As many as 15 houses were gutted in a massive fire in Reserve Bazar Mohsin Colony area of Rangamati town on Saturday, officials said. The fire broke out at a house in the Mohsin Colony around 12:30pm on Saturday and soon engulfed adjacent houses, said Md Iqbal Hossain, station officer of Rangamati District Fire Service. Read more: 16 shops gutted in Khulna market fire On information, three fire tenders rushed to the spot and brought the blaze under control after an hour, he said "The reason behind the fire could not be known immediately." No injury or casualty was reported. Read more: 15 shops gutted in Natore fire However, it's not possible to immediately assess the extent of damage caused by the fire.
A fire set off by stored gasoline in a residential building killed 21 people Thursday evening in a refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip, the territory's Hamas rulers said, in one of the deadliest incidents in recent years outside the violence stemming from the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The blaze erupted on the third floor of a three-story building in the crowded Jabaliya camp, according to the Palestinian militant group Hamas. No one inside the house survived. The Civil Defense in Gaza, which is run by Hamas, attributed the cause of the fire to gasoline that was being stored in the building. It was not immediately clear how the gasoline ignited. Officials said an investigation was underway. Flames were seen spewing out of the windows of the burning floor as hundreds of people gathered outside on the street, waiting for fire trucks and ambulances. Read more: 4 Palestinians killed in flare-up as Israel counts votes Gaza, ruled by Hamas and under a crippling Israeli-Egyptian blockade, faces a severe energy crisis. People often store cooking gas, diesel and gasoline in homes in preparation for winter. House fires have previously been caused by candles and gas leaks. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas offered condolences to the families of the dead and declared Friday a day of mourning. Tor Wennesland, the United Nations’ Middle East peace envoy, expressed “heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families, relatives and friends of those who died in the accident; the Government, and the Palestinian people.” Hussein Al-Sheikh, a senior Palestinian Authority official, called on Israel to open its border crossing with Gaza to allow for the evacuation of those injured who need advanced medical care to Palestinian hospitals in the West Bank and Jerusalem. It was later confirmed that all in the house had died. COGAT, the Israeli body controlling the Erez Crossing with the Gaza Strip, did not comment. Read more: Israel and Gaza militants exchange fire after deadly strikes But Israel’s Defense Minister Benny Gantz sent his condolences to the Palestinians, writing on Twitter that “we have offered our assistance in evacuating injured civilians to hospitals via COGAT. The State of Israel is prepared to provide life-saving, medical aid to Gaza residents.”
A fire broke out at a carton factory in Bayazid Bostami Thana area of Chattogram early Wednesday. The fire broke out around 5.10am at Mac Paper and Board Mills Limited and it took six fire tenders an hour to control the flames, said Enamul Haque, senior station officer of Agrabad Fire Service. Read: Jhut godown catches fire in Gazipur "Initially we suspect that the fire originated from an electrical short-circuit", he added. No injury or casualty was reported. However, the extent of the losses could not be known immediately.
An ICT-based smart Emergency Response Control Center (ERCC) supported by the Korean government through Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA ) is expected to begin its operation in Dhaka early next year. The project titled “Strengthening Ability of Fire Emergency Response (SAFER)” was launched in December 2019 with the participation of a group of Korean experts with a total project cost of US$ 8.35 million. The project is expected to reduce the fire risks and human and economic loss by strengthening Bangladesh’s fire and disaster emergency response ability, said the South Korean Embassy in Dhaka on Monday. Read more: It’s my strong hope to see free, fair election in Bangladesh: Ambassador Naoki While there was some delay in the project’s progress due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the first smart Emergency Response Control Center in Bangladesh is in its final stage.
A fire broke out in a jhut (unused fabric of garment factories) godown at Konabari in Gazipur early Sunday. The fire originated around 1:30 am in the godown at Notun Bazar and spread soon, said Abdullah Al Arefin, deputy assistant director of Gazipur Fire Service and civil defence control room. Read more: Fire at pesticide factory in Savar BSCIC area under control On information, six firefighting units from Gazipur, Kaliakair and Kashimpur rushed to the spot and doused the fire after five hours of frantic effort, he added. However, no injuries or causalities were reported. The origin of the fire could not be known yet, said the officer.
