Former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful said the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) should organize another T20 league involving the local players before the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL).
Ashraful is one of many players who did not get a team in the upcoming edition of BPL beginning on December 11.
There were 181 local players in the players draft for ensuing BPL. Only 67 of them were lucky enough to get a team in the country’s only regular T20 league. But most of the domestic cricketers are jobless during the BPL.
“It’s really important to host another T20 league before the BPL which will surely help Bangladesh to bring out more talented cricketers for the shortest version of the game,” Ashraful told media on Tuesday.
“Most of the players were picked in BPL upon their performance in the First-class cricket. But it should have been done on the basis of their performance in a T20 league. So I believe if BCB hosts another T20 league right before the BPL, it will help Bangladesh cricket to perform better. It’s tough to get quality players just from one league,” Ashraful added.
A total of seven teams will play in the upcoming edition of BPL, which is rebranded as Bangabandhu BPL to pay tribute to the 100th birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
New Zealand Cricket has lodged an official complaint with police over the alleged racial abuse of England fast bowler Jofra Archer by a spectator at the first test at Mount Maunganui last week.
Chief executive David White said New Zealand Cricket's investigation had failed to find the spectator involved, but it would hand over a dossier to authorities to help with a police investigation.
During its investigation NZC studied CCTV footage and audio, interviewed bystanders and obtained material on social media which had been made available to police, NZC said in a statement.
Archer, who is black, revealed the racial abuse in a tweet posted only hours after the first test ended at Bay Oval.
"A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today whilst battling to help save my team. The crowd was been amazing this week except for that one guy." Archer said the fan later contacted him on Instagram.
White said he believed NZC had gathered enough information to justify a complaint to police.
"What happened to Jofra was reprehensible and has led to a general upscaling of security around the area of racial abuse at all our international venues," he said. "Should the person responsible ever re-offend, we believe we have enough information to link him to the Bay Oval incident."
Opening batsman Cameron Bancroft was cut as Australia trimmed its squad from 14 to 13 players for the upcoming three-test series against New Zealand.
Bancroft remains on standby for the first test, which starts at Perth on Dec. 12, as Australia otherwise has retained the players who completed a 2-0 series sweep of Pakistan.
"We are backing the current batting lineup to continue their form across the next three tests. They're functioning quite well, so we don't see it necessary to have a batsman as cover in the squad," selector Trevor Hohns said. "While not a part of this squad, Cameron Bancroft remains one of the standby players.
"Similarly, depending on conditions, we reserve the right to add a player to the squad at any time during the series."
Joe Burns was recalled to partner David Warner at the top of the order for the Pakistan series and scored 97 in a 222-run opening stand for Australia in the first test at the Gabba, setting up a victory by an innings and five runs.
Warner scored 154 in the first test and an unbeaten 335 — the second-highest score by an Australian batsman — in day-night test in Adelaide which finished on Monday with Australia again claiming an innings victory.
While Burns missed out in Adelaide, No. 3 Marnus Labuschagne added another century to the career-high 185 he posted at the Gabba.
With Steve Smith batting at No. 4, Australia's top order is settled for the first time in two seasons, leaving little room for Bancroft.
Australia's bowling attack is likely to remain unchanged, with pace bowlers Mitchell Starc (14 wickets), Josh Hazlewood (10) and Pat Cummins (8) dominating the wickets in the Pakistan series, and off-spinner Nathan Lyon picking up a five-wicket haul on the last day in Adelaide to wrap up the test and the series.
That leaves James Pattinson and Michael Nesser available as backup for the day-night test in Perth, with the latter released from the squad to play this weekend for his home state of Queensland in the domestic Sheffield Shield competition to maintain match fitness.
The second and third tests are at Melbourne from Dec. 26 and Sydney from Jan. 3.
New Zealand has named the same 15-man squad currently involved in its two-test series against England.
Australia squad: Tim Paine (captain), Pat Cummins, David Warner, Joe Burns, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Michael Neser, James Pattinson.
Caribbean dashing batsman Chris Gayle agreed to play in the upcoming edition of Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), which is rebranded as Bangabandhu BPL to pay tribute to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman marking his birth centenary.
In a press release on Monday evening, Chattogram Challengers confirmed that the batting superstar will play the forthcoming BPL for them. At the same time, they have confirmed that Gayle will not be a part of the team from the beginning of the event.
“There’s no doubt and Gayle will participate in this year BPL for us. He agreed to play this BPL,” KM Rifatuzzaman, the managing director of the Challengers, said.
“It’ll take some time for Gayle to return to the field as the batsman has been suffering from a hamstring problem. So, we might not get his service from the beginning of the event, but he will certainly join us in the BPL,” he added.
A total of seven teams will participate in the special BPL. Along with Chattogram Challengers, the other teams are Dhaka Platoon, Cumilla Warriors, Khulna Tigers, Rangpur Rangers, Rajshahi Royals and Sylhet Thunder.
The BPL will start on December 11. Before that, an opening ceremony will take place on December 8 at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium.
Nathan Lyon had never taken a five-wicket haul against Pakistan. The veteran off-spinner hadn't taken a wicket in the day-night test until the fourth day.
Then they tumbled. He took two wickets in the first session Monday and three in the second before Australia finished off a victory by an innings and 48 runs under lights to complete a two-test series sweep with more than a day to spare.
The 32-year-old Lyon (5-69) now has 50 test wickets at the Adelaide Oval, where he'd worked as a curator before making the national team, his 16th five-wicket haul in tests and his first against Pakistan.
The pace trio of Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood did most of the damage in the first test, which Australia won by an innings and five runs, and in Pakistan's first innings in Adelaide before the follow-on.
Pakistan resumed at 39-3 on day four and took the total to 123 before Lyon came into his own on familiar turf. Hazlewood picked up the penultime wicket soon after the dinner break and Cummins finished off the match when he threw down the stumps at the non-striker's end to run out Mohammad Abbas.
Opener David Warner's triple century set Australia on course for another big win, following up from his 154 in the first test. Marnus Labuschagne also produced back-to-back centuries as the Australian batsmen dominated an inexperienced Pakistan attack.
Lyon dismissed Shaheen Afridi to complete a five-wicket haul with the last delivery before the main interval Monday as Pakistan slumped to 229-8. Pakistan added only 10 further runs after the break.
Pakistan was 39-3 overnight after being forced to follow-on on day three, when the visitors were bowled out for 302 to surrender a 287-run first-innings lead.
Shan Masood scored 68 in a determined, 127-ball stand that ended when he advanced to Lyon and mis-judged a drive to mid-off, where Starc took a simple catch to end a 103-run fourth-wicket stand and make the score 123-4.
Asad Shafiq grafted his way to 57 from 112 balls before he was caught at leg-slip by Warner, trying to work a Lyon delivery square, as Pakistan slipped to 154-5.
Pakistan has been on the back foot since Australia won the toss and batted at Adelaide, with Warner posting an unbeaten 335 before skipper Tim Paine declared with the total at 589-3.
The dominance continued after the first break, with Lyon taking over from the quicks as the main threat. He bowled with subtle variety and just missing edges while getting regular wickets and conceding few runs with the old ball.
The sixth-wicket pair offered some stubborn defense before Lyon had Iftikhar Ahmed (27) caught by Labuschagne at short leg.
He trapped trapped Yasir Shah (13) lbw in front with a ball that skidded and sped on for 13 and went to the dinner break midway through his 25th over when Shaheen was caught at mid-off by Hazlewood.
Pakistan will return home to host its first test series in a decade on home soil, against Sri Lanka, and Australia will take on New Zealand in a three-test series.