The Pakistan High Commission in Dhaka has issued multiple entry visas to all members of the Bangladesh National Cricket Team and management visiting Pakistan for three T20, two Test and one ODI matches to be played in Lahore, Rawalpindi and Karachi respectively.
The first T20 match between Pakistan and Bangladesh will be played on January 24 in Lahore, said a press release on Monday.
The High Commission issued multiple entry visas to all the 33 members of Bangladesh squad, including players and members of the team management and security personnel, as requested by the Bangladesh Cricket Board.
The upcoming cricket series between Pakistan and Bangladesh is being seen enthusiastically by the Pakistani cricket-lovers as the Bangladesh Cricket team will be visiting Pakistan after 10 long years.
Bangladeshi cricketers have a large number of fans in Pakistan, especially among the younger generation, who are anxiously waiting for their favourite players in action on the cricket field.
Certain media teams from Bangladesh will also be visiting Pakistan for coverage of the cricket series.
A court here on Monday sentenced four people, including a couple, to death for their involvement in the killing of an eighth grader in Kamrangirchar area of the capital in 2012.
The convicts are—Altaf Hossain, his wife Farida, Jamir Ali, and Md Shahajahan Hossain.
Dhaka Seventh Additional Metropolitan Session’s Judge Md Nazrul Islam handed down the verdict.
According to the prosecution, the convicts abducted Kawser, son of Ibrahim, and demanded a ransom of Tk 50,000 over mobile phone in May 2012.
Although Ibrahim gave the ransom money to the criminals, they did not return his son back to him, it said.
Victim’s father filed an abduction case on May 26 later it was handed over to the Detective Branch of Police.
Some of the accused were arrested in the case but secured bail and demanded a ransom of Tk one lakh from the victim’s father again.
Later Jamir Ali was arrested on August 15 and three other suspects were also held. According to their statement, Kawser’s remains were recovered from a place near his house on August 18.
Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obidul Quader on Monday said there is no dispute between the government and Prothom Alo.
“A case was filed after an incident… court issued warrant against the editor and it granted bail. It’s totally under court’s jurisdiction. The government has no dispute with Prothom Alo,” he said.
He made the remarks at the Secretariat when asked about the government’s stance over the court’s warrant against the Prothom Alo editor.
Earlier in the day, the High Court granted a four-week anticipatory bail to Prothom Alo Editor Matiur Rahman in the case filed over the death of Dhaka Residential Model College student Nayeemul Abrar Rahat.
Besides, the court asked the editor to surrender before a subordinate court after four weeks.
Replying to another question over BNP’s complaint over polls to the two Dhaka city corporations, Quader said, “BNP is now doing politics of complaint after their failure in politics on the street. City polls on February 1 will decide the position of Awami League and BNP.”
Mentioning that the activities of executive magistrates against the violations of the electoral code of conduct in the upcoming polls to the two Dhaka city corporations are not visible, Election Commissioner Mahbub Talukder has urged the CEC to take steps in this regard.
“It’ll be impossible to resolve the Election Commission’s confidence crisis if it doesn’t take any effective measures against the violations of the electoral code of conduct,” he said in a letter sent to Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) KM Nurul Huda.
Copies of the letter were also forwarded to three other election commissioners, returning officers concerned of Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) and Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) polls.
According to the letter, if the commission fails to firmly conduct the election process as per the law, this will raise questions among people about its role and expose its inaction to them.
In the letter, Mahbub Talukder also said he sent another letter on January 13 where he requested the authorities concerned to issue a circular for taking steps to bar MPs from taking part in electioneering.
He also said DNCC published an ad titled ‘Looking back at 2019: Mosquito Control’ in a vernacular daily on Monday which is nothing but a publicity of the success of the immediate past mayor.
Necessary action should be taken against the officials responsible for the act, the election commissioner added.
About the affidavits filed by candidates, he said there are many allegations about those but no activities from the Election Commission are visible to scrutinise those. “This has put the provision of the affidavit into question and is tarnishing the commission’s image,” Mahbub Talukder said, calling for taking steps in this regard on an urgent basis.