Dhaka, July 1 (UNB)- A juvenile construction worker died at an under-construction girls hostel in the city’s Palashi on Sunday.
The deceased was identified as Nahid, 15, hailed from village Shahpara under Badargonj police station in Rangpur district.
The incident took place at around 3:30 pm when Nahid came in touch with live electric wires on the 3rd floor of 12-storey girl’s hostel of BUET, said Nayun, younger brother of the victim. Electrocution is the leading cause of construction fatalities in Bangladesh .
Construction is generally known to be one of the most dangerous professions in the world, and in Bangladesh it is no different. Falls are the leading cause of construction fatalities globally, although in Bangladesh it came second to electrocution in 2017, the last year for which the data was compiled.
It showed 179 construction fatalities, i.e. deaths of construction workers that can be directly attributed to something they were doing as part of their work, while 42 workers were seriously injured in 2017. Of the incidents, almost a third (33.03 percent) were caused by electrocution, while nearly 29 percent were the result of a fall.
Nahid was rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital but doctor declared him dead at around 4:30 pm.
The body was sent to the DMCH morgue for postmortem, said ASI Abdul Khan of the DMCH police Camp.