Dhaka, Aug 21 (UNB)- In the same decade when gravitational waves and a neutron star merger have been observed, astronomers have now observed what they believe to be the first detection of a black hole swallowing a neutron star, reports CNN.
Last Wednesday, gravitational wave detectors in Italy and the US, called LIGO and Virgo, detected telltale ripples in space and time, traced to an event that happened 8,550 million trillion kilometers away from Earth.
Astronomers are analyzing the data from the detection to confirm the size of the two objects that came together to form such cataclysmic ripples, but the event is likely a black hole eating a neutron star.
"About 900 million years ago, this black hole ate a very dense star, known as a neutron star, like Pac-man -- possibly snuffing out the star instantly," said Susan Scott, leader of the General Relativity Theory and Data Analysis Group at Australian National University and chief investigator with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery. "The ANU SkyMapper Telescope responded to the detection alert and scanned the entire likely region of space where the event occurred, but we've not found any visual confirmation."
Essentially, black holes and neutron stars are the leftovers after stars die.
Neutron stars are the smallest in the universe, the remnants of supernovae. Their diameters are comparable to the size of a city like Chicago or Atlanta, but they are incredibly dense, with masses bigger than that of our sun.
When massive stars collapse at the end of their lives, they form an area of accelerating gravity so strong that nothing, including light, can escape it.
Like the other groundbreaking detections this decade, this new detection could provide more crucial evidence for previously unseen events that occur in space.
"We have always thought that there should be binary systems of a black hole and a neutron star circling each other out in space, so if this event is confirmed, it would be the first evidence that such systems do actually exist, and that some of them are spiraling closer and closer and eventually smashing together," Scott said.
If the neutron star is not much smaller in mass than the black hole, the astronomers would expect more orbits to bring them closer together. This would shred the neutron star, creating electromagnetic signals that can be detected, Scott said. The signal would tell the astronomers about the properties of the star, hinting at their mysterious composition.
But if the masses of the two objects differ, the neutron star would likely be swallowed whole and not emit radiation. Because there hasn't been a signal in the area where the event occurred, the researchers believe this is the scenario that occurred.
Astronomers want to learn the masses of the two objects. An object greater than five times the mass of the sun is considered a black hole. If it's less than three times the mass of the sun, it's a neutron star.
One potential small possibility is that the smaller object could be a very light black hole, Scott said, which would still be an exciting consolation prize.
"We are not aware of any black holes in the universe with masses less than about five solar masses," Scott said. "This would raise many new questions such as, 'how does such a light black hole form?'"
If the detection of the black hole swallowing the neutron star is confirmed, that would complete the detectors' trifecta this decade, including gravitational waves and neutron star collisions.
Gravitational waves are ripples in space and time. Neutron star collisions release gravitational waves, light and heavy elements like gold.
Earlier this year after the gravitational wave detectors were turned on in April, scientists believe they may have detected the never-before-seen collision of a neutron star and a black hole, a collision between two neutron stars and three potential black hole mergers. The detectors' observations are being regarded as candidates until further data can confirm them.
If this trifecta is complete, the researchers want to detect more systems, including black holes and neutron stars merging.
"We can better estimate the population size of these systems in the universe and also better understand how these systems 'get together' in the first place," Scott said. "On the extended wish list we would soon hope to have a supernova which goes off somewhere close so that we can capture the expected gravitational waves from this type of event and better model the supernova process."
The detection teams are also working on a way to detect the result of two neutron stars that briefly create a bigger neutron star when they collide. It's possible that this bigger neutron star would be short-lived, but any detection from it could inform the astronomers about the collision process for neutron stars and their structure.
San Francisco, Aug 20 (AP/UNB) — Soon, you could get fewer familiar ads following you around the internet — or at least on Facebook.
Facebook is launching a long-promised tool that lets you block the social network from gathering information about you on outside websites and apps.
The company said Tuesday that it is adding a section where you can see the activity that Facebook tracks outside its service via its "like" buttons and other means. You can choose to turn off the tracking; otherwise, tracking will continue the same way it has been.
Formerly known as "clear history," the tool will now go by the somewhat awkward name "off-Facebook activity." The feature will be available in South Korea, Ireland and Spain on Tuesday, consistent with Facebook's tendency to launch features in smaller markets first. The company did not give a timeline for when it might expand it to the U.S. and other countries, only that it will be in "coming months."
Blocking the tracking, which is on by default, could mean fewer ads that seem familiar — for example, for a pair of shoes you decided not to buy, or a nonprofit you donated money to. It won't change the actual number of ads you'll see on Facebook.
