The coronavirus pandemic has forced Australia’s Test tour of Bangladesh, scheduled for June, to be postponed indefinitely.
In a press release on Thursday, Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) confirmed the development. The BCB and Cricket Australia (CA) will now work together to find a future window for rescheduling the series which is part of the ICC World Test Championship.
“This is understandably disappointing for players and fans of both sides. However, in the current global scenario of the COVID-19 outbreak and considering the nature of the health emergency, the BCB and CA are in agreement that this is the most sensible and practical decision,” BCB CEO Nizam Uddin Chowdhury was quoted as saying in the press release.
“We hope that the situation will improve soon and we are able to hold this series at a convenient time in the near future. To that end, the BCB will continue to work closely with CA with whom we share a history of support and cooperation,” he said.
CA’s CEO Kevin Roberts said it is regrettable to postpone the series, but he thanked BCB for the decision.
“Postponing the tour is regrettable, but I’d like to thank the Bangladesh Cricket Board for the open, honest and responsible discussions that led us to this mutually-agreed position. The health of our people and communities is the number one priority for both Boards and that is reflected in the action we’ve taken in postponing the two Test matches,” Roberts was quoted as saying in the statement.
“As we know, the global cricket calendar is very busy but we’ll do everything we can to honour our commitment to Bangladesh and will continue to work with the BCB on an agreed date,” he said.
Earlier, Bangladesh’s Pakistan tour for an ODI and a Test in Karachi was also postponed due to the same reason. At the same time, Bangladesh’s tour of Ireland for ODIs and T20Is has also seen an abrupt postponement due to coronavirus outbreak.
COVID-19, first reported in China in December last year, has infected more than 1.5 million people globally and killed over 89,000 of them, according to Worldometer.
Expressing his unhappiness with the county’s politicians, Bangladesh pacer Rubel Hossain has said why they are not going to the doorsteps of the poor people with food as they are unable to work due to the nationwide shutdown following the coronavirus outbreak.
As per the official data, 218 people have so far tested positive for coronavirus in the country while 20 of them have died.
At the same time, most parts of the country are now under lockdown. So, the poor people have no way of income right now. They have to stay at home as per government directives to prevent the spread of the virus.
“Please stop criticising others. The country is now at a critical moment for all of us. So, we’ve to come up to help each other. We’ve to provide the poor with food. If you (politicians) can make door-to-door visits to seek votes, why can’t you do so to help the people?” Rubel said in a Facebook post on Thursday.
All the cricketing activities in the country have been suspended. Bangladeshi cricketers had started playing Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League right before the virus outbreak. But after the first round of the league, Bangladesh Cricket Board decided to stop all the cricketing events in the country. At the same time, the Ministry of Youth and Sports stopped other sporting events in the country.
The top cricketers of Bangladesh donated their-15 day salary to tackle the current situation created by the coronavirus. Along with them, 91 cricketers, who are contracted with the board as the First-class cricketers, have also donated their 15-day salary to help people who are unable to work and earn due to the current situation.
Bangladesh batsman Sabbir Rahman has urged people to stay at home in this time of coronavirus pandemic so that the spread of the virus can be contained.
All cricketing activities in the world have been postponed indefinitely as coronavirus spread across the globe. Bangladeshi players were playing Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League, the country’s most prestigious List-A event, right before the coronavirus outbreak.
But after just one round of the event, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) opted to stop it for a few days. And later on, BCB postponed the league indefinitely.
“I hope everyone is good and sound, though, the time is not good now in the world. We have to be patient and we have to stay home for a few days so that the virus can go away,” Sabbir said in a video post on his social media.
“Please follow the instruction what has given by the authority. If you stay home, you will remain healthy along with your family, and it will help the country stay healthy and sound. Keep practising religious activities at home and all pray for each other,” Sabbir added.
The novel coronavirus was first reported in China in the last Decembers. Since then, the virus has spread all over the world including Bangladesh. As per the latest update, more than 200 people been infected in the country and 20 have died.
The virus has so far infected more than 1.4 million people and killed over 83,000 of them, according to Worldometer.
Bangladeshi celebrated all rounder Shakib Al Hasan is going to be a father for the 2nd time after his daughter Alayna Hasan.
The world famed all rounder Shakib disclosed the good news in his official Facebook page on Tuesday.
He wrote, "big sisterhood" by sharing a photo of his daughter Alayna Hasan, who was holding a baby dress and written "welcome home".
Shakib with his family now staying in New York, is going to be blessed with a baby within few months.
The couple got married in 2012, three years after their marriage in 2015, Shakib announced that his wife is expecting a baby daughter.
Earlier on last Friday (Apr 3), Shakib Al Hasan joined his family in USA with sound health after spending 14-day self- isolation in a hotel in the United States of America (USA) following the instruction of World Health Organization.
