Dhaka, Sept 17 (UNB) - Bangladesh General Students’ Rights Protection Council, a platform which leads the quota reform movement, on Monday announced to continue its protest until its demands are met.
Hasan Al Mamun, convener of the platform, came up with the announcement at a press conference held in front of the Dhaka University (DU) Central Library around 5pm.
The press conference was arranged soon after the body, formed by the government to review the existing quota system in public service, recommended abolishing the quota system from 9th to 13th grades (1st class and 2nd class) of government jobs.
“We submitted our report to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today (Monday). Our proposal is that there shouldn’t be quota in the public recruitment for 9th to13th grades, meaning previous 1st class and 2nd class jobs," Cabinet Secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam said while briefing reporters at the Secretariat over the Cabinet meeting held at the Prime Minister’s Office.
Talking about the freedom fighters’ quota, he said, “We’ve taken opinions of legal experts when they said it’s a policy decision of the government and there’s a court verdict which shouldn’t be disobeyed.”
Mamun said, “Our message is clear. We always wanted reforms of the quota system, not abolishment. But if the government wants to abolish the quota system, it can do it."
He urged the government to withdraw all ‘false’ cases filed against students, punish those assaulted students during the movement and publish the gazette notification on the quota reforms as soon as possible.
Announcing to hold a protest rally in the city on Tuesday, the platform convener said, "We won’t go back to classes unless our demands are met."
Omar Faruq, a joint convener of the platform, said they welcome the recommendations to abolish the quota system. “But we can’t be assured until the gazette is published.”
Some other leaders and supporters of the quota reform platform were present at the press conference.
Dhaka, Sep 17 (UNB) –The first year honours admission results of Dhaka University (DU) ‘Ga’ Unit under Business Studies Faculty for 2018-19 academic session has been published on Monday with 10.98 percent pass rate.
A total of 25,958 candidates appeared in the admission test against 1,250 seats under the unit. Of them only 2,850 students secured the pass marks.
A total of 23,002 students failed to obtain the minimum pass mark of 48 in the test.
DU Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr. Md. Akhtaruzzaman announced the results at the central admission office of the administrative building of the University at 11:00am.
The result is available on www.admission.eis.du.ac.bd
The successful students (Merit list 1 to 1275) have to fill up and submit the “choice form” on the website between September 19 to October 1.
Dhaka, Sept 17 (UNB) – The Dhaka University authorities filed a leave to appeal petition against a High Court order that asked the DU authorities to take necessary steps within the next six months to hold Ducsu election.
Madhu Maloti Chowdhury Barua, advocate-on-record, filed the appeal on behalf of the DU authorities on Sunday.
Earlier on September 12, a contempt of court plea was filed with the High Court against Dhaka University vice-chancellor professor Akhtaruzzaman, proctor AKM Golam Rabbani and treasurer Kamal Uddin for not taking steps to arrange election of the DU Central Students' Union (Ducsu) in compliance with its earlier directives.
Lawyer Manzill filed the petition on behalf of those who had filed a writ petition over the issue.
Earlier on 4 September, Manzill Murshid served a contempt of court notice to the DU vice-chancellor and two others seeing their explanation as to why they did not take steps to hold the Ducsu election.
Earlier on 17 January last, the HC asked the DU authorities to take necessary steps within the next six months to hold the election.
A writ petition was filed by 25 students of DU in March 2012 seeking its order to compel the authorities concerned to arrange the election.
Sangsad Bhaban, Sept 16 (UNB) - Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Sunday said the issue of MPO enlistment of private educational institutions will be finalised by next month.
The minister said this while replying to a supplementary question from AKM Jahangir Hossain in Parliament.
After 2010, it was not possible to include any educational institution in the MPO for lack of approval of the Finance Ministry.
“We had requested the Finance Ministry to allocate money long time ago. The Finance Minister has agreed and allotted some money,” Nahid told the House.
The minister said his ministry has fixed criteria for the MPO enlistment and floated a circular in this connection. Now the interested institutions will apply online and there will be scrutiny, he added.
The issue will be finalised by next month after having the opinion of the Prime Minister, the minister said.
“But I can’t tell you how many institutions will be enlisted… there’re some matters here; we’re trying to increase the number and it’ll be finalised by next month,” he said.
Savar, Sept 16 (UNB) - A faction of Awami League-backed teachers of Jahangirnagar University (JU) staged a sit-in in front of the Vice-chancellor’s office on the campus on Sunday demanding dropping probe into the allegation of recording VC’s conversation secretly against two of their fellows.
Over 25 teachers under the banner of ‘Bangabandhur Adarsha O Muktijuddher Chetonay Biswashi Progatishil Shikkhak Samaj’ took position at in front of the VC office around 12 noon and continued their protest for half an hour.
Terming the allegation baseless, spokesman of the teacher’s group Associate Professor Farid Ahmed claimed that VC Prof Farzana Islam formed the probe body to investigate a ‘false’ allegation against Geography department teacher Prof Shahedur Rashid and
Associate Professor of the Law and Justice department Md Rabiul Islam.
‘There’s a specific ordinance of teachers’ discipline and skills in the university act. According to the act, only syndicate can investigate any allegation against any teacher of the university by forming a fact-finding committee,” he said.
“We came here to protest the illegal decision of the Vice-chancellor as she didn’t follow the law, Farid Ahmed added.
Meanwhile, Prof Farzana Islam was not in her office during the sit-in programme.
Earlier, a probe committee was formed with Prof Farhad Hossain of Statistics department as its head look into the allegation.
The JU teachers allegedly recorded the conversation of the VC through their mobile phones secretly during an informal meeting.