Dhaka, Aug 28 (UNB) – The High Court fixed Thursday to deliver its judgement on a rule asking the government to explain as to why Ayesha Siddika Minni should not be granted bail in a case filed over the murder of her husband Rifat Sharif.
The HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman fixed the date after completing hearing on the rule on Wednesday.
During the hearing, Minni’s lawyer ZI Panna Khan said Minni will neither be able to flee or interfere in the investigation of the case after having bail as she is only a 19-year-old woman.
Deputy Attorney General Sarowar Hossain who moved for the state argued that Minni should not get bail as she had talked over cellphone to key accused Nayon Bond eight times before and after the murder and she is the mastermind of the killing.
On August 20, the High Court issued the rule and asked the investigation officer of the case to appear before it on the next hearing day with the case documents.
The High Court on August 8 refused to grant bail to Minni in the case, saying that the court can issue a rule but cannot grant her bail right now. The court also said they have to examine the confessional statement of the accused in the case.
On June 26, Rifat Sharif, 22, was attacked with sharp weapons near the main gate of Barguna Government College. Minni appeared to be trying to protect him during the attack.
Police have so far arrested 16 people over the murder. Besides, main accused Sabbir Ahmed alias Nayon Bond was killed in a reported gunfight with law enforcers on July 2.
Police arrested Minni on July 16 over the murder of her husband and was denied bail several times. She reportedly confessed to her involvement in the murder before the court on July 19, two days after her arrest.
On July 31, Minni filed a petition with a Barguna court seeking withdrawal of her confessional statement over the murder.
Dhaka, Aug 28 (UNB) – Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan on Wednesday said allegations against suspended Deputy Commissioner (Wari Zone) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Md Ibrahim Khan were being investigated.
“The normal procedure is to suspend someone when allegations are brought against him or her pending an investigation. Further action is taken if the person is found guilty,” he said.
The Home Minister was speaking to reporters after attending a discussion organised by Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (DWasa) and Dhaka Wasa Sramik League, marking the National Mourning Day at the city’s Karwan Bazar.
“Investigation against Khan is going on. He’ll be reinstated if he’s found not guilty,” the minister said.
Khan was suspended on August 26. According to a Home Ministry notification issued on Sunday, he was attached to Police Headquarters.
Dhaka, Aug 27 (UNB) – The High Court on Tuesday ordered the authorities concerned to provide environmental clearance to three organisations for setting up LPG bottling plants in Mongla industrial area near the Sundarbans.
The bench of Justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader delivered the verdict after disposing of a rule issued in this regard.
The organisations are – Thengamara Mohila Sabuj Songho (TMSS), Baraka Limited and Delta LPG Limited.
In its observation, the court said the government will decide the number of industries that can be set up in environmentally critical area (ECA).
It noted that the verdict will not be an obstacle to preventing setting up of new industries in ECA in future.
TMSS applied for environment clearance in 2016. Two years later, it moved the court challenging the legality of denying it clearance.
Barrister Shafique Ahmed stood for the petitioner while Attorney General Mahbubey Alam and Deputy Attorney General ABM Abdullah Al Mahmud Bashar represented the state.
Shafique pointed out that TMSS is a non-profit that wants to set up an LPG bottling plant.
Attorney General Alam argued that setting up industries near the Sundarbans will destroy the mangrove forest.
Dhaka, Aug 27 (UNB) – The High Court on Tuesday fixed October 13 to hear the bail petition by former Sonagazi Police Station officer-in-charge Moazzem Hossain in a case filed under the Digital Security Act.
The bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Mostafizur Rahman fixed the date after accepting the appeal for hearing.
Moazzem moved the court again on August 5 after his bail was denied on July 9.
Advocate Ahsan Ullah and Rana Kawsar represented the former OC in court while Deputy Attorney General Md Sarowar Hossain and Assistant Attorney General Sahana Parvin represented the state. Barrister Sayedul Haque Sumon represented the plaintiff.
Charges were framed against Moazzem at the Cyber Tribunal on July 17. The tribunal set September 1 for recording testimonies of the witnesses.
The former OC is accused of unlawfully interrogating Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi and recording it on phone. A video of the incident went viral on the social media, prompting lawyer Sumon to file a case against the policeman on April 15 under the Digital Security Act.
Moazzem had summoned Sonagazi Islamia Senior Fazil Madrasa's Principal Sirajuddoula and Nusrat, who accused the teacher of sexually harassing her. The girl’s mother had filed a case with Sonagazi police over her daughter’s harassment.
The former OC interrogated Nusrat in the absence of her lawyer or any other woman and used inappropriate language.
Nusrat was later set on fire on April 6 at an exam centre, reportedly by people loyal to Sirajuddoula. She died on April 10 at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Moazzem was initially withdrawn and later suspended on May 10. A tribunal ordered his arrest on May 27 after investigators found allegations brought against him to be true. He was arrested on June 16 from Dhaka’s Shahbagh.
The next day, the Cyber Tribunal rejected his bail plea and sent him to jail.
Dhaka, Aug 27 (UNB) – The High Court on Tuesday instructed the Directorate of National Consumers’ Rights Protection (DNCRP) to launch a hotline within three months through outsourcing for providing round-the-clock services to people.
The HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Md Badruzzaman passed the order and asked the Finance and the Commerce Ministries for allocating budget without showing any excuse.
The court also asked the DNCRP to submit the progress report on the next day of hearing on October 15.
DNCRP director Shamim Al Mamun appeared before the court today as the court summoned him for seeking Tk 50 lakh for launching the hotline.
Appearing before the court for giving expert opinion, Rafsan Jani Sami, executive officer of a private software company, said it is possible to launch hotline through outsourcing on monthly basis after taking a licence from the Bangladesh Telecommunication and Regulatory Commission (BTRC).
When the court asked the DNCRP director about the outsourcing process, he said the outsourcing issue was not discussed at the committee meeting.
He also sought apology to the court and said the hotline will be set up through outsourcing as per the court order.
Barrister Shihab Uddin Khan stood for the petitioner, while Barrister Muhamamd Faridul Islam for the Safe Food Authority. Advocate Quamruzzaman Kochi represented the DNCRP.