BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir has filed a petition with the High Court seeking bail in a case filed over vandalising Chief Justice's residence during a BNP rally on October 28. Advocate Sagir Hossain Leon filed the petition on behalf of Fakhrul with the concerned bench of the High Court on Sunday. Also read: Sixty-eight eminent citizens demand Mirza Fakhrul's release The HC bench of Justice Md Selim and Justice Shahed Nuruddin will hear the petition. Advocate Gazi Kamrul Islam Sajal, leader of Jatiyatabadi Ainjibi Forum, said the petition will be included in the court's schedule tomorrow. The hearing date will be determined later. Earlier on November 22, Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court rejected the bail petition of the BNP secretary general in the same case. Also read: Fakhrul denied bail, sent to jail On October 29, police filed a case with Ramna Police Station on charges of vandalism and attack on the Chief Justice's residence during a BNP rally on October 28. Apart from Mirza Fakhrul, 59 leaders and activists, including BNP standing committee member Mirza Abbas, were accused in the case. The BNP secretary general was arrested in the case on October 29. Later, a bail petition was filed with the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Court of Dhaka. The court sent him to jail rejecting his bail petition. Also read: Fakhrul shown arrested in CJ’s house vandalising case
The nomination papers of Awami League candidate for Cox's Bazar-1 (Chakaria-Pekua) constituency, Salahuddin Ahmed, have been rejected due to him defaulting on a loan. District Returning Officer and Deputy Commissioner Md Shahin Imran rejected Salahuddin’s nomination paper around 10 am today. Also read: MPs don't need to resign before contesting as independent candidates: EC According to the district returning officer's office, his nomination was cancelled due to him defaulting on a loan worth Tk 47 crore. Salahuddin Ahmed and other directors of ‘Fish Preservers’ secured a loan of approximately Tk 50 crore from the Laldighi branch of Janata Bank in Cox's Bazar, using the company as collateral. The loan was later defaulted on. Despite subsequent changes in the company's board of directors, Salahuddin Ahmed remains a guarantor for the loan as per the bank's terms. Also read: EC issues show-cause notice to MP candidate Mostafizur for attacking journalists According to the Credit Information Bureau (CIB) report of Bangladesh Bank, Salahuddin Ahmed was a loan defaulter on the day of submission of nomination papers on November 30, which made his nomination invalid according to the law. While speaking to journalists in this regard, Salahuddin Ahmed said, "Everything regarding the defaulted loan was resolved through the court. I still don't understand why my nomination was rejected. I will appeal to the Election Commission in this regard.” Also read: Taking action for poll-related violence or chaos is EC’s responsibility : Quader
Yet another 48-hour nationwide blockade of road, rail and waterway, called by the BNP and like-minded opposition parties began this morning. The latest blockade started from 6 am today and will end at 6 am on Tuesday. The opposition parties observed eight blockades prior to this to mount pressure on the Awami League government to quit power and hold the next general election under a non-partisan administration. Read: BNP-led opposition’s 48-hr blockade begins Sunday The blockades have been marked by incidents of arson attacks and violence with poor public response to the street programme. As with the previous blockades, the presence of law enforcers at several points of Dhaka is high. The number of public transport on Dhaka roads is adequate today and people were seen heading to their destinations despite tension and fear of arson attacks. Rickshaws are dominating Dhaka streets while some private vehicles are also seen plying the streets. Vehicles of media outlets, ambulances and vehicles transporting oxygen cylinders and medicines will remain out of the purview of the blockade. Read: A fraction of BNP resorted to arson attacks, blockades despite many of its leaders participating in polls: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Just before midnight, miscreants set fire to two buses in different parts of Dhaka last night. In Gabtoli, a bus of Padma Line was set on fire at 11:09 pm. In Agargaon, a bus of Bhuiyan Paribahan was set on fire in front of the Betar Building at 11 pm, said Shahjahan Sikder, deputy assistant director at the Fire Service and Civil Defense headquarters (media cell). Read more: BNP to enforce another spell of 48-hour blockade from Sunday
Dhaka Metropolitan South unit Awami League has expressed deep shock and sorrow over the death of Sajedul Hossain Chowdhury (Dipu), eldest son of Awami League Presidium Member Mofazzal Hossain Chowdhury Maya. In a statement, Dhaka Metropolitan South unit Awami League Acting President Nurul Amin Ruhul and its General Secretary Humayun Kabir expressed their deep shock at the death of Dipu. They prayed for the eternal peace of the departed soul and conveyed deep sympathy to the bereaved family. Earlier, Dipu breathed his last this evening while undergoing treatment at the United Hospital in the capital. He was 53.
