Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) – The Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a High Court order that directed a medicine supplier to pay as compensation Tk 5 lakh to each of 17 people who lost their eyesight after their treatment went horribly wrong in March last.
The seven-member bench, led by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, did not pass any order on a petition filed by medicine supplier ‘Irish Enterprise’ seeking a stay on the High Court order.
Amit Das Gupta, who filed a writ petition in the form of public interest litigation, said there is no bar to the execution of the High Court order following the Appellate Division order.
Earlier on October 21, the High Court ordered Impact Masudul Haque Memorial Hospital and its medicine supplier ‘Irish Enterprise’ to pay as compensation Tk 10 lakh to each of the 17 people who lost their eyesight following the wrong treatment.
According to the HC order, Impact Masudul Haque Memorial Hospital and Irish Company had to pay Tk 5 lakh each to every victim.
The hospital distributed the compensation money on November 13 as per the HC order.
But the medicine supplier filed a petition with the Chamber Judge Court seeking a stay on the HC order.
On November 11, the Chamber Judge did not pass any order and sent the petition to the full Appellate Division.
Advocate Das Gupta filed the writ with the HC following a report published in a national daily on March 29 stating that 20 people had lost their eyesight following a surgery at a three-day eye camp.
Following the writ petition, the HC bench on April 1 issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain why Tk 1-crore compensation would not be given to each of the 17 people who have lost their eyesight after surgery at Impact Memorial Community Health Centre in Chuadanga on March 5.
On March 5, a total of 24 patients underwent cataract operations at the hospital and all the patients were released a day after the surgery. But a few hours later, 20 of them felt severe pain in their eyes due to infection. Sensing danger, the hospital authorities secretly took them to Islamia Eye Hospital and Vision Eye Hospital in Dhaka.
Later, each of the 20 patients had to settle for a surgery and their infected eyes were removed.
Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) – The High Court on Thursday granted bail to prominent photographer Shahidul Alam in a case filed under the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Act for spreading ‘propaganda through his Facebook account’ during the student movement demanding safe roads.
The High Court bench of Justice Sheikh Abdul Awal and Justice Bhishmadev Chakrabortty passed the order after hearing on a rule.
Barrister Sara Hossain and Barrister Jyotirmoy Barua stood for Shahidul Alam.
Sara Hossain said the court granted Shahidul Alam bail considering his physical condition.
Earlier on October 7, the High Court issued a rule asking the authorities concerned of the government to explain within seven days as to why Shahidul Alam, also Drik Gallery managing director and founder of Pathshala South Asian Media Institute, should not be granted bail in the case.
On September 11, Judge KM Imrul Kayes of Dhaka Metropolitan Session Judge’s Court denied bail to Shahidul in the case.
Shahidul Alam filed a bail petition with the HC on August 28 through his lawyers -- Sara Hossain and Jyotirmoy Barua -- saying that he might be granted bail as he was ill.
On September 4, a judge of a two-member High Court bench felt ‘embarrassed’ to hear the bail petition in the case.
On the same day, the HC bench forwarded the petition to the Chief Justice for a decision.
On September 5, the HC directed the authorities concerned to provide first-class division to photographer Shahidul in jail after hearing of the writ petition.
Detectives arrested Shahidul Alam from his Dhanmondi residence on August 5 and the case was filed against him with Ramna Police Station on August 6.
Dhaka, Nov 15 (UNB) –The three cases which were filed with Paltan Police Station on charges of vandalism, arson attack and obstructing police from discharging their duties during Wednesday’s violence in front of BNP’s Noyapaltan Central Office, have been transferred to Detective Branch of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP).
Contacted, Deputy Commissioner (Motijheel division) of the DMP Anwar Hossain said that the DB would investigate the three cases as they were transferred to the DB on Thursday.
At least 65 people were shown arrested in the three cases filed in connection with Wednesday’s clash between BNP activists and law enforcers in front of the party's Nayapaltan central office.
The cases were filed on Wednesday night with Paltan Police Station on charge of vandalism, arson attack and obstructing police from discharging their duties, said Sub-inspector Faruk, duty officer of the police station.
BNP Standing Committee Member Mirza Abbas, his wife Shahida were among the accused.
At least 50 people, including 23 police, were injured in a clash between BNP leaders and activists and law enforcers in front of the party's Nayapaltan central office on the third day of the party's nomination form sale.
Police lobbed teargas shells, rubber bullets and charged batons while two police cars were torched during the clash that began around 12:50pm and lasted for around 25 minutes.
Brahmanbaria, Nov 14 (UNB) – A court here on Wednesday sentenced a woman and two other men to death for killing her husband over extramarital affair in the municipality area in Sadar upazila in 2011.
The condemned convicts are—Salma Begum, second wife of victim Abdul Karim and her lover Sajal Debnath and Alal Miah, residents of Bhadhudhar village. Among the convicts, Sajal and Alal remained absconding.
According to the prosecution, Salma along with the help of Sajal and Alal strangled Karim to death and dumped the body on June 5, 2011.
Later, police recovered the body.
Victim’s first wife Sheuli Begum filed the case accusing four people.
After examining all the records and witnesses, additional district and sessions judge Sheikh Sultana Rajia handed down the verdict acquitting one accused- Liton Debnath.
Dhaka, Nov 13 (UNB) - The High Court on Tuesday acquitted all the eight accused who were convicted by a trial court on charges of killing Eden Mohila College student Sadia Nur Mita.
An HC bench of Justice Md Ruhul Quddus and Justice ASM Abdul Mobin passed the order after hearing the death reference and appeal petitions filed by the convicts.
Advocate Fazlul Haq Khan Farid and SM Shahzahan stood for the convicts while deputy attorney general Maniruzzaman Rubel represented the state.
Maniruzzaman said the HC acquitted all the eight convicts for lack of eyewitnesses. “We’ll file an appeal petition challenging the HC order,” he said.
The Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-4 Judge sentenced three people to death and five others to five years’ imprisonment on March 13, 2013 over the killing of the college girl.
The three condemned convicts were Nipun, Mamun and Dagu while those who got five years in prison were Tushar Kazi, Jony, Sraboni and Sheikh Nazmul.
Later, the death reference of the condemned convicts was sent to the High Court. Besides, all the convicts filed appeal petitions challenging the lower court verdict.
On August 30, 2010, Sadia Nur Mia, a student of Eden Mohila College and daughter of Liakat Hossain Mollah, went missing from her residence in Gopalganj and later, she was found dead at a pond adjacent to her house.
Victim’s father filed a case with Gopalganj Police Station in this regard.
According to the first information report of the case, Mitu had gone missing while sleeping with her sibling Antara and cousin Sraboni.
Later, police submitted a charge-sheet against eight people, including Sraboni.