Dhaka, Jan 27 (UNB)- Following the unveiling of the 5G multi-mode chipset Balong 5000 and its first commercial 5G device Huawei 5G CPE Pro, the Chinese tech giant has recently been reported to launch the first 5G foldable phone in the upcoming Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2019 in Barcelona.
According to the official source, the Balong 5000 supports 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G on a single chip. It effectively reduces latency and power consumption when exchanging data between different modes.
Balong 5000 is the first chipset to perform to industry benchmarks for peak 5G download speeds. The Sub-6 GHz low-frequency bands, the main spectrum used for 5G, allows Balong 5000 to achieve a download speed up to 4.6 Gbps.
When operating on mmWave spectrum, the high-frequency bands used as an extended spectrum for 5G, Balong 5000 can achieve a download speed up to 6.5 Gbps. The maximum speed is 10 times faster than the max speed of 4G LTE on the market.
After all, P30 is rumored to be launching any time soon. There are pictures leaked online on Huawei’s upcoming flagship launch. However, the images of P30 leaked online looks nothing like a foldable phone. Perhaps Huawei is guarding its secretly closely, and the leaked photos could well be a distraction for the curious onlookers.
Most smartphone makers have lately chosen to launch their flagship products outside the main mobile or tech events such as CES, IFA or MWC, opting to have their stage. However, with the competition heating up, Huawei might well surprise us on the upcoming MWC 2019 with a flagship launch.
According to Phone Arena, Huawei keynote event is scheduled to be on stage at MWC 2019 on February 24 at 2 pm local time, and we are likely to see the new 5G P series unveiled then.
Dhaka, Jan 27 (UNB) – From the first day of the next month, no mobile phone operator will be allowed to offer internet packages with less than a three-day validity.
Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has issued an order recently in this regard.
As per the order, the validity of all the internet packages/offers/bundles will be at least three days and this will come into effect on February 1.
It also said the order will be reviewed after one month.
Meanwhile, a subscriber will be able to use internet of highest Tk 5 under the ‘Pay Per Use’ system and on expiry of the limit, he or she will have to opt in or subscribe to an internet package or bundle or offer. This came into effect on Sunday.
The BTRC also said a directive on the highest numbers of internet packages/bundles/offers will be issued later after determining those.
Earlier on January 16, acting BTRC Chairman Jahurul Haque said there would be no internet package with less than seven-day validity from January 27.
Dhaka, Jan 27 (UNB)-Robi, a leading digital services provider of the country recently held ‘Robi Career Roadshow’ at the Jahangirnagar University (JU) aiming to make the students aware of the career opportunities available in Robi.
More than 250 JU students attended the event with great enthusiasm.
During the program, an overview of Robi as an organisation and its contribution to both the industry as well as the socio-economic development of the country was shared.
In the JU career roadshow students got the opportunity to meet with JU alumnus from Robi where alumnus shared their work life experience in Robi. Barota Chakraborty, Associate Professor, JU delivered the welcome speech in the session.
One of the most interactive events of the day was the knowledge sharing session where Robi officials delivered a total of seven lectures on corporate work life.
The career road show concluded with a prize giving ceremony for the SMS quiz contest winners.
In the evening, students interested to work with Robi took part in a written examination. Final year students as well as students, who completed their final year, attended the exam.
Dhaka, Jan 26 (UNB) - Facebook plans to integrate its messaging services on Instagram, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, reports BBC.
While all three will remain stand-alone apps, at a much deeper level they will be linked so messages can travel between the different services.
Facebook told the BBC it was at the start of a "long process".
The plan was first reported in the New York Times and is believed to be a personal project of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.
Once complete, the merger would mean that a Facebook user could communicate directly with someone who only has a WhatsApp account. This is currently impossible as the applications have no common core.
The work to merge the three elements has already begun, reported the NYT, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2019 or early next year.
Facebook probably didn't want to talk about this in the middle of a privacy scandal, but its hand was forced by insiders talking to the New York Times.
Until now, WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger have been run as separate and competing products.
Integrating the messaging parts might simplify Facebook's work. It wouldn't need to develop competing versions of new features, such as Stories, which all three apps have added with inconsistent results.
Cross-platform messaging may also lead the way for businesses on one platform to message potential customers on another.
And it might make it easier for Facebook to share data across the three platforms, to help its targeted advertising efforts.
