Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chief physician Debashis Chowdhury on Monday said Tigers’ Test captain Mominul Haque and right-arm spinner Nayeem Hasan are expected to be fit before the West Indies Tests scheduled for late January.
Both Mominul and Nayeem got injured during their Bangabandhu T20 Cup stint, and have undergone surgeries.
“Two of our national team cricketers have undergone surgeries in the last two weeks. While Mominul got his treatment in the UAE, we have arranged Nayeem’s surgery in the Evercare Hospital in Dhaka,” Debashis told the media.
“We have started the rehabilitation programme of Mominul, and Nayeem will also start within the next couple of days. We expect both of them to be fit before the practice game of West Indies on January 25,” he added.
He also said that the West Indians will be under a strict in-room quarantine for three days after arriving in Dhaka. Following that period, they will be allowed to practice without any help of the local staff.
The West Indies team will have to undergo three Covid-19 Tests before getting the support of local staff, Debashis said.
Also read: Taskin Ahmed in search of his next version
During this tour, West Indies will take on the hosts in three ODIs and two Tests. While the first two ODIs will take place in Dhaka, the third ODI and the first Test will be played in Chattogram, and final Test will be played in Dhaka.
Cricket Australia will consider swapping the third and fourth Tests of Australia’s cricket Test series against India due to a COVID-19 outbreak in Sydney where the third Test is due to be played.
Australian media reported Sunday CA officials have a contingency plan to switch the Sydney Test and the fourth Test in Brisbane if the outbreak worsens. Officials currently are confident the Sydney Test can go ahead as planned from Jan. 7.
If the Tests are swapped, the Sydney Test will be played from Jan. 15 to 19.
A total of 30 new COVID infections were reported in Sydney on Sunday all associated with an outbreak in the city’s northern beach suburbs. The new cases caused the New South Wales state government to impose fresh restrictions on public and private gatherings.
CA’s coronavirus working group was due to meet Sunday to discuss the Sydney outbreak and its impact on the Test series.
“The third Test is more than two-and-a-half weeks away, which provides us with time to assess the evolving public health situation on the northern beaches of Sydney,” CA interim chief executive Nick Hockley said. “We have made no changes to our schedule and our preference remains to play the match at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
“CA has prepared for the possibility of COVID-19 hotspots and state border closures over the course of the summer.”
The plan to swap the third and fourth Tests is being considered in case Queensland state closes its border with New South Wales. That would mean players and television crews could not travel from Sydney to Brisbane between the third and fourth Tests.
Victoria state on Sunday declared Sydney a hot spot and said it would close its borders from midnight to travelers from Australia’s largest city.
Australian Test opener David Warner beat the closure, flying by private plane on Saturday from Sydney to Melbourne to isolate before joining the Australian team bubble ahead of the Boxing Day Test. Warner is recovering from a groin injury sustained late last month during the one-day international series against India.
An alternative plan, to play consecutive Tests in Melbourne which will host the second Ttest from Dec. 26, exists but is thought unlikely because CA does not want to cancel the Sydney Test. The Sydney Test also could be moved to Manuka Oval in Canberra.
Also read: Global Covid-19 cases surpass 76.2 million
Australia fast bowler Pat Cummins said the Australian players are aware of the issues involving the Sydney outbreak and are confident Cricket Australia has matters under control.
“Of course, we have been chatting about that. Fingers crossed it doesn’t escalate too much,” Cummins said. “But Cricket Australia have been amazing with our medical staff.
“They have thought of every contingency and been red-hot on our discipline with mask wearing and isolation before coming into the bubble. Fingers-crossed Sydney can look after themselves.”
Australia leads the series 1-0 after winning the first Test in Adelaide by eight wickets.
The relentless pace bowling of Australians Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins dismissed India for its lowest-ever score of 36 runs in a test innings as the home team recorded a thumping eight-wicket victory with more than two days to spare in the first cricket test at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday.
Hazlewood reached 200 wickets in test matches by taking sensational bowling figures of 5-8 and Cummins took 4-21 as India lost eight wickets for only 27 runs inside the first session on the third day.
No. 11 batsman Muhammad Shami injured his right forearm while facing Cummins and was retired hurt as India, which had a 53-run first- innings lead, capitulated on a hard and bouncy wicket against Hazlewood and Cummins.
India's previous lowest ever total in a test innings was 42 made against England at Lord's in 1974. To add to India's worry for the remaining three test matches on the tour, its captain Virat Kohli will not be available. Kohli will be leaving his team to be with his wife, Anushka Sharma, who is expecting his first child.
Joe Burns made an unbeaten 51 off 61 balls and guided Australia to 93-2 after he added 70 runs with makeshift opener Matthew Wade. The left-handed Wade scored 33 before getting run-out in a bizarre fashion when he moved out too far off his crease against Ravichandran Ashwin and wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha hit the the ball at the stumps blindly.
Burns, who was struck on the forearm by Bumrah's short ball early in the Australia run-chase, sealed the victory in style with a six over fine leg off Umesh Yadav. Burns also hit seven fours as Australia wrapped up the game in the middle session of the third day.
