A devastating fire in Chanpur Sadar upazila’s Dakshin Tarpurchandi village burnt to ashes a cotton factory and its warehouse on Wednesday.
The factory made cotton from jute fibre.
No casualties have been immediately reported.
According to the locals, five peoplec working inside the factory managed to escape to safety soon after the fire broke out.
However, the owner of the factory, Billal Mizi fainted and was taken to the district Sadar hospital.
Firefighter Zakir Hossain said that the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit and it spread quickly.
Three units of the fire services managed to bring the fire under control at around 3 pm after two and a half hours of effort, he said
The owner of the factory, Billal Mizi, and his brother claimed that the initial loss was around Tk 30 lakh.
But fire services Deputy Assistant Directors Sahidul Islam and Zakir Hossain said that the amount of loss will be Tk 5 lakh.
Further investigation would be made, they said.
They further said that no permission or approval was taken from the fire services before the construction of this factory and warehouse.