Los Angeles, Jan 4 (AP/UNB) — Actress Sandra Oh wants to bring a lighter tone to the Golden Globes after last year's awards show took a much more serious approach centered on the #MeToo movement.
Oh said Thursday that she and fellow host Andy Samberg will provide a "moment of joy" at the 76th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills on Sunday night. She and Samberg were first paired as award presenters during a comical set at the Emmys last year when Oh ripped up the winner's envelope, referencing the 2017 Oscars "La La Land" slip-up before the duo pieced together the card and announced the actual winner.
"I know when Andy and I were talking about the feeling that I really want to bring, and really focus on, is just to have a moment of joy," said Oh, who is favored to win a Golden Globe award for best actress for her "Killing Eve" role. "Honestly, with who is going to be in that audience, the nominees this year, it excites me so tremendously ... mostly because of the diversity in that room."
Hollywood Foreign Press Association President Meher Tatna called last year's ceremony an important moment in the television and film industry as many dressed in black in solidarity with the victims of sexual harassment. But she said Sunday's awards won't be as politically charged.
Tatna said she hopes the Golden Globes can return to its roots as the "party of the year" by giving attendees an opportunity to "escape reality." The awards show is known for being a place of celebration, serving a bevy of champagne.
"I think everybody is tired of politics and maybe for one night we can have fun and not worry about the state of the world," Tatna said.
She added that the show will use its platform to honor Carol Burnett and Jeff Bridges with lifetime achievement awards.
Burnett, 85, a five-time Globes winner, will receive the inaugural Carol Burnett Award, which focuses on television. Bridges, 69, who won a Globe in 2010, will be honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Award, an accolade for film.
London, Nov 25 (AP/UNB) — Nicolas Roeg, a director of provocative and otherworldly films who gave Mick Jagger and David Bowie enduring screen roles, has died. He was 90.
The British director of "Don't Look Now" and many other films died Friday night, his son, Nicolas Roeg Jr., told Britain's Press Association.
"He was a genuine dad," Roeg Jr. said Saturday. "He just had his 90th birthday in August."
He didn't provide details about his father's death during a brief telephone call with the association.
During the 1970s, Roeg sent Jenny Agutter and his son Luc Roeg on the Australian Outback odyssey "Walkabout;" gave Jagger a big-screen role in the thriller "Performance," which was co-directed with Donald Cammell; and plunged Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland into psychological horror in the Venice-set "Don't Look Now."
"Don't Look Now" became famous for its realistic depiction of sex. Roeg said later that rumors the sex had been real were "very flattering" because that meant people felt the film was authentic.
Sutherland said Roeg was "a fearless visionary."
"He was a liberating joy to work for," Sutherland said in a statement. "I fell in love with him then and will love him forever."
In "The Man Who Fell to Earth," Roeg directed Bowie — perfectly cast and sublimely strange — as an alien who crashes on Earth looking for a way to save his own planet.
Bowie's son, filmmaker Duncan Jones, wrote on Twitter: "Just heard another great storyteller, the inimitable Nicolas Roeg left us today. What an incredible body of work he's left us with!"
Roeg's later films include the intellectually playful "Insignificance," in which Albert Einstein matched wits with Marilyn Monroe. His last major film was "The Witches," in 1990, a Roald Dahl adaptation which starred Anjelica Huston.
The British Film Institute has named "Don't Look Now" and "Performance" as two of the greatest films in Britain's Top 100 film poll.
The institute paid tribute to Roeg in a tweet: "RIP to Nicolas Roeg, a pioneering force of cinema who created some of the most affecting moments of beauty, terror and sadness ever seen. A true great if ever there was one."
Born in London in 1928, Roeg worked his way into directing after winning acclaim as a cinematographer. He began his career as an editing apprentice in 1947 — among his duties was serving tea.
Roeg worked on major films including "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Fahrenheit 451" before he entered the directing ranks in 1970.
He said he couldn't understand how someone could become a director without first working in cinematography.
Roeg didn't believe in meticulous planning when it came to scripts and shooting schedules, preferring to give himself room to maneuver and improvise as needed. He was fond of saying that God laughed at people who made too many elaborate plans.
"I shoot a lot of stuff," he once said in an interview for the book "Talking Movies." ''I think that's probably come from not having gone to film school. Things work themselves out. You've lost the showmanship thing, the fairground barker, come-see-what's-inside aspect of filmmaking when you try to plan everything for the audience."
Roeg was married three times and had six children.
Florida, Nov 18 (AP/UNB) — "Star Wars" fans will soon be able to pilot the Millennium Falcon and face off against Kylo Ren in battle.
Disney on Saturday announced some details of the new "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge" lands, opening in 2019. It also announced that composer John Williams, creator of the classic "Star Wars" themes, is writing new music for the "Galaxy's Edge" attractions, and shared a sneak preview.
The two signature attractions of the "lands" now under construction will be "Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run," in which guests can take the controls in three different roles, and "Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance," offering an "epic battle" between the First Order and the Resistance.
The attractions are to open at Disneyland Resort in summer 2019 and at Walt Disney World Resort in the fall.
Los Angeles, Nov 14 (AP/UNB) — The eighth and last season of "Game of Thrones" finally has a date with destiny.
HBO said Tuesday that the series will return in April 2019 with six episodes to conclude its run.
The fantasy series based on the George R.R. Martin novels has been one of HBO's most successful shows.
A video touting the show's return next year included clips from seasons past showing both living and dead competitors for the crown of Westeros but didn't give a taste of the final episodes.
HBO isn't getting out of the "Game of Thrones" business. A prequel created by Martin and writer-producer Jane Goldman is underway, with Naomi Watts set to star, and other spinoffs are possible.
Islamabad, Oct 28(AP/UNB) — Pakistan's top court has reinstated a ban on the broadcast of Indian TV content following a petition from local producers.
Pakistan's Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar announced the verdict Saturday, overturning a lower court ruling last year that had lifted the 2016 ban on airing Indian content on TV or FM radio. The regulatory body for electronic media says the court's order was implemented immediately.
Earlier this year, India banned performances by Pakistani artists, and some Indian stations have stopped airing Pakistani content. Indian producers have called for a comprehensive ban on Pakistani content, and Hindu extremists have threatened to attack cinemas showing films featuring Pakistani artists.
India and Pakistan, two nuclear-armed rivals, have fought three wars since gaining independence from British rule in 1947.