Dhaka, Sept 6 (UNB) – Touring Sri Lanka Air Force team beat Bangladesh Air Force team by 3-1 sets in a friendly volleyball match at the volleyball ground of BAF Base Bangabandhu on Thursday.
Air Officer Commanding of BAF Base Bangabandhu Air Vice Marshal M Shafiqul Alam witnessed the match as the chief guest and later he distributed prizes among the teams.
Senior officers, airmen and other members of Bangladesh Air Force were present on the occasion.
Sri Lanka Air Force volleyball team arrived here on September 3 in a tour aimed at strengthening the existing friendly relationship between BAF and SLAF.
Dhaka, Sept 6 (UNB) – Himalayan nation Nepal keep their semifinal hope alive from Group A of the seven-nation 12th SAFF Suzuki Cup’2018 thrashing Bhutan by 4-0 goals in their 2nd group match at the Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Thursday.
Nepal, which suffered 1-2 goals defeat against Pakistan in the opening match on Tuesday, smartly returned to the winning path playing with a purpose and accomplished their mission with a dominating victory over Bhutan, who eliminated from the meet with two successive defeats after 0-2 loss against hosts Bangladesh in first appearance
Bogota, Sep 5 (AP/UNB) — Colombia coach Jose Pekerman let his contract run out after six years and two World Cups with the team.
Pekerman's deal ended last Friday, and the Argentine's decision not to extend the contract was confirmed by Colombia Football Federation president Ramon Jesurun on Tuesday.
Arturo Reyes was appointed as interim coach for friendlies on Friday against Venezuela then on Tuesday against Argentina. Both games are in the United States.
Pekerman led Colombia to its first World Cup in 16 years, in 2014 in Brazil, and the team reached the quarterfinals.
He qualified Colombia again for the World Cup in Russia, where they were knocked out in the round of 16 by England in a penalty shootout.
Jesurun said last week he hoped the 69-year-old Pekerman would lead the team's effort to qualify for the Qatar World Cup in 2022.
"My Colombian daughter must be sad, but I leave with happiness for having people's support," Pekerman said after meeting with the federation.
"There has been a lot of damage to Colombia with all these rumors and conjectures. I said it when I arrived, we need to work together, support the national team to achieve great things. There is a hard path that has been walked and we need to keep up the great work."
Dhaka, Sept 5 (UNB) – Defending champions India started their seven-nation 12th SAFF Suzuki Cup 2018 campaign in style beating Sri Lanka by 2-0 goals in the opening Group B match at the country’s premier sports venue-- Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Wednesday.
With the day’s victory, the 7-times SAFF champions India clearly dominated the group list securing full three points from first match while Sri Lanka yet to open the account losing their opener.
In the remaining Group B matches, Sri Lanka will play the Maldives on Friday (Sept 7) at 7 pm while India will face the Maldives on Sunday (Sept 9), also at 7 pm, both at the Bangabandhu National Stadium here.
In the day’s lone match, Ashique Kuruniyan and Lallianzuala Chhangte scored for the holder India, one in each half.
India continued to put pressure from the very beginning and found the success in their fourth attempt in the 35th minute as midfielder Ashique Kuruniyan’s left footed ground shot from the right wing kissed the left corner of Sri Lankan net after carrying the ball from midfield, off a through pass of Sumit Passi (1-0).
Midfielder Lallianzuala Chhangte doubled the Indian margin in the 47th minute by a left footed shot from a difficult angle, off a Germanspreet Singh pass (2-0).
Sri Lanka saved three attempts of Indians forward Farukh Choudhary in the second half.
Choudhary’s header from the center of the box in the 88th minute, was saved in the bottom right corner, a right footed shot from outside the box was saved in the bottom left corner in the 81st minute and a left footed shot from the center of the box was saved in the center of the goal post.
India missed two opportunities in the 66th minute as Nikhil Poojari’s right footed shot from the center of the box went wide, following a corner.