The BNP and like-minded opposition parties are set to enforce their next round of a 48-hour blockade, oborodh, covering road-rail-waterways across the country from Sunday morning. When these successive, almost daily or non-stop programmes - weekends and usually Tuesdays ommitted for some breathing space - started in early November, they were protesting the Election Commission's announcement of the schedule for the 12th general election. They now encompass pressuring the government to quit, and to hold the next election under a non-party neutral government, the entire movement's holy grail. The release from police custody of party leaders and activists, including BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, also features prominently in their demands. The blockade will begin at 6am on Sunday and end at 6m on Tuesday. It will be the ninth round of the blockade programme of the opposition parties since October 31. Speaking at a virtual press briefing on Saturday night, BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi called upon the country's people and the supporters of BNP and other opposition parties to observe the programme spontaneously to make it a success. Read: BNP to enforce another spell of 48-hour blockade from Sunday Vehicles of the newspapers or media, ambulances and vehicles transporting oxygen cylinders and medicines will remain out of the purview of the blockade. Earlier on Thursday, Rizvi announced a fresh blockade programme around three hours before the end of the opposition’s day-long hartal - a change up to coincide with the EC's deadline for submitting nomination papers for said election - on the same grounds. He said other opposition parties, who have long been carrying out the simultaneous movement with BNP, will also observe a similar programme. The opposition parties observed blockades in eight phases to mount pressure on the Awami League government to quit power and hold the next election under a non-partisan administration. Read: Bus set on fire in Gazipur during 24-hour blockade They also observed a nationwide dawn-to-dusk hartal on October 29 in protest against the attacks on BNP’s grand rally at Nayapaltan that ended amid the incidents of torching vehicles and clashes, leaving three people dead. Half an hour into the start of BNP's much-talked-about grand rally at Nayapaltan on October 28, BNP leaders and workers locked in a clash with the ruling party activists and police at Kakrail. The violent clashes soon spread around Nayapaltan, foiling the rally midway. Read more: 24-hour blockade: 428 RAB patrol teams deployed
Awami League nominated candidate for Chattogram-15 constituency Abu Reza Mohammad Nezamuddin Nadwi has been served a show-cause notice for violating the electoral code of conduct. The letter, signed by the chairman of the Election Investigation Committee and Senior Assistant Judge Shahnewaz Moni, was sent to Nadwi on Saturday. Chittagong-4 MP Didar steps aside from election race The letter mentioned a complaint from independent candidate Abdul Motaleb that Nadwi’s men stopped his supporters on November 30 (Thursday) at Deodighi Bazar and also beat some of them. Besides, Abdul Motaleb alleged that when he was going towards Chattogram city around 4:00 pm on Thursday Nadwi’s men in Satkania Keranihat threatened him with various indecent gestures. They set fire to Abdul Motaleb's picture and behaved aggressively. Election train is running, can't be stopped by anyone: Obaidul Quader Nadwi submitted his explanation to the committee on Saturday afternoon through his representative. The AL nominated candidate could not be reached for comment as he did not receive the correspondent’s phone. BNP leadership is detained in their ‘own prison’: Info Minister
Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader on Saturday said It is the responsibility of the Election Commission to take action for any violence or chaos centring the national election. “Awami League has confidence in the decisions of the Election Commission,” he said at a press briefing at the AL president’s Dhanmondi office in the capital. EC issues show-cause notice to MP candidate Mostafizur for attacking journalists Quader, also the Road Transport and Bridges Minister, said BNP could not distract people from the election by hartal, blockade and arson terrorism. “People have become completely election-oriented. There will be a record voter turnout in this election, he said. 53 candidates submit nomination forms in six constituencies of Khulna “BNP's ill efforts to make the election questionable and prevent it are still continuing. The people of Bangladesh are united under the leadership of Sheikh Hasina. That's why they're looking forward to cast vote,” said the AL leader. The leaders and activists of the BNP are frustrated and they have lost confidence, he said adding that the people of the country cannot be distracted from the election by hatching conspiracies. Leaders of Khilafat Rabbani, Nezam-e-Islami meet PM, discuss polls Awami League Presidium Member Kamrul Islam, Joint General Secretary AFM Bahauddin Nasim and other central leaders were present at the press briefing.
Chittagong-4 incumbent MP Alhaj Didarul Alam, who was mulling an independent run after failing to get the nod from the ruling Awami League, has stepped aside from the election race expressing his support for the AL nominee of the constituency. Didar made this announcement while talking to journalists in a views exchange meeting held at Sitakunda Press Club on Friday evening. “I can never be a candidate against the nominee who represents Bangabandhu’s ‘boat’ symbol. Whoever gets the nomination from Sheikh Hasina, I will work for him. I have done a lot of development work in Sitakunda. I hope the present nominee of Sitakunda constituency will continue the development work,” he said. Earlier on Thursday afternoon, Didarul Alam submitted his nomination papers as an independent candidate to fight in Chittagong-4 constituency in the upcoming 12th National Elections. Meanwhile, the Election Commission (EC) has started scrutinising the papers of the candidates who submitted their nominations for the upcoming 12th parliamentary elections. A total of 2,713 candidates submitted nomination papers to contest the parliamentary election.