Shakib, who is now facing a two-year ban (with one-year suspended) from cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC), has gone into self-isolation in a hotel upon arriving in the USA on March 21 amid the outbreak of COVID-19 that has reached epidemic levels there.
In a video message during the self-isolation period, Shakib made an announcement to form a charity organisation named "The Shakib Al Hasan Foundation"
The foundation has already started functioning under the banner "Mission Save Bangladesh" to support distressed peoples of Bangladesh.
After reaching USA on March 21, Shakib Al Hasan went straight into a hotel room before meeting his wife Umme Ahmed Shisir and daughter Alayna Hasan as a measure of precaution .
In a video, posted on his Facebook page at that time, Shakib also urged his fans, followers and fellow Bangladeshis to stay home to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
“We have to follow the precautionary steps which can help us stay safe and healthy at this moment. We have to wash our hands frequently, we have to maintain social distance and follow the right way while coughing and sneezing,” Shakib mentioned in the video post.
“If anyone comes from abroad he should maintain quarantine and stay alert about not going out to see people. A 14-day quarantine is very important. I want to share my experience with it. I just arrived in the USA and came to a hotel directly and stayed in self-isolation for 14 days. It’s tough for me, but still, I didn’t meet my daughter. I believe this small sacrifice will help us protect ourselves,” he added.
By putting himself under self-isolation, Shakib Al Hasan has already set an example. He further wants people to follow the simple guidelines to protect themselves from getting affected by the disease. The prolific all-rounder feels by creating more awareness, we can keep the country safe.
“Hope everyone is well. The World Health Organization has called coronavirus as an epidemic. Bangladesh is not beyond that. ”
‘You already have heard that many corona virus affected patients have been found in Bangladesh. We need to be careful now. Our awareness can keep our country safe, to keep us healthy. ‘
“By following some simple steps, I think we can be free from this disease and keep our country safe from it. For example, washing hands with soap, maintaining social distance, adhering to proper etiquette when coughing and if someone is returning from abroad, he must keep himself at home and make sure not to leave the house. “
Before going to the USA, Shakib was travelling in the UK as he was seen to watch a football match between Manchester United FC and Manchester City FC at the Old Trafford on March 8. The all-rounder posted an image of Old Trafford on March 14 on his social media.
After that, he returned to Bangladesh and might have travelled his village in Magura as he posted some pictures with the hashtag # backtomy childhood on his social media on March 16, 17, 18 and 19.
Many people, mainly his fans, raised the question over his travelling during the coronavirus pandemic and asked on the Facebook comment box if he maintains the quarantine advice from the government after returning from the UK.
Shakib was banned from all cricketing activities for two years in October last year, with one year of those is suspended. The all-rounder is expected to return to the action before the T20 World Cup this year in Australia.
Bangladesh’s world-famed all rounder Shakib Al Hasan joined his family on Friday (April 3) in sound health after spending 14 days in isolation in a hotel since arriving in the United States of America (USA).
Shakib, who is currently serving a two-year ban (with one year suspended) from cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC), went into self-isolation in a hotel room on March 21 amid the outbreak of COVID-19 that has reached epidemic levels there.
It meant he had to put off meeting his wife Umme Ahmed Shisir and daughter Alaiyana Hasan as a measure of precaution.
In a video message during the self-isolation period, Shakib made an announcement to form a charity organization named "The Shakib Al Hasan Foundation". The foundation already started functioning under the banner of "Mission Save Bangladesh" to support distressed people in the country.
In another video posted on his Facebook page at the time, Shakib also urged his fans, followers and fellow Bangladeshis to stay home to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
“We have to follow the precautionary steps which can help us stay safe and healthy at this moment. We have to wash our hands frequently, we have to maintain social distance and follow the right way while coughing and sneezing,” Shakib said in the video post.
By isolating himself, Shakib Al Hasan has already set an example. He further wants people to follow the simple guidelines to protect themselves from getting affected by the disease.
The prolific all-rounder feels by spreading more awareness, we can keep the country safe.
Shakib said many coronavirus affected patients have been found in Bangladesh. “We need to be careful now. Our awareness can keep our country safe, to keep us healthy,” he added.
“By following some simple steps, I think we can be free from this disease and keep our country safe from it. For example, washing hands with soap, maintaining social distance, adhering to proper etiquette when coughing and if someone is returning from abroad, he must keep himself at home and make sure not to leave the house,“ he also said.
Before going to the USA, Shakib was travelling in the UK to watch a football match between Manchester United FC and Manchester City FC at Old Trafford on March 8. The all-rounder posted an image of Old Trafford on March 14 on his social media.
After that, he returned to Bangladesh and visited his village in Magura where he posted some pictures with the hashtag #backtomychildhood on his social media from March 16-19.
Shakib was banned from all cricketing activities for two years, with one of those suspended, last October. That first year will be completed during the T20 World Cup this year in Australia.