Sumit Passi missed an opportunity in the very fourth minute. Passi took a right footed shot from the center of the box, receiving a cross from Ashique Kuruniyan, but his shot was saved by goalie Sujan Perera in the right corner of the post.
India kept 59 percent of ball control for the win while Sri Lanka hardly could manage chances with the ball control of 41 percent.
Sri Lanka took two successive fruitless attempts in the 17th and 18th minutes by midfielders Mohamed Rifnaz and Hewage Kavindu Ishan respectively.
Rifnaz right footed shot from more than 35 yards is close, but missed to the left from a direct freekick while H K Ishan’s right footed shot from outside the box misses to the left.
Sri Lanka brought three changes in their playing eleven as Nicholus Harsha Fernando, Asela Madushan and Sasanka Dilhara Jayasekara came in replacing injured Subash Madushan, Afeel Mohamed and Sajith Kumara Mendis respectively.
India brought changes in the second half with calling Nikhil Poojari, Manvir Singh and Vinit Rai to replace Ashique Kuruniyan, Sumit Passi and Anirudh Thapa respectively.
Corners: India got 12 corners while Sri Lanka one.
Yellow Cards: Hewage Kavindu Ishan, Sujan Perera, Ashikur Rahman, Anuruddha Warakagoda[Sri Lanka]. Sarthak Golui, Ashique Kuruniyan [India].
Dhaka, Sept 5 (UNB) – Hosts Bangladesh will play Pakistan in the seven-nation 12th SAFF Suzuki Cup 2018 at Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Thursday, eying a semifinal berth from Group A.
A victory for each team in the match beginning at 7pm will ensure a last four spot in the seven-nation football extravaganza.
Two losing sides of the group -– Nepal and Bhutan –- will lock horns for their survival at 4 pm also on Thursday. The defeated team will be eliminated from the race.
Hosts Bangladesh and Pakistan are dominating the Group A securing full three points from their first matches while Nepal and Bhutan are yet to open the account losing their respective first match.
Nepal lost to Pakistan by 1-2 goals while Bhutan conceded 0-2 goal defeat against Bangladesh in identical fashions.
Ahead of the 2nd match against Pakistan, Bangladesh coach Jamie Day was cautious to keep his foot in the ground.
Bangladesh avoided practice session on Wednesday trying to kick the fatigue out.
“Pakistan is a strong team and they have a number of players who have experiences of playing football in Europe. They are also good in counter attacks. It’s an important match for us and we’ll be cautious not to make any mistakes,” said the Bangladesh coach.
Pakistan’s Brazilian coach Antonio Nogueria was fully confident of the challenge.
“We’re back at the international scene with a bang. We have a plan to give our best and we did the best. We were the more attacking team and we will continue to do that,” he said.
Pakistan team are more efficient on the counterattack with forward Saadullah and Muhammad Ali leading the front. Guided by experienced Zesh Rehman, Pakistani four backs were also well-organised to foil Bangladesh attacks.
Nepal and Bhutan go through their battle of existence in the SAFF Championship.
Penalties and counterattacks ruled the opening day’s matches on Tuesday as both the Himalayan countries (Nepal and Bhutan) conceded defeat in their openers.
Pakistan took the lead off a penalty and netted the winner off a quick counterattack in the dying minutes. Bangladesh also nailed Bhutan with an early penalty and struck the second off a speedy counterattack early after the re-start.
Nepal coach Bal Gopal Maharjan has a good confidence on his attacking trio -- Bharat Khawas, Bimal Bharti Magar and Nawjug Shreshta -- who are able to deliver when required.
“I admit that they lacked the right rhythm against Pakistan, but I believe our time is not over. We have another two very hard matches to prove our worth,” he said.
Nepal have to work on its defence also as the defenders provided more space for their opponents in the crucial stages.
Bhutan saw their talisman Chencho Gyaltsen failing to make the impact and let the team down missing an open net against Bangladesh.
Tightly marked by the defenders, Chencho was looking for the air with the supply from the midfield also being relatively short. Bhutan have to rise on the occasion to save them from elimination.