A fire broke out at a pesticide factory inside Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) industrial area in Savar’s Dhamrai early Saturday. The fire broke out on the 3rd floor of the four-storey Bangladesh Agricultural Industry around 4:45 am and spread soon, said Mahfuz Ahmed, a fire service official. On information, nine firefighting units rushed to the spot and had the fire under control around 8:40 am. Also read: Maldives fire: Identitties of Bangladeshi victims confirmed However, ten people were injured while trying to douse the fire, said “A probe has been ordered to find out the cause behind the fire,” he said.
At least 10 business establishments including a branch of a private bank were gutted in a fire at a market in Anwara upazila of Chattogram early Monday. Locals said the fire broke out at a shop in Amin Market near Chatri Choumohuni kitchen market around 12:30 am and it soon engulfed the adjoining shops. Read more: Electric transformer catches fire behind Gulshan Central Mosque On information, five fire tenders were pressed into service and it took them nearly an hour to douse the flames, said Md Abdullah, deputy assistant director of Agrabad fire service. At least 15 business establishments, including the local branch of Arab Bangladesh (AB) Bank and a restaurant called Bhojan Bari, were gutted in the fire, said locals. Read more: BSCIC Kurigram estate fire destroys over Tk50 lakh valuables However, the exact amount of losses and source of the fire could not be ascertained immediately, said the officer.
A fire broke out in an electric transformer in Dhaka city’s Gulshan area on Monday (November 7, 2022) morning. The blaze started at 8:30 am and soon spread to adjacent electric wire and dish cables behind Gulshan central mosque at Gulshan-2, said duty officer of fire service headquarters control room Rakibul Hasan. Read more: Fire at Eastern Refinery in Ctg: 4 burnt On information, two units of fire tender rushed to the spot and doused the flame after an hour. The fire originated due to electric short circuit, said the officer. Read more: 7 sustain burn injuries in Gazipur filling station fire No injury or casualty was reported.
The death toll from the Gazipur filling station fire rose to four, with another victim succumbing to his burn injuries at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) on Thursday morning. The deceased was identified as filling station worker Sirajul Islam, 28. Sirajul, who sustained 40% burns, breathed his last at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery of DMCH at 7.30 am, said inspector Bachchu Mia, in-charge of DMCH police camp. One more burn victim of the same fire -- Anwar, 30 -- is being treated at the same hospital, and his condition is also critical, said a doctor. Earlier, on Tuesday, another worker, Al Amin, 30, succumbed to his injuries at the same hospital. Besides, driver Parvez, 33, who sustained 86% burns succumbed to his injuries on Monday. On Friday, another injured, named Mithu Mia, 26, who suffered 100% burns, died at the same hospital. On October 13 evening, the fire was triggered by an explosion that occurred in a cylinder-laden van while refuelling gas at Wahed Ali Filling Station in Gazipur’s Borobari area. The seven people who sustained burn injuries in the fire were all standing nearby. They were first taken to Tahirunnesa Memorial Medical College Hospital (TMMC) and five of them had to be later shifted to DMCH as their condition was critical.
Two people, including a nine-year-old girl, were burnt to death in a fire that broke out at their house in Goalundo upazila of Rajbari on Sunday night. The deceased were identified as Boro Bibi, 90, and Tasmia Aktar, residents of the upazila. The fire broke out at their tin-shed house in Beparipara village around 9 pm following gas cylinder blast while Boro Bibi and Tasmia were asleep, said Swapan Kumar Majumder, officer-in-charge (OC) of Goalundo Ghat police station. On information, a team of Goalunda fire service doused the fire after an hour, said leader of Goalunda fire station Sabekul Islam. The fire fighters also recovered two charred bodies from the house, he added.