tallied a year earlier thanks to strong sales of new appliance products and improved profitability of refrigerators and washing machines, Samsung said.
Samsung said it was facing challenges from uncertainties not only in business areas but also from changes in the global macroeconomic environment.
The South Korean company noted that it will continue to invest in future technologies, including 5G, system chips, artificial intelligence and automotive components for longer-term growth.
Samsung's capital expenditure in the second quarter stood at 6.2 trillion won (5.2 billion U.S. dollars), including 5.2 trillion won (4.4 billion U.S. dollars) spent on semiconductors and 500 billion won (423 million U.S. dollars) on display panels.
Total capital expenditure in the first half was 10.7 trillion won (9.1 billion U.S. dollars), including 8.8 trillion won (7.4 billion U.S. dollars) for semiconductors and 800 billion won (677 million U.S. dollars) for display panels.
For the first six months of this year, Samsung's revenue reduced 8.9 percent to 108.51 trillion won (91.8 billion U.S. dollars) compared with the same period of last year.
The operating profit plunged 58 percent over the year to 12.83 trillion won (10.9 billion U.S. dollars) in the first half.
Ottawa, Jul 31 (AP/UNB) — Canadians won't find out until after this fall's federal election whether Chinese tech giant Huawei can provide equipment for the country's next-generation 5G wireless network, Canada's public safety minister said Tuesday.
Ralph Goodale said Canada needs more information from the United States about the nature of the potential security threat posed by the state-owned company. The election is Oct. 21.
Goodale commented after Canada and its Five Eyes intelligence allies wrapped up a meeting Tuesday that began with divisions over whether to let Huawei supply the equipment for the 5G system. The United States and Australia have banned Huawei, citing concerns it is an organ of Chinese military intelligence — a charge the company denies.
The issue arises as Canada and China are locked in a political dispute. China's imprisonment of two Canadians is being seen as retaliation for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's decision to arrest Huawei senior executive Meng Wanzhou on a U.S. extradition warrant.