Bangladesh batsman Sabbir Rahman has urged people to stay at home in this time of coronavirus pandemic so that the spread of the virus can be contained.
All cricketing activities in the world have been postponed indefinitely as coronavirus spread across the globe. Bangladeshi players were playing Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League, the country’s most prestigious List-A event, right before the coronavirus outbreak.
But after just one round of the event, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) opted to stop it for a few days. And later on, BCB postponed the league indefinitely.
“I hope everyone is good and sound, though, the time is not good now in the world. We have to be patient and we have to stay home for a few days so that the virus can go away,” Sabbir said in a video post on his social media.
“Please follow the instruction what has given by the authority. If you stay home, you will remain healthy along with your family, and it will help the country stay healthy and sound. Keep practising religious activities at home and all pray for each other,” Sabbir added.
The novel coronavirus was first reported in China in the last Decembers. Since then, the virus has spread all over the world including Bangladesh. As per the latest update, more than 200 people been infected in the country and 20 have died.
The virus has so far infected more than 1.4 million people and killed over 83,000 of them, according to Worldometer.
Retired soccer star Ronaldinho was released from a high-security jail in Paraguay on Tuesday after more than a month, but was ordered to serve house arrest at a luxury hotel while he's investigated for using a false passport to enter the country.
The Brazilian entered the hotel about four hours after the ruling. He was transported in a police van and was allowed in after sanitary precautions due to the new coronavirus outbreak.
Ronaldinho, the Brazilian former FIFA player of the year, and his brother Roberto de Assis were also told to pay bail of $800,000 each.
Ronaldinho, who helped lead Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title, was jailed on March 6 after entering the small South American country with a false Paraguayan passport. He told local authorities in a hearing that the document was a gift from a Brazilian businessman, Wilmondes Sousa Liria, who was also jailed.
"I decided to put them in house arrest because the investigation is now well advanced, differently from the situation one month ago," Judge Gustavo Amarilla said when issuing the ruling.
Ronaldinho had his Brazilian passport seized at home due to an investigation into alleged environmental crimes, but the document was returned to him in September. One month later he played in a friendly in Israel.
If convicted, the former Barcelona star could spend up to five years in jail. Fourteen people are being investigated in the case.
Attorney Sérgio Queiroz told The Associated Press that Ronaldinho and his brother will not make public statements until the case is closed.
Ronaldinho came to Paraguay to promote his autobiography. He was jailed in an improvised penitentiary in the south of Asunción, which is used for 150 dangerous criminals, including convicts of drug dealing, corruption and rape. During his stay he played soccer with inmates and took pictures with them that were shared on social media.
Bangladeshi celebrated all rounder Shakib Al Hasan is going to be a father for the 2nd time after his daughter Alayna Hasan.
The world famed all rounder Shakib disclosed the good news in his official Facebook page on Tuesday.
He wrote, "big sisterhood" by sharing a photo of his daughter Alayna Hasan, who was holding a baby dress and written "welcome home".
Shakib with his family now staying in New York, is going to be blessed with a baby within few months.
The couple got married in 2012, three years after their marriage in 2015, Shakib announced that his wife is expecting a baby daughter.
Earlier on last Friday (Apr 3), Shakib Al Hasan joined his family in USA with sound health after spending 14-day self- isolation in a hotel in the United States of America (USA) following the instruction of World Health Organization.
Shakib, who is now facing a two-year ban (with one-year suspended) from cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC), has gone into self-isolation in a hotel upon arriving in the USA on March 21 amid the outbreak of COVID-19 that has reached epidemic levels there.
In a video message during the self-isolation period, Shakib made an announcement to form a charity organisation named "The Shakib Al Hasan Foundation"
The foundation has already started functioning under the banner "Mission Save Bangladesh" to support distressed peoples of Bangladesh.
After reaching USA on March 21, Shakib Al Hasan went straight into a hotel room before meeting his wife Umme Ahmed Shisir and daughter Alayna Hasan as a measure of precaution .
In a video, posted on his Facebook page at that time, Shakib also urged his fans, followers and fellow Bangladeshis to stay home to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
“We have to follow the precautionary steps which can help us stay safe and healthy at this moment. We have to wash our hands frequently, we have to maintain social distance and follow the right way while coughing and sneezing,” Shakib mentioned in the video post.
“If anyone comes from abroad he should maintain quarantine and stay alert about not going out to see people. A 14-day quarantine is very important. I want to share my experience with it. I just arrived in the USA and came to a hotel directly and stayed in self-isolation for 14 days. It’s tough for me, but still, I didn’t meet my daughter. I believe this small sacrifice will help us protect ourselves,” he added.
By putting himself under self-isolation, Shakib Al Hasan has already set an example. He further wants people to follow the simple guidelines to protect themselves from getting affected by the disease. The prolific all-rounder feels by creating more awareness, we can keep the country safe.
“Hope everyone is well. The World Health Organization has called coronavirus as an epidemic. Bangladesh is not beyond that. ”
‘You already have heard that many corona virus affected patients have been found in Bangladesh. We need to be careful now. Our awareness can keep our country safe, to keep us healthy. ‘
“By following some simple steps, I think we can be free from this disease and keep our country safe from it. For example, washing hands with soap, maintaining social distance, adhering to proper etiquette when coughing and if someone is returning from abroad, he must keep himself at home and make sure not to leave the house. “
Before going to the USA, Shakib was travelling in the UK as he was seen to watch a football match between Manchester United FC and Manchester City FC at the Old Trafford on March 8. The all-rounder posted an image of Old Trafford on March 14 on his social media.