But bigger still: it makes Facebook's suite of apps a much tighter, interwoven collection of services. That could make the key parts of Facebook's empire more difficult to break up and spin off, if governments and regulators decide that is necessary.
Mr Zuckerberg is reportedly pushing the integration plan to make its trinity of services more useful and increase the amount of time people spend on them.
By effectively joining all its users into one massive group Facebook could compete more effectively with Google's messaging services and Apple's iMessage, suggested Makena Kelly on tech news site The Verge.
"We want to build the best messaging experiences we can; and people want messaging to be fast, simple, reliable and private," said Facebook in a statement.
"We're working on making more of our messaging products end-to-end encrypted and considering ways to make it easier to reach friends and family across networks," it added.
The statement said there was a lot of "discussion and debate" about how the system would eventually work.
Linking the three systems marks a significant change at Facebook as before now it has let Instagram and WhatsApp operate as largely independent companies.
The NYT claimed that Mr Zuckerberg's championing of the plan to connect the messaging system had caused "internal strife". It was part of the reason that the founders of both Instagram and WhatsApp left last year.
The decision comes as Facebook faces repeated investigations and criticisms over the way it has handled and safeguarded user data.
Comprehensively linking user data at a fundamental level may prompt regulators to take another look at its data handling practices.
The UK's Information Commissioner has already conducted investigations into how much data is shared between WhatsApp and Facebook.
San Francisco, Jan 26 (AP/UNB) — Facebook allowed children to rack up huge bills on digital games while the company rejected recommendations for addressing what it dubbed "friendly fraud," according to newly released court documents.
The internal Facebook memos and other records were unsealed late Thursday to comply with a judge's order in a federal court case settled in 2016.
The lawsuit, filed in San Jose, California, centered on allegations that Facebook knowingly milked teenagers by permitting them to spend hundreds of dollars buying additional features on games such as "Angry Birds" and "Barn Buddy" without their parents' consent.
The documents show Facebook considered measures to reduce the chances of kids running up charges on parents' credit cards without their knowledge. But the company didn't adopt them for fear of undercutting the revenue growth that helps boost the company's stock price — and its employees' compensation.
The internal debate about how to address the recurring problem of kids spending big bucks behind their parents' backs occurred from 2010 and 2014 — a period that included Facebook's stock market debut in 2012. After going public at $38 per share, Facebook's stock plummeted by 50 percent, intensifying the pressure on CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his management team to bring in more revenue.
None of the unsealed records, however, directly tie Facebook's tolerance of "friendly fraud" to concerns about its slumping stock price during parts of 2012 and 2013.
A Facebook statement didn't address its rejection of the recommendations. Instead, it said the company has offered refunds and changed its practices.
"We routinely examine our own practices, and in 2016 agreed to update our terms and provide dedicated resources for refund requests related to purchases made by minors on Facebook," the Menlo Park, California, company said in a statement Friday.
Facebook isn't the only prominent technology company that has been skewered for profiting from game-loving children who don't always understand how much of their parents' money they are spending while playing games in apps or websites.
Apple agreed to issue $32.5 million in refunds for allowing kids to make in-app purchases without parental consent as part of a 2014 settlement with the Federal Trade Commission. That same year, Google settled a similar case for $19 million with the same agency. In 2017, Amazon resolved another case involving up to $70 million in potential refunds owed for kids' unauthorized spending on games.
But none of those companies had their dirty laundry aired quite like Facebook is now in a case that it thought it had closed a few years ago. The unflattering documents are emerging after the nonprofit Center for Investigative Reporting sought their release and U.S. District Judge Beth Freeman granted it.
To make matters worse for Facebook, the documents are coming out at a time when it is trying to repair the damage done to its reputation over the past 10 months from a scandal involving the data-mining firm Cambridge Analytica, and other debacles.
Facebook released the "friendly fraud" documents just as the Wall Street Journal was publishing an op-ed piece by Zuckerberg defending the company's integrity and business principles.
But some of the information unsealed in the court case painted a picture of a predatory company.
In a 2013 discussion between two of the company's employees, a 15-year-old Facebook user who had spent about $6,500 playing games is described as a "whale" — a term that gambling casinos use to describe people who make them a lot of money. The company decided to refuse a refund request from the teenager's parents.
The documents also disclosed that some Facebook employees had proposed requiring minors and people over 90 years old to provide the first six digits of the credit card accounts before allowing purchase as a way to reduce unauthorized spending. But Facebook management decided against requiring that additional information because it might also discourage users outside those age ranges from spending, too.