Dhaka, Oct 24 (UNB) – Bangladesh Women’s Football team suffered 0-7 goal defeat against Asian giant South Korea in the opening match of the four-team Group D of the AFC U-19 Women’s Championship Qualifiers at the Republican Central Stadium in Dushanbe on Wednesday.
South Korea, which finished 3rd in the U-19 World Cup Football in 2010, led the first half by 3-0 goals.
ChooHyojoo, Kang Jiwoo, MunJinseo, Jung Minyoung, substitute Park, Kim Seoyeon and Kim Elin Soul scored one each for the Republic of Korea (ROK).
Bangladesh team, which yet to play any competitive match against South Korea, conceded a 0-6 goals defeat against South Korea in a friendly match earlier.
Hosts Tajikistan is facing Chinese Taipei in the other opening day’s fixture of Group D at the same venue on Wednesday.
Putting in tough Group D of the AFC U-19 Women’s mseet along with South Korea, Chinese Taipei and hosts Tajikistan, Bangladesh will play Chinese Taipei on October 26 and hosts Tajikistan on October 28 in the remaining group matches, all at the Republican Central Stadium in Dushanbe.
In the other group matches on Wednesday, Australia crushed Mongolia 18-0, India trounced their arch-rivals Pakistan 18-0, Uzbekistan cruched the Maldives 20-0, Jordan beat Singapore 8-0 and Iran defeated Laos by 4-0 goals.
Mishrat Jahan Mousumil ead the Bangladesh team, mostly consisting of the players of SAFF U-18 Champions Bangladesh team that played in Bhutan, failed to fight with their superior and tough opponent South Korea.
Manchester, Oct 24 (AP/UNB) — Cristiano Ronaldo was walking off the field, a winner once again at Old Trafford, when two young fans brandishing cell phones attempted to get to the Portugal superstar.
One was rugby-tackled to the ground by security staff; the other was forcibly held back. But the five-time world player of the year hung around and, with a broad smile, eventually gave them the selfie they craved.
Ronaldo certainly enjoyed his return to former club Manchester United on Tuesday. Juventus, Ronaldo's new team, beat United 1-0 for a third straight win in the Champions League, moving the Italian club to the brink of qualification just halfway through the group phase.
Unlike the last time he was at the stadium — for Real Madrid in 2013 — Ronaldo didn't score but he was involved in the only goal, sending in a cross from the right wing that was eventually swept home by Paulo Dybala in the 17th minute.
Dangerous going forward and typically obdurate at the back, Juventus delivered a powerful performance that extended its unbeaten start to the season to 11 games and strengthened its status as one of the serious contenders for the Champions League — a competition it hasn't won since 1996.
With Ronaldo leading the attack, this might be its best chance in years to end the drought. "We played against one of the biggest — really biggest — candidates to win the Champions League," said United manager Jose Mourinho, who was effusive in his praise for the Italian side. Not just of Ronaldo, but especially of Juventus' two dominant center backs.
"Mr. Bonucci and Mr. Chiellini could teach classes in Harvard on how to be a central defender," Mourinho said.
This was another chastening loss — a fourth of the season — for United, highlighting the gulf between the heavyweights of the continent and what was once England's top team. Juventus toyed with United at times, especially in the first half. But this night was all about Ronaldo, as it often is.
He was always going to be the focal point of this game anyway but attention grew even more in the wake of an allegation of rape against him in the United States. Kathryn Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit last month in Nevada claiming the Portuguese star raped her in his Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Police also reopened an investigation into the allegation at her request. Ronaldo's attorney, Peter S. Christiansen, issued a statement on Oct. 10 denying wrongdoing by his client.
Five years ago, Ronaldo was introduced as the "magnificent seven" when he came to Old Trafford — where he played for United from 2003-09 — with Madrid for a last-16 match in 2013. He was given a standing ovation by United fans that night and ended up scoring the winning goal to eliminate his former club from the Champions League.
On Tuesday, Ronaldo wasn't given the big build-up by the stadium announcer as the team lineup was read out but his name was cheered loudly by home supporters. And a few minutes into the game, a fan came onto the playing surface from the Stretford End stand and got to within a few meters of Ronaldo at the other end of the field before being stopped by slow-reacting security.
As he lay on the ground, the fan stretched his arms toward Ronaldo, almost pleadingly. Then came the incident involving the pitch invaders at the end of the match. Ronaldo was applauded by fans for giving them their selfie.
During the match, Ronaldo's flicks, tricks and power were all on display as he switched from the left flank to a central position. However, Dybala was arguably the most impressive of Juventus' attackers and the Argentina international grabbed the winner. Ronaldo delivered a cross from the right wing, United defender Chris Smalling got in front of Juan Cuadrado at the near post to block the ball but it fell to Dybala, who converted from the edge of six-yard box.
United took a while to get going, having already arrived at the stadium later than planned because the team bus carrying the players got stuck in traffic around Old Trafford. The same thing happened before United's last home group game, against Valencia, but this time kickoff didn't need to be delayed.
Ronaldo had a free kick late in the first half batted away by United goalkeeper David De Gea, who then tipped over a fiercely struck shot from the Portugal forward soon after halftime.
United rallied in the final half hour, and Paul Pogba saw a curling shot hit the post before bouncing off goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny to safety. "What the players showed today," said Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri, "was when to slow the game down, when to speed the game up." Juventus has nine points, five more than second-place United.
Dhaka, Oct 24 (AP/UNB) - FIFA President Gianni Infantino is doubling down on his Club World Cup plans with a proposal for an expanded annual tournament despite European soccer's resistance to any competition that challenges the supremacy of the Champions League, a person with knowledge of the talks told The Associated Press.
