Dhaka, Oct 31 (UNB) – The High Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of three muggers over the killing of television journalist Shafiqul Islam Mithu in 2010.
An HC bench of Justice Bhabani Prasad Singh and Justice Mustafa Zaman pronounced the verdict after hearing petitions filed by the convicts against the death sentence and the death reference.
The convicts are Sujan, son of Piar Miah of Bukkati village in Gosairhat upazila of Shariatpur, Saju, son of Kochi Miah of Savar, and Ratan, son of Jahangir Miah of Madhupur upazila in Tangail.
According to the prosecution, Shafiqul Islam Mithu, a senior cameraperson of private TV channel ATN Bangla, was waiting for vehicle at night in Farmgate area on May 8, 2010 when a gang of muggers in a private car picked him promising to drop him on the Airport Road.
However, they looted the belongings of the journalist and strangulated him to death once they came to know about his identity.
The body was recovered from Rustampur under Turag Police Station on the outskirts of the capital.
Victim’s brother Rahmatul Islam filed a case with Turag Police Station in this regard.
On February 26, 2013, Judge Dr Md Akhtaruzzaman of Additional Dhaka Metropolitan Session’s Judges Court- 3 awarded death plenty to the trio.
The court also fined each of them Tk 20,000.
Meanwhile, another accused in the case-- Rahat Khan -- was killed in a gunfight with police during the trial proceedings.
Dhaka, Oct 31 (UNB) – A court here on Wednesday convicted six muggers and sentenced two to death and four others to life term imprisonment for killing their cohort in Shahjahanpur area here in 2005 over sharing snatched money.
The condemned convicted are Moazzem Hossain and Babu alias Kana Babu where the lifers are- Akir Hossain, Monir Hossain, Amir Hossain and Abdul Azi alias Azi.
The court also fined the lifers Tk 20,000 each, in default, to suffer one year more imprisonment.
According to the prosecution, there had been a dispute among the members of a mugging gang over sharing Tk 70000.
Later, the gang members cut their cohort Abdul Latif’s tendons and slaughtered him on March 23, 2005 and kept the body on the rooftop of the house at Shahjahanpur.
On information, police recovered the body.
Later, Shah Alam, sub-inspector of Motijheel Police Station filed the case.
On February 27 2007, investigation officer Shahab Uddin, also sub-inspector of the police station, submitted chargesheet against six people.
After examining all the records and witnesses, Judge Abdur Rahman Sarder of Dhaka speedy trial tribunal-4, handed down the verdict.
Raising question about the efficiency of the investigation officer, the court in its observation in the verdict mentioned that though gang leader Ferdous gave the order for the murder, the investigation officer submitted the chargesheet excluding Ferdous, which is not acceptable, said bench assistant Abul Kalam Azad of the court.
However, the court did not give any order to take departmental action as the IO went on retirement.
Dhaka, Oct 31 (UNB) – Police reportedly arrested at least 20 leaders and activists of BNP and its associate bodies, including Sramik Dal president Anwar Hossain, after the party’s human chain programme in the city.
“Police arrested our 20-25 leaders and activists just after the conclusion of our human-chain programme in front of the Jatiya Press Club,” BNP assistant organising secretary Abdus Salam Azad told UNB.
He said the arrested party leaders include Anwar Hossain, Dhaka north city unit organising secretary Farroque Hossain, its leaders Amir Hossain, Ripon, Mahbubur Rahman Dipu and Mostak Sarker.
The BNP leader said the arrested BNP men were taken to Shahbagh and Ramna police stations.
BNP formed the human chain protesting the conviction of its chairperson Khaleda Zia in Zia Charitable Trust graft case.
Several hundred BNP leaders and followers formed the human chain around 11:00 am in front of the Jatiya Press Club amid tight security.
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir and its other senior leaders addressed the programme.
A good number of party leaders and activists started leaving the programme venue after 11:30 am fearing police actions after its conclusion.
Before concluding the rally 6 minutes ahead of the scheduled time, Fakhrul called upon the law enforcers not to arrest their party leaders and activists on their way back home.
“I would like to call upon the law enforcers you please don’t arrest anyone from here. It’s our request to you,” he insisted.
Satkhira, Oct 31 (UNB) – Police in separate drives arrested seven leaders and activists of Jamaat-e-Islami including Advocate Rabiul Islam Khan, convener of Nagorik Oikkya, from different places in Sadar upazila early Wednesday.
The other arrestees include Maulana Abdul Waresh Ali, Yeasin Ali, Abul Hossian, Akteruzzaman, Bablu, Rabiul Islam and Rubel Hossain.
Tipped off, a team of police conducted separate drives in the areas and arrested them in connection with sabotage cases, said Mostafizur Rahman, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station.
New York (AP/UNB) - A prosecutor and a defence attorney agreed Tuesday that a Bangladeshi immigrant detonated a pipe bomb last year in a crowded subway corridor near Times Square, but they asked a federal jury to choose between conflicting accounts of why he did it - either as an act of terror or one of personal desperation.
In opening statements at the trial of Akayed Ullah, prosecutor Rebekah Donaleski described the would-be suicide bomber as a homegrown terrorist who was radicalized by Islamic State group propaganda on the internet.
She said the device, which was loaded with screws as shrapnel, was meant to cause death and destruction during the morning rush.
READ MORE: Akayed Ullah ‘born and brought up in Dhaka’
Authorities say lives were spared when the bomb Ullah had duct-taped to his chest - triggered by a nine-volt battery in his pocket - didn't fully explode, leaving him the only one seriously injured. But Donaleski said Ullah's intent was clear.
"He designed it. He built it. ... He picked the time. He picked the location," the prosecutor said. His goal, she added, was "to terrorize Americans in the name of ISIS." Defence attorney Julia Gatto said in her opening that there was no proof Ullah took any direction from the Islamic State or had contact with any of its members urging an attack.
"We're not going to ask you to excuse his conduct," Gatto told jurors. But she added that the government had "overreached" by charging her client with using a weapon of mass destruction, providing material support to a terrorist organization and other serious charges with maximum penalties ranging from 20 years to life in prison. Ullah, 28, was "a deeply troubled young man who wanted to take his own life" to send a message about the mistreatment of Muslims, she said.
ALSO READ: Cops detain Akayed’s wife, parents-in-law
Prosecutors have described the evidence against Ullah as overwhelming. They say it includes admissions made to police after his arrest, an analysis of his computer showing he researched how to make a bomb and a Facebook posting he made while riding in the subway to Manhattan from Brooklyn on the morning of the attack that read,
"Trump you failed to protect your nation." On Monday, the jury was shown another key piece of evidence: a security video showing Ullah walking through the passageway before there's a flash that caused panicked pedestrians to flee in all directions. As the smoke clears, he's seen alone and flat on his back, mostly motionless.
The Dec. 11 blast was the second lone-wolf terror attack on the city in a matter of weeks. Last Halloween, a man in a rented truck mowed down cyclists and pedestrians on a crowded bike path near the World Trade Center, killing eight people.
The truck attack defendant, Sayfullo Saipov, is expected to go to trial next year, also in federal court in Manhattan. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.