"It's pretty easy to get motivated against such a top team like India," Burns said.
Kohli said his team collapsed.
"It's very hard to put those feelings to words, we had a lead of 60-odd," Kohli said. "When you work hard for two days and put yourself in a strong position and then an hour puts you in a position where it's literally impossible to win. To be honest there were some good balls but the ball didn't do anything drastic."
India took a first-innings lead in a test match dominated by pace bowlers after it bowled out Australia for 191 in the first innings. But the extra bounce in the wicket, extracted by Hazlewood and Cummins on Saturday, undid the visitors as none of its batsmen could reach double figures.
Cummins began the Indian slide when he had overnight batsman Jasprit Bumrah caught off his own bowling in the first over of the day and followed it up when Cheteshwar Pujara got a thick edge behind the wicket.
Hazlewood made it 15-5 with his double-wicket maiden first over when he found edges of top-scorer Mayank Agarwal (9) and Ajinkya Rahane's bats and within no time India lost four wickets without a run.
Also read: Khulna lift Bangabandhu T20 Cup title
"Everything went to plan,"" Hazlewood said. When asked if he'd ever had a more perfect day of bowling, he replied: "I don't think so."
Kohli tried to break the shackles with a boundary off Cummins on the off side, before he was caught off the second attempt by Cameron Green off the next ball.
Hazlewood bowled another double-wicket maiden and was on a hat-trick when he removed Wriddhiman Saha and Ravichandran Ashwin off successive deliveries before Umesh Yadav averted the hat-trick ball.
Hanuma Vehari guided India passed the ignominy of New Zealand's lowest ever score of 26 runs in a test innings with a boundary off Cummins before Hazlewood completed his eighth five-wicket haul in test matches by having the batsman caught behind.
25-year-old right-arm pacer Shohidul Islam proved his mettle in the final of the just-concluded Bangabandhu T20 Cup on Friday.
But it was not easy for him as he lost his father before the Qualifier 1 of the event.
The pacer wasn’t expected to take part in the final. The team management told him to take time as he was in pain after losing his father just a few days ago, but the pacer refused to stay out of the action and decided to play.
It was enough to praise his courage, but the pacer had another idea to show a stronger part of his mental strength.
In the last over of the final, Khulna needed to defend 16 runs, and the captain Mahmudullah Riyad handed the over Shohidul Islam.
Off the first two balls, Shohidul conceded only three runs. The delivered a slow full-toss in the third one which has removed Mosaddek Hossain who was batting at 19 off 14 balls. In the very next step, Shohidul nailed a yorker to Shykat Ali who had already hit a fifty and was the biggest threat for Khulna.
Also read: Khulna lift Bangabandhu T20 Cup title
Shohidul ensured a win taking two wickets in two consecutive deliveries. In the last two balls, he conceded seven runs with a last-ball six, but that was a late response from Chattogram.
Shohidul ended up taking 15 wickets in eight games with a four-wicket haul, which is the record of fifth-best bowling in the event.
Mustafizur Rahman topped the list taking 22 wickets in 10 games while Muktar Ali, Kamrul Islam Rabbi and Shoriul Islam are placed at two, three and four taking 17, 16 and 16 wickets respectively.
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hasan has said he anticipates a bright future of the national team as the youngsters displayed specious performance in the just-concluded Bangabandhu T20 Cup.
Gemcon Khulna won the title of the inaugural edition of this event riding on the unbeaten 70 by Mahmudullah Riyad and wonderful bowling-show during the death overs by Shahidul Islam.
Not just Shahidul, many other youngsters did well in this event, and thus Nazmul sees a strong future for Bangladesh.
“There are many players who did really well at this event. Among the new guys, Shoriful (Islam), Emon (Parvez Hossain), Yasir Rabbi proved what they really capable of doing,” Nazmul told in a media interaction during the Bangabandhu T20 Cup final.
Also read: Khulna lift Bangabandhu T20 Cup title
“And at the same time, members of the national team also displayed some decisive performance as Mahmudullah did in the final. Mustafizur (Rahman), Rubel (Hossain) did well with the ball, and Liton (Das) and Soumya (Sarkar) were impressive with the bat. Along with them Taskin (Ahmed) also came up strongly. Shanto (Najmul Hossain) and Afif (Hossain) were tremendous in some matches. Shanto looks more confident now. I think they will shape up our future national team. We have got some players who made our pipe-line stronger,” he added.
Nazmul addressed the Bangabandhu Cup a great success for the hosts keeping the Covid-19 situation in mind. After the long hiatus forced by Covid-19, BCB hosted a three-team 50-over competition- BCB President Cup which was Bangladesh’s first step to come out from Covid-19 situation.
“If we look back to the Covid-19 situation, it was unimaginable to host this event. The three-team 50-over competition was an experiment to organize more games. And of course, to host the West Indies in January, we needed to do something like this,” Nazmul told the media.
“From a personal point of view, it was more interesting to me than BPL because we’ve got a great chance to observe more local players in this event. We don’t get a chance to see this amount of local players often,” he added.