The revised proposal amends an initial plan to play a 24-team Club World Cup every four years. The new format will be discussed at the FIFA Council meeting in Rwanda on Friday, the person said on condition of anonymity because the discussions were confidential.
UEFA has stymied Infantino's attempts since March to gain approval for the new FIFA competitions, which would have $25 billion of income guaranteed by an international consortium including Japan's SoftBank.
The proposals, which include a global Nations League as a mini-World Cup every two years, were formed by FIFA to eliminate two little-regarded competitions: the current annual seven-team Club World Cup held in December and the Confederations Cup for international teams held every four years. The proposal only covers men's soccer and does not include new competitions women.
The original plan sent to FIFA Council members in April said a 24-team Club World Cup would be worth at least $3 billion for each edition, played in June-July every fourth year from 2021 through 2033. Half the slots would be taken by European clubs, ensuring the competition could weaken the status of the UEFA-run Champions League.
But discussions in recent months with global soccer leaders have encouraged FIFA to propose keeping the annual format but with more teams, said the person, who added that Infantino favored a July-August event but he is open to another slot. Playing in the northern hemisphere summer would pose a threat to the annual preseason friendly tournament for Europe's leading clubs which is organized by Relevent Sports, a company controlled by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross.
While Infantino has convinced some teams to back his plans in public, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, the umbrella European Club Association has called for the workload on players to be reduced rather than increased.
Infantino won't use the meeting in Kigali to gain approval for the final configuration of competition formats but he wants to secure agreement on the principle that the existing Club World Cup and Confederations Cup need to be replaced, the person said. FIFA would then spend the coming months consulting further on the formats.
Infantino is pressing ahead with trying to implement the biggest revamp of soccer tournaments this century after gaining support from the regional confederations apart from UEFA, the person said. FIFA would have a 51 percent stake in the joint venture with the investors.
Rome, Oct 24 (AP/UNB) — Edin Dzeko's recent scoring rate in the Champions League has put him on par with Lionel Messi.
Dzeko's brace in Roma's 3-0 win over CSKA Moscow on Tuesday gave the Bosnia and Herzegovina striker five goals this season to draw level with Barcelona's Messi atop the competition's scoring chart. Moreover, Dzeko has scored 10 in his last eight matches stretching back to Roma's semifinal run last season.
Dzeko's two-goal performance follows his hat trick against Viktoria Plzen earlier this month. Messi will miss Barcelona's match against Inter Milan on Wednesday with a broken right forearm. "This is the best competition to score in," said Dzeko, who has two goals in eight Serie A matches this season. "Now we'll try to win in Moscow, but we certainly can't lose there."
Roma moved atop Group G with six points, ahead of Real Madrid on goal difference. CSKA, which host Roma in the next round, is next with four points while Plzen is last with one. Madrid beat Plzen 2-1 in Tuesday's other group match.
Dzeko also set up Roma's third goal from Cengiz Under with a headed pass. Before the match, at least 20 people — mostly CSKA fans — were injured when an escalator in the Rome metro broke. Videos showed the escalator accelerating suddenly, and people riding down on it collapsing one onto another.
Firefighters said seven people were in serious condition. Also, one CSKA fan was slashed with a knife during clashes between opposing fans outside the Stadio Olimpico, the ANSA news agency reported. Toward the end of the match, CSKA fans threw flares onto the running track surrounding the field.
Dzeko tapped in his first goal following an exchange between Lorenzo Pellegrini and Stephan El Shaarawy. In all, there were 29 passes in the buildup to the goal, the most in the Champions League since Lucas Digne scored for Barcelona against Celtic a year ago — when there were also 29 passes.
Dzeko's second was again set up by Pellegrini and El Shaarawy, whose pass kept Dzeko onside for a shot into the far corner. After the break, Dzeko rose to meet a pass from Alessandro Florenzi and nodded it toward under, who blasted it in.
Dhaka, Oct 23 (UNB) – A 32-member Bangladesh Football team reached at the Nepalese capital Kathmandu on Tuesday to participate in the six-nation SAFF U-15 Championship which will begin from Thursday at ANFA Complex with an initial target of reaching to the semifinals.
The team left the Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka in the morning and reached safely at Kathmandu by a BG flight at noon.
The Bangladesh team, which comprised of 23 players and nine officials, were staying at Hotel Pilgrems in Thamel area of the Nepalese capital and taking rest as there was no training session on the day.
Bangladesh, which was placed in Group A of the SAFF U-15 Championship with the Maldives and hosts Nepal, will play their first match against the Maldives on Saturday (October 27) at 3:30 pm and will face Nepal on Monday (October 29), at the same time and venue.
Two arch-rivals--India and Pakistan—will play the inaugural match on Thursday (October 25) at 11:30 am at the same venue while the Maldives will face host Nepal in the other opening day’s fixture at 3:30 pm. All the South Asian countries except Sri Lanka were taking part in the meet.
Pakistan, which was put in Group B with India and Bhutan, will play Bhutan at 11:30 am on October 27 while India will meet Bhutan on October 29 at 11:30 am.
Earlier, in a pre-tour press conference at BFF office on Monday afternoon, coach of Bangladesh U-15 team, Mostofa Anwar Parvez Babu said “We have prepared the team for two and half months and our initial target is to play in the semifinals, despite we have no clear idea about the opponents.”
Bangladesh Team leader, Mohammad Sabbir Hosain and Team Manager, Amit Khan Shuvro also spoke on the occasion.
Both the semifinals will be held on November 1 while the final match will commence on November 3 at 3:30 pm at the same venue.
Bangladesh women’s emerged champions in the SAFF U-18 Women’s Championship in Bhutan early this month while another Bangladesh Women’s team is now in Tajikistan to play in the AFC U-19 Championship qualifiers and this is the time for Bangladesh U-15 boys’ team to make a good result in Nepal.