Facebook faces increasing governmental scrutiny over its privacy practices, including a record $5 billion fine from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission for mishandling user data. Boosting its privacy protections could help the company pre-empt regulation and further punishment. But it's a delicate dance, as Facebook still depends on highly targeted advertising for nearly all of its revenue.
CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the "clear history" feature more than a year ago. The company said building it has been a complicated technical process, which is also the reason for the slow, gradual rollout. Facebook said it sought input from users, privacy experts and policymakers along the way, which led to some changes. For instance, users will be able to disconnect their activity from a specific websites or apps, or reconnect to a specific site while keeping other future tracking turned off.
You'll be able to access the feature by going to your Facebook settings and scrolling down to "your Facebook information." The "off-Facebook activity" section will be there when it launches.
The tool will let you delete your past browsing history from Facebook and prevent it from keeping track of your future clicks, taps and website visits going forward. Doing so means that Facebook won't use information gleaned from apps and websites to target ads to you on Facebook, Instagram and Messenger. It also won't use such information to show you posts that Facebook thinks you might like based on your offsite activity, such as news articles shared by your friends.
"We do think this could have an impact on our revenue," said Stephanie Max, product manager at Facebook, adding that this will depend on how people will use the tool. But she added that giving people "transparency and control" is important.
Off-Facebook activity is one of many pieces of information that Facebook uses to target ads to people. The changes won't affect how your actions on Facebook are used to show you ads. It also won't change the metrics Facebook sends back to advertisers to tell them how well their ads work.
Shenzhen, Aug 20 (AP/UNB) — The founder of Chinese tech giant Huawei said Tuesday he expects no relief from U.S. export curbs because of the political climate in Washington but expressed confidence the company will thrive because it is developing its own technology.
Ren Zhengfei also said he doesn't want relief from U.S. sanctions if it requires China to make concessions in a tariff war, even if that means his daughter, who is under house arrest in Canada on U.S. criminal charges, faces a longer legal struggle.
In an interview with The Associated Press at Huawei's sprawling, leafy headquarters campus in the southern city of Shenzhen, the 74-year-old Ren said Huawei expects U.S. curbs on most technology sales to go ahead despite Monday's announcement of a second 90-day delay. He said no one in Washington would risk standing up for the company.
The biggest impact will be on American vendors that sell chips and other components to Huawei, the biggest maker of network gear for phone companies, he said.
Washington has placed Huawei on an "entity list" of foreign companies that require official permission to buy American technology.
"Whether the 'entity list' is extended or not, that will not have a substantial impact on Huawei's business," said Ren. "We can do well without relying on American companies."
Huawei Technologies Ltd., China's first global tech brand, is at the center of a battle over trade and technology that threatens to tip the global economy into recession. American officials accuse the company, also the No. 2 global smartphone brand, of stealing technology and facilitating Chinese spying. Huawei denies those accusations.
Huawei's chief financial officer, who is also Ren's daughter, is fighting extradition from Canada to face U.S. charges related to possible violations of trade sanctions on Iran. Beijing arrested two Canadians in a possible attempt to force her release.
Ren looked relaxed and confident throughout the two-hour interview at a palatial new building in neoclassical European style where Huawei entertains customers. The atmosphere was a striking contrast from a June 17 news conference at which Ren compared the company to a "badly damaged airplane" and warned U.S. sanctions would cut Huawei's projected smartphone sales by $30 billion over the next two years.
President Donald Trump has suggested controls on Huawei might be lifted if Beijing agrees to a deal on trade and technology disputes that led to U.S. tariff hikes on Chinese imports.
Ren rejected that. He said Huawei couldn't ask for favors that might hurt the interests of China's poor majority.
"I couldn't take it if those poor people sacrificed their own interests for the benefit of Huawei," said Ren. "Maybe my daughter will suffer more. But I would rather do that instead having the poorer people in China sacrifice for Huawei's survival and development."
The May announcement of export curbs prompted warnings that sales of Huawei smartphones and other products that use U.S. chips and other technology could be devastated. The curbs also mean a loss of billions of dollars in potential annual sales for American vendors.
Even before the announcement, Huawei was working on developing its own chips, software and other technology that might reduce reliance on American vendors. The company spent $15 billion last year on research and development, more than Apple Inc. or Microsoft Corp.
Huawei reported sales in the six months through June rose 23.2% over a year earlier. Its chairman, Liang Hua, said in July that Huawei was reviewing its core products to make sure they all could be delivered to customers without American components.
"At a strategic level, the U.S. entity list is helpful to Huawei," said Ren. He said the company has responded by eliminating "marginal, unimportant businesses or products" and focusing resources on "major products."
"The whole company can focus more on our most competitive products," he said.