BNP senior leader Nazrul Islam Khan on Friday said victory for their ongoing movement is certain, as the government will not be able to suppress the opposition with its repressive acts. “Those who are carrying out the movement are now being arrested…our leaders Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, Mirza Abbas, Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury and all others have been kept in jail only for taking to the streets for democracy,” he said. Speaking at a rally of workers, the BNP leader urged the government to stop filing fictitious cases and the wholesale arrest of the opposition leaders and workers. "We also urge the government to release those who have been unjustly arrested and accept our justified demands. The movement cannot be suppressed by force and repression,” he said. Nazrul, a BNP standing committee member, said no autocratic regimes in the world could win over people by resorting to repressive acts. “This regime also won’t be able to do so. Our struggle is for democracy and for people’s right to vote. We’ll definitely win this fight. I promise you to fight for that victory." Read: Jan 7 Election: BNP expels 15 leaders since schedule announced Sammalita Shramik Parishad arranged the programme in front of the Jatiya Press Club, demanding the trial for the murder of garment workers, compensation and proper treatment for the injured workers and withdrawal of ‘false’ cases filed against them in connection with the recent movement. The rally was also meant for mounting pressure on the government to release the arrested workers, reinstate the sacked workers and provide minimum wage of Tk 25,000 for RMG workers. Speaking at the programme Nagorik Oikya president Mahumudur Rahman Manna said the government wants to stop the opposition parties’ ongoing movement to hold a stage-managed election. “We know people won’t go to vote. But they (govt) will prepare many centers in the stage like a drama… later in the evening they will try to announce that we have won the election,” he said. Read: 29 out of 44 registered political parties join 12th national election Mentioning that there is a speculation that the US may impose economic sanctions or ban on importing RMG products from Bangladesh, Manna said the government is not thinking about such a serious issue as it busy with how to stage a drama in the name of a national election. He called upon the workers to continue their movement for realizing their demands as well as for establishing the people's right to vote. Chief coordinator of Ganosamhati Andolon Junaid Saki said the government is trying to hold a ‘farcical’ election to usurp power by using law enforcers and other state apparatus, ignoring the opinions of the people and the global community. "The United States announced a new policies on labour rights. They said, they can impose new restrictions or sanctions on our garment sector if such one-sided election is held and the rights of workers are violated,” he said. Saki alleged that the government is going to put the international market of Bangladesh’s RMG products at stake only to cling to power without a credible election. “The government’s efforts cannot be allowed to succeed in any way.” He called upon the people from all walks of life, including the workers, to put up a strong resistance against the government’s move to hold a lopsided election.
An independent lawmaker from the Faridpur-4 constituency, Mujibur Rahman Chowdhury, alias Nixon Chowdhury, appeared in court to provide a written explanation for allegedly violating the electoral code of conduct. He appeared in person at the Faridpur court at 3pm on Friday at the office of the Chairman of the Election Inquiry Committee and Joint District and Sessions Judge Mohammad Moin Uddin Chowdhury. Nixon Chowdhury said, “We are public representatives. I did not invite anyone on the day of submitting my nomination papers. I don't even know where so many people came from. I did not allow more than five people to enter the Returning officer’s room. Supporters of all the important candidates in the district, like me, came to see their leader submit their nominations.” Election train is running, can't be stopped by anyone: Obaidul Quader Regarding the show cause notice, he said, “I will conduct my election campaign by following the rules of the electoral code of conduct. A large number of people gathered in all parts of the country, but only a few, including me, were reprimanded.” “It is good that other candidates will be more careful now. Everyone, including myself, will abide by the election code of conduct in the future. Since the government is asking for fair elections, we will also instruct our activists and supporters to do the same. The media has written more about me and Shakib, which is why we have received this notice,” he added. EC issues show-cause notice to MP candidate Mostafizur for attacking journalists Nixon Chowdhury was accused of standing in an open-top car with a fleet of more than 250 microbuses and 200 motorcycles on the day of submitting his nomination papers. This caused traffic to come to a standstill in the area and created inconvenience for the public. 20, 326 BNP people arrested, 73, 123 sued in 837 cases since Oct 28: Jatiyatabadi Ainjibi Forum On Thursday, he was directed to appear in person at the temporary office of the Chairman of the Election Inquiry Committee of Faridpur 4 and provide a written explanation. The order stated that he allegedly violated the provisions of section 8(a) and 38(b), 12 of the Code of Conduct for Political Parties and Candidates.