Chicago, Feb 23 (AP/UNB) — R. Kelly, the R&B star who has been trailed for decades by allegations that he violated underage girls and women and held some as virtual slaves, is due in court Saturday after being charged with aggravated sexual abuse involving four victims, including at least three between the ages of 13 and 17.
In a brief appearance before reporters, Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx on Friday announced the 10 counts against the 52-year-old Grammy winner, whose real name is Robert Kelly. She said the abuse dated back as far as 1998 and spanned more than a decade. She did not comment on the charges or take questions.
Kelly was driven to a Chicago police station in a dark colored van with heavily tinted rear windows around 8:15 p.m. Friday. He did not respond to questions from gathered reporters as he walked inside the building.
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted a short time later that Kelly was under arrest. He was expected to be held overnight before an appearance Saturday in bond court.
Kelly's attorney, Steve Greenberg, told reporters following the singer's arrest that one of the charges he faces appears to be tied to a decade-old child pornography case.
"Double jeopardy should bar that case," Greenberg said. "He won that case."
Kelly, who was acquitted of child pornography charges in 2008, has consistently denied any sexual misconduct.
Greenberg said he thinks prosecutors rushed to judgment Friday in charging Kelly, calling the singer "an innocent man."
"Mr. Kelly is strong," Greenberg added. "He's got a lot of support and he's going to be vindicated on all these charges."
The arrest sets the stage for another #MeToo-era celebrity trial. Bill Cosby went to prison last year, and former Hollywood studio boss Harvey Weinstein is awaiting trial.
Best known for hits such as "I Believe I Can Fly," Kelly was charged a week after Michael Avenatti, the attorney whose clients have included porn star Stormy Daniels, said he gave prosecutors new video evidence of the singer with an underage girl.
At a news conference earlier Friday in Chicago, Avenatti said a 14-year-old girl seen with R. Kelly on the video is among four victims mentioned in the indictment. He said the footage shows two separate scenes on two separate days at Kelly's residence in the late 1990s.
During the video, both the victim and Kelly refer to her age 10 times, he said.
Avenatti said he represents six clients, including two victims, two parents and two people he describes as "knowing R. Kelly and being within his inner circle for the better part of 25 years."
"I don't know what the tape is," Greenberg said of the video Avenatti gave prosecutors. "We haven't seen it. No one's showed us the tape."
The new charges marked "a watershed moment," Avenatti said, adding that he believes more than 10 other people associated with Kelly should be charged as "enablers" for helping with the assaults, transporting minors and covering up evidence.
The video surfaced during a 10-month investigation by Avenatti's office. He told the AP that the person who provided the VHS tape knew both Kelly and the female in the video.
The jury in 2008 acquitted Kelly of child pornography charges that arose from a graphic video that prosecutors said showed him having sex with a girl as young as 13. He and the young woman allegedly seen with him denied they were in the 27-minute video, even though the picture quality was good and witnesses testified it was them, and she did not take the stand. Kelly could have gotten 15 years in prison.
Charging Kelly now for actions that occurred in the same time frame as the allegations from the 2008 trial suggests the accusers are cooperating this time and willing to testify.
Because the alleged victim 10 years ago denied that she was on the video and did not testify, the state's attorney office had little recourse except to charge the lesser offense under Illinois law, child pornography, which required a lower standard of evidence.
Each count of the new charges carries up to seven years in prison. If Kelly is convicted on all 10 counts, a judge could decide that the sentences run one after the other — making it possible for him to receive up to 70 years behind bars. Probation is also an option under the statute.
Greenberg said he offered to sit down with prosecutors before charges were filed to discuss why the allegations were "baseless." But they refused, he said.
"Unfortunately, they have succumbed to the court of public opinion, who've convicted him," he said.
Legally and professionally, the walls began closing in on Kelly after the release of a BBC documentary about him last year and the multipart Lifetime documentary "Surviving R. Kelly," which aired last month. Together they detailed allegations he was holding women against their will and running a "sex cult."
