Juba, Oct 14 (Xinhua/UNB) -- Chinese Ambassador to South Sudan Hua Ning has called for more efforts for peace in South Sudan while commending the progress made by the parties to the Sept. 12, 2018 deal towards achieving unification of forces ahead of the formation of a transitional unity government in November.
Hua said in a statement issued in Juba Sunday that unification of the army is an important part of the revitalized agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan, adding that a united force will help stabilize the country.
"It is good to learn that more than 60,000 troops have been registered and will soon be trained by the Joint Transitional Security Committee," Hua said.
"We have already traveled so far down the road to peace from the starting point, and will be able to reach the destination so long as all the parties work together." Hua said.
Hua, who attended the registration process on Saturday said he witnessed an atmosphere of unity and brotherhood among the commanders and soldiers.
"The clock is ticking on the peace talks. We are now in a race against time with a number of key issues that need to be resolved. Achieving peace through consultation is the only way out. "Hua added.
The envoy said Beijing is committed to providing in-kind support for the cantonment, noting that the first 1,500 tons of food have already been delivered to the cantonment sites.
"The Chinese Embassy in Juba will provide some equipment to the Joint Military Ceasefire Commission in the following days to facilitate the registration work," said Hua.
The Revitalized Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission, the peace monitoring body tasked to oversee the implementation of the revitalized peace deal, recently said the warring parties failed to form the unified force by the Sept. 30 deadline.
South Sudan descended into conflict in December 2013 after Kiir sacked his deputy Machar, leading to fighting between soldiers loyal to respective leaders. The conflict killed tens of thousands and displaced millions both internally and externally.
A peace deal signed in 2015 collapsed after the outbreak of renewed violence in July 2016, forcing Machar to flee the capital.
Under the 2018 peace deal, Machar will take up the first vice presidency position in the transitional government.
Nairobi, Oct 13 (AP/UNB) — Kenya's police chief says a roadside bomb has killed 11 officers on the country's southern border with Somalia.
Inspector General Hillary Mutyambai said Saturday the officers' patrol car was blown up on Damajale Hare Hare road near the town of Liboi. No one has claimed responsibility for the bomb, but al-Shabab militants from Somalia are suspected.
The al-Qaida-linked group has increasingly targeted Kenyan security forces in recent years. It vowed to take retribution on Kenya in 2011 for sending troops into Somalia to target its fighters.
In July, Kenyan border police killed three suspected al-Shabab members who allegedly blew up their vehicle near the Somali border. A January attack on a Nairobi luxury hotel complex by al-Shabab extremists killed 21 people.
El-Arish, Oct 13 (AP/UNB) — A shell hit a truck carrying civilians in Egypt's restive northern Sinai Peninsula on Saturday, killing at least nine people of the same family, security officials and medics said.
The officials said the shell exploded in the small town of Bir al-Abd. At least six others were wounded and were taken to a hospital, they said.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the shelling, which struck the family while they were returning home from their olive farm, according to two residents in the town.
The residents spoke on condition of anonymity out of concern for their safety.
Separately, officials say seven security forces were wounded when two explosive devices hit armored vehicles in Bir al-Abd and the town of Rafah, along the border with Gaza.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.
No group claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Egypt is battling an Islamic State-led insurgency in the Sinai that intensified after the military overthrew an Islamist president in 2013. The militants have carried out scores of attacks, mainly targeting the security forces and minority Christians.
Bir al-Abd was the site of a horrific 2017 attack on a mosque by Islamic extremists that killed over 300 worshippers.
The war has largely taken place hidden from the public eye, with journalists, non-residents and outside observers barred from the area. The conflict has also been kept at a distance from tourist resorts at the southern end of the peninsula.
In February last year, the military launched a massive operation in Sinai that also encompassed parts of the Nile Delta and deserts along the country's western border with Libya. Since then, the pace of IS attacks in Sinai's main theater has slowed to a trickle.
Cairo, Oct 12 (AP/UNB) — An Egyptian court has sentenced six people to death on terror-related charges for carrying out a militant attack outside a hotel near the famed Giza Pyramids.
The Giza criminal court on Saturday also sentenced eight defendants to life in prison on similar charges that include attacking security forces, and possession of weapons and explosives.
Another 12 defendants received 10 years in prison. The verdict can be appealed.
The charges stem from an attack in Jan. 2016 on an Egyptian security post outside the Three Pyramids Hotel.
No one was hurt in the incident, but the attack damaged the hotel's facade and also a bus parked in front of the building, which was in use by a group of visiting Arab Israelis.
Port-Au-Prince, Oct 11 (AP/UNB)— Protesters burned tires and spilled oil on streets in parts of Haiti's capital on Friday as they renewed their call for the resignation of President Jovenel Moïse just hours after a journalist was shot to death.
No one has been arrested in the death of reporter Néhémie Joseph of Radio Méga, who had been covering the protests and was found dead in his car late Thursday in the town of Mirebalais, northeast of Port-au-Prince, according to Radio Vision 2000.
In a Facebook post in late September, Joseph said that a couple of politicians had threatened him after one of his shows and accused him of inciting protests. It was unclear, however, if this was the motive for his killing.
The Association of Professional Journalists of Artibonite asked justice officials to investigate the killing.
"The press should not have to claim victims and bodies as their own," the group said.
Joseph is the third Haitian journalist killed in less than two years. Radio Sans Fin reporter Pétion Rospide was fatally shot in June as he drove home, while freelance journalist Vladjimir Legagneur disappeared in March 2018 while working on a story.
The most recent killing comes amid a spike in violence in Haiti's capital and surrounding communities as protests that have caused nearly 20 deaths and almost 200 injuries paralyze the country for nearly a month. Businesses remain shuttered and an estimated 2 million children have not been able to go to school, according to the United Nations.
"It's a very, very serious situation," said Michèle Pierre-Louis, a former prime minister with the non-governmental organization FOKAL. "No one is really talking about the suffering of the people. The consequences are terrible."
Earlier this week, Moïse announced the creation of a commission charged with finding a solution to end the worsening crisis, but opposition leaders have rejected his call for dialogue and unity. The opposition says it wants Moïse to step down as anger over corruption, rising inflation and lack of basic goods including fuel continue to roil Haiti.
Many also are calling for a more in-depth investigation following a report by Haiti's Senate that accuses former top government officials from the administration of former president Michel Martelly of misusing at least $2 billion in funds tied to a Venezuelan subsidized oil program that were meant for social programs.
The report also names a company that Moïse once owned. Moïse, who was Martelly's hand-picked successor, has denied the allegations.