This month, Huawei unveiled its own smartphone operating system it said can replace the popular Android system from Alphabet Inc.'s Google. Huawei's phones still use Android but Google is blocked from supporting maps, music and other services.
Earlier this year, Huawei released its own chip for next-generation smartphones and the first phone based on that chip.
Ren rarely appeared in public or talked to reporters before his daughter's December arrest. Since then, however, he has given a flurry of interviews to foreign reporters in an effort to repair the company's reputation.
"I think it's working," he said.
Asked about ongoing pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, which borders Shenzhen, Ren said the violence was "not good for society and the people" but doesn't affect Huawei.
"There is no impact at all on Huawei's business," he said. "We are still focused on our own production. We still focus on fixing the holes in our bullet-riddled airplane."
Ren, who has called himself a fan of the United States and publicly praised Trump as a leader, said Huawei wants to retain technology collaboration with Google, Microsoft and other American developers.
Ren said a strong market position for Huawei will help U.S. companies because Huawei's products use American technology.
If Huawei is blocked from using Android and is forced to develop alternative systems, "it wouldn't be in the best interests of the United States," Ren said.
He said even if Huawei develops its own alternatives, it is willing to buy American components to support industry development.
"We hope we can and we will continue to be able to buy American components," he said. "Even though we may have the ability to turn out our own components or products, we would choose to reduce our own capacity so as to use more American components in order to contribute together to share the prosperity of society."
Ren said Huawei is planning as if the U.S. export restrictions will remain in place.
"It isn't possible that someone in the United States will step up to revoke the entity list designation," he said. "Right now, attacking Huawei in the United States is politically correct, while helping Huawei even once would put them under significant pressure. So to us, the entity list will be there for quite some time."
Dhaka, Aug 20 (UNB)- Chinese brand Vivo has recently reduced prices of its three smartphones.
Now, the Vivo V15 Pro is available at BDT 35,990 instead of BDT 39,990. Similarly, The company’s v15 and Y17 are available respectively at BDT 25,990 and BDT 20,990. The previous prices of both phones were respectively BDT 27,990 and BDT 22,990, said a press release.
Managing Director of vivo Bangladesh Duke said that “We always value peoples’ emotion and desire. Eid brought happiness to our Bangladeshi customers and this price reduction will extend that happiness.”
The V15 Pro features 6.39-inch FHD+ display which supports 1080x2340 pixels resolution, 32MP front camera and 48 Million Quad Pixel Sensor + 8MP AI Super Wide-Angle Camera + 5MP Depth rear camera, is supported by a powerful 3700 mAh battery with Dual-Engine Fast Charging and runs on Android Funtouch OS 9.0.
The smart phone with in-display fingerprint sensor is equipped with 6 GB RAM, 128 GB ROM (supports micro SD card up to 256 GB) and Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 AIE Octa-core.
The vivo V15 with rear-mounted fingerprint sensor is powered by a 2.1GHz Octa-core processor. It comes with 6GB RAM and 64 GB ROM which supports micro SD card up to 256 GB. The phone runs Android Funtouch OS 9 and is powered by a 4,000mAh battery and supports dual-engine fast charging. This dual-SIM phone features 6.53-inch FHD+ display which supports 1080x2340 pixels resolution.
The V15 on the rear packs a 12-megapixel primary camera, a second 8-megapixel camera and a third 5-megapixel camera. The rear camera setup has autofocus. It sports a 32 megapixel pop up camera on the front for selfies.
The Y17 has 20 megapixel camera with AI technology on the front. On the rear it packs a 13 megapixel primary camera, a second 8-megapixel super wide camera and a third 2-megapixel depth camera. This Y series phone features 6.39-inch Helo FHD+ display which supports 1080x2316 pixels resolution. It houses 5000 mAh battery with dual-engine fast charging, 4GB RAM, 128 ROM and fifth generation in-display fingerprint sensor.
New Delhi, Aug 20 (Xinhua/UNB) - India's second Moon Mission, or Chandrayaan-2, successfully entered into the Moon's Orbit on Tuesday, confirmed the country's space agency, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
This is said to be the biggest milestone achieved by Chandrayaan-2 so far.
Launched on July 22, it's lander named "Vikram" will attempt to make a soft-landing on the Lunar surface on Sept. 7. The lander has been named in honor of father of Indian space research programme - Vikram Sarabhai.
Earlier this month, Chandrayaan-2 had sent the first set of pictures of the Earth.
India vies to become the fourth country, following the United States, Russia and China, to land on the Moon.
The nearly 150 million U.S. dollars worth of Moon Mission aims at gathering data on water, minerals and rock formations on the lunar surface.