#MeToo activists and a social media movement using the hashtag #MuteRKelly called on streaming services to drop Kelly's music and promoters not to book any more concerts. Protesters demonstrated outside Kelly's Chicago studio.
As recently as Thursday, two women held a news conference in New York to describe how Kelly picked them out of a crowd at a Baltimore after-party in the mid-1990s when they were underage. They said Kelly had sex with one of the teens when she was under the influence of marijuana and alcohol and could not consent.
Latresa Scaff and Rochelle Washington were joined by lawyer Gloria Allred when they told their story publicly for the first time.
In the indictment, the prosecution addressed the question of the statute of limitations, saying that even abuse that happened more than two decades ago falls within the charging window allowed under Illinois law. Victims typically have 20 years to report abuse, beginning when they turn 18.
The singer and songwriter, whose legal name is Robert Kelly, rose from poverty on Chicago's South Side and has retained a sizable following. He has written numerous hits for himself and other artists, including Celine Dion, Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga. His collaborators have included Jay-Z and Usher.
Kelly broke into the R&B scene in 1993 with his first solo album, "12 Play," which produced such popular sex-themed songs as "Bump N' Grind" and "Your Body's Callin'."
Months after those successes, the then-27-year-old Kelly faced allegations he married 15-year-old Aaliyah, the R&B star who later died in a plane crash in the Bahamas. Kelly was the lead songwriter and producer of Aaliyah's 1994 debut album.
Kelly and Aaliyah never confirmed the marriage, though Vibe magazine published a copy of the purported marriage license. Court documents later obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times showed Aaliyah admitted lying about her age on the license.
Jim DeRogatis, a longtime music critic for the Chicago Sun-Times, played a key role in drawing the attention of law enforcement to Kelly. In 2002, he received the sex tape in the mail that was central to Kelly's 2008 trial. He turned it over to prosecutors. In 2017, DeRogatis wrote a story for BuzzFeed about the allegations Kelly was holding women against their will in Georgia.
Dhaka, Feb 22 (UNB)- Art lovers and experts on Friday gathered to enjoy some of the finest works of woodcut at a group exhibition titled 'Musicality in Woods'.
The exhibition, an endeavour of Cosmos Group and Cosmos-Atelier 71, is being held at Gallery Cosmos in New DOHS area of Dhaka’s Mohakhali. Woodblock prints produced by 30 talented artists are being showcased.
Woodblock or woodcut is a traditional form of relief printing where the artist’s design or drawing is made on a piece of wood, and the untouched areas are then cut away with gouges, leaving the raised image which is then inked.
The 12-day exhibition is the outcome of an eponymous printmaking workshop on woodblock prints held at Cosmos-Atelier 71. It was conducted by artist Professor Anisuzzaman Anis, Faculty of Fine Arts of Dhaka University.
Prominent artist Monirul Islam inaugurated the exhibition as the special guest. Tehmina Enayet, Director of Gallery Cosmos, was also present at the inaugural ceremony.
Monirul lauded Cosmos Group for supporting young artists, saying, “Bangladesh holds a big position in woodcut globally.”
He said the works of Bangladeshi artists are unparalleled despite several limitations of etching and woodblock. “Dedication is the most important [thing] for woodcut,” the artist said about the long process required for this form of art.
Anisuzzaman also praised the support of Cosmos Group and Cosmos-Atelier 71 while conducting the workshop.
Brazilian Ambassador to Bangladesh Joao Tabajara said he was fascinated. “I’m seeing arts that I've never seen before,” he said, praising the woodcut arts as “creative and aesthetically balanced.”
The exhibition will run from 12pm to 8pm every day until March 5 at Villa de Anjuman, House-115, Lane-6 of New DOHS.
Dhaka, Feb 22 (UNB) - An art competition on fishing cat with the participation of the students of a primary school was held in Barlekha upazila of Moulvibazar district on Thursday.
Around 65 students from classes III, IV and V of Halla Govt Primary School took part in the competition organised as part of the ‘Fishing Cat Research Project in Hakaluki Haor’ funded by the Toyota Foundation in collaboration with Jahangirnagar University teacher Prof Dr MA Aziz.