After that, he returned to Bangladesh and might have travelled his village in Magura as he posted some pictures with the hashtag # backtomy childhood on his social media on March 16, 17, 18 and 19.
Many people, mainly his fans, raised the question over his travelling during the coronavirus pandemic and asked on the Facebook comment box if he maintains the quarantine advice from the government after returning from the UK.
Shakib was banned from all cricketing activities for two years in October last year, with one year of those is suspended. The all-rounder is expected to return to the action before the T20 World Cup this year in Australia.
UEFA is exploring changes to Financial Fair Play rules as clubs grapple with the sudden loss in revenue caused by the coronavirus pandemic abruptly halting competitions across Europe.
The cost-control regulations were introduced a decade ago as a response to the global financial crisis caused by the banking collapse in a bid to prevent European clubs accumulating big losses.
But the break-even rules, which force clubs playing in the Champions League and Europa League to spend only what they earn, restrict wealthy owners from pumping money into clubs to spend on transfer fees and player salaries.
Now such injections of cash from investors could be necessary to maintain the financial health of clubs. Some clubs, including 2019 Champions League finalist Tottenham, are benefiting from tax payer aid with some non-playing staff furloughed using a British government scheme that pays wages.
UEFA, while trying to figure out when the season can resume, is assessing the rule changes needed as the pandemic causes financial tremors across the European game.
"A working group has been set up to look at how club licensing/FFP might need to adapt to take account of the extraordinary challenges that clubs face, as a result of the COVID-19 crisis," UEFA told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "The situation is evolving fast and the working group is continuously monitoring the situation with the aim to come to a proposal in the coming weeks."
Spanish league president Javier Tebas has been a long-standing advocate of FFP, particularly pushing for Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City to be punished because they benefit from investments linked to nation-state ownership.
City has been banned from the Champions League for the next two seasons for alleged deceptions about the source of revenue from Abu Dhabi — a case and appeal that is not impacted by any FFP changes.
But Tebas is now relaxing his stance about owners pumping cash into clubs, if that does not distort the player market.
"If those people want to invest a lot of money into football ... to reduce the debt levels of clubs," Tebas said, "well I think that would be studied and I think that could be possible."
But Tebas still does not want countries like Qatar, which owns PSG, to be allowed to inflate the bank balances which can be spent on players.
"What is concerning is the states," Tebas said. "When the crisis comes to an end maybe they won't be affected. If we talk about these clubs owned by states this is something I don't agree with.
"The fact we have a crisis doesn't mean we should allow any financial contribution just from anyone. ... So if (someone) comes along and wants to help a club and with a billion euros that should be to help to reduce the debt levels. That shouldn't be allowed to get a competitive advantage and then their losses are going up for the next few seasons."
FFP is also about ensuring clubs meet their financial obligations, including paying transfer fees to rivals on time. Spanish clubs have 350 million euros in outstanding transfer payments to collect from European clubs by Sept. 30, according to Spanish league president Javier Tebas.
"If European clubs don't pay Spanish clubs the Spanish clubs may not be able to pay other European clubs," Tebas said. "That is why it's important for the Financial Fair Play regulations to continue as they are and there is no one who wants to make the most of the circumstances and not pay. It is important Financial Fair Play regulations are abided by as they exist at the moment."
The UEFA executive committee did agree last week to give member associations more time to complete the club licensing process, including providing financial documents, given there is no clear time frame for starting next season.
"The current exceptional circumstances necessitate some specific interventions to facilitate the work of member associations and clubs," UEFA said of FFP.
Marseille is the biggest club announced as being under investigation for its finances this season after being accused of breaching an agreement imposed to settle previous financial problems. The club, which is second in the French league, agreed not to exceed a loss of 30 million euros under FFP calculations this season, and limit the ratio of player salaries compared to overall revenue.
According to the most recent data from UEFA, club across Europe made a combined profit of 140 million euros in 2018 compared to losses of 1.163 billion euros in 2009 before FFP was implemented.
Thomas Müller signed a two-year contract extension with Bayern Munich, the German champions said Tuesday.
The 30-year-old attacking midfielder's contract had been due to expire at the end of next season but he is now tied to the team until 2023.
Müller has been with Bayern for 20 years, winning eight German titles and the 2013 Champions League, and marked his 500th senior game for the club in November.
"I've been with FC Bayern for a good two-thirds of my life now, so you can't say that the club and I are just along for the ride — we fight for each other," Müller said in a statement. "This club is not just any old employer for me. It's my passion. I'm happy that I'll be here for two extra years, and I'll give everything on and off the pitch."
The announcement comes four days after Bayern coach Hansi Flick signed an extension through 2023.
Müller has played every league game for Bayern this season but hasn't represented the German national team since coach Joachim Löw said in March 2019 that Müller was no longer in his plans.
There could be another change at Bayern after Flick said he had spoken with Miroslav Klose about becoming his assistant.
Klose, the all-time record scorer at the World Cup with 16 goals, is currently coach of Bayern's under-17 team.
"I think that he would be an asset to our coaching team," the dpa news agency quoted Flick as saying.
However, Flick added that he still planned to speak with other possible candidates.