The school is situated just by a place called “Pakhi Bari” which is the home to thousands of birds.
Research assistants of the project Meherun Niger Sultana and Anwar Palash together with headmaster Bishnu Pada Chakraborty and other teachers of the school organised the event with the help of Sultan Ahmed, Sakib Bin Anwar and Ismail Hossain, said a press release.
Some of the drawings by students indicate confusion between a fishing cat and a tiger.
"This is common perception in Hakaluki Haor, but fishing cat is not tiger. Biologically, they’re closer to leopard cat than tiger. Strong fear towards fishing cat accelerates killing of this species. Fishing cat may play an important role in controlling rat population. Forcing extinction of those carnivores is not wise for people and their livelihood in the Hakaluki Haor," said leading researcher Dr Ai Suzuki.
Dhaka, Feb 19 (UNB) - Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy (BSA) celebrated its 45th founding anniversary on Tuesday.
Elaborate programmes were organjsed on the academy premises on the occasion. The programmes featured discussion, cultural events and acrobatic show.
State Minister for Cultural Affairs KM Khalid was present as the chief guest at the discussion and cultural session while BSA Director General Liaquat Ali Lucky presided over the event.
An exhibition, based on the works of all departments and sections of BSA, was held at the National Art Plaza of BSA.
Its district branches arranged festivals, programmes and training on various fine and performing arts.
Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy is the principal state-sponsored national cultural centre of the country.
Dhaka, Feb 18 (UNB) - Chhayanaut, a leading cultural outfit of Bangladesh, was honoured with India’s prestigious Rabindranath Tagore Award for cultural harmony on Monday for the year 2015 by Indian President Ram Nath Kovind.
Chhayanaut is a cultural organisation of Bangladesh which has played a leading role in the promotion of Tagore’s works and Bangla arts and literature not only within Bangladesh, but all across the world.
It also has rushed to the aid of people at times of famines, floods or riots, bringing people together to resolve crises with songs of protest on their lips.
While handing over the award at a function held at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi, President Kovind said cooperation between Bangladesh and India in recent years in connectivity and developmental projects and in people-to-people engagement is blessed by the ethos of ‘Gurudev’.
Chhayanaut President Sanjida Khatun received the award, which carries Rs one crore, a citation and an exquisite handicraft item, said Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi.
In her award acceptance speech which began with a Tagore song, Sanjida Khatun said Chhayanaut was honoured to receive the recognition named after Rabindranath from the Indian government.
“You’ve given us more than an award. You’ve inspired us to continue to pass on our cultural heritage and strive for fellowship and harmony,” she said.
Speaking on the occasion, the Indian President said this Award is a celebration of Indian traditions of culture and of our civilisational wealth – whether in literature or music, art or drama, sculpture or handicrafts, design or digital art.
“Each region in our country has a distinct cultural identity. Yet, in its essence, culture does not divide – it unites and harmonises all of India and all of humanity,” Press Information Bureau (PIB) of India quoted him as saying.
Congratulating the awardees, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said it was Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore who understood the strength of diversity of our country and inculcated it in his Rabindra Sangeet.
The Prime Minister said Gurudev is respected internationally. The character and message emanating from the works of Gurudev transcend time and circumstance.
The Prime Minister added that in view of the conditions which prevail in the world today, it has become even more relevant to propagate the message of harmony and peace of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
The Indian President also presented the Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the years 2014 and 2016 to Rajkumar Singhajit Singh and Ram Vanji Sutar respectively, on the same day.
In his welcome address, Minister of State for Culture (IC) Dr Mahesh Sharma said it is a matter of great pride for them to honor Rajkumar Singhajit Singh, Chhayanaut and Ram Vanji Sutar who have done great work to carry forward the legacy of cultural harmony of Rabindranath Tagore.
The Tagore award for Cultural Harmony was introduced in 2012 and the first two recipients were sitar maestro Pandit Ravi Shankar and composer Zubin Mehta in 2012 and 2013.