San Francisco, Mar 30 (AP/UNB) — Facebook says it has removed 200 pages, groups and accounts linked to Nic Gabunada, reportedly the former social media manager of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, for misleading people.
The social network says it took down the accounts for "coordinated inauthentic behavior," the term it uses to describe accounts that work together to mask who is behind them and what their purpose is. In the past, Facebook has removed accounts linked to Russia , Iran and other countries for trying to wreak political havoc or influence elections in the U.S. and elsewhere.
The accounts and posts in question posted about elections, alleged misconduct by political candidates and local news. Facebook says they tried to hide their identity but were linked to a network organized by Gabunada.
New Delhi, Mar 27 (AP/UNB) — Facebook is taking steps to reduce the spread of false information on its platforms ahead of India's general election, company officials said Monday.
Facebook listed a variety of measures it is taking, from blocking fake accounts to employing third-party fact-checking organizations, through the campaign and voting, with polling scheduled to take place in stages from April 11 to May 19.
Calling the Indian elections a "top priority," Samidh Chakrabarti, director of Facebook's Product Management for Civic Integrity division, said the company has put in a "tremendous amount of efforts over the last two years" to prepare for the polls.
He said Facebook has partnered with Indian media organizations to check and flag false stories in English, Hindi and some other regional Indian languages.
After a fact-checker flags a story as containing false information, Facebook reduces the number of times it appears in any individual user's newsfeed by about 80 percent, Chakrabarti said.
The social media giant came under immense scrutiny after it failed to prevent the spread of false information during the 2016 U.S. elections, when allegations of outside interference resulted in Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg testifying in the U.S. Senate.
Facebook-owned messaging applications such as WhatsApp have been repeatedly scrutinized by the Indian government and security agencies, and asked to prevent the spread of false information and rumors that have been linked to mob killings.
In 2018, at least 20 people were killed in India, mostly in rural villages, in attacks by mobs that were inflamed by social media.
In response, WhatsApp restricted the forwarding of messages to five recipients at a time, instead of the 256 previously allowed.
Although the move was India-specific, it was applied globally earlier this year, WhatsApp announced in January.
But social media have also become a critical tool for Indian political campaigns. Ahead of elections in 2014, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party used social media extensively for political advertisements and to interact with young voters.
The Election Commission of India is trying to rein in social media giants such as Google, Twitter and Facebook to prevent the release of user data and to curb the spread of politically motivated manipulative information.
Social media companies have presented a "Voluntary Code of Ethics for the General Elections 2019" to the election monitoring body, a new requirement this year.
"We are working hard to prevent bad actors from interfering with elections on Facebook," Chakrabarti said, adding that Facebook has tripled the number of people working on safety and security to 30,000.
India reportedly has the highest number of Facebook users in the world, with more than 300 million. That is about a third of the 900 million people eligible to vote in 2019.
The elections will be held in seven phases to ensure proper security and manageable logistics across the country of 1.3 billion people. Counting of votes is to be conducted on May 23, with results expected the same day.
Dhaka, Mar 25 (UNB)- Local brand Walton has released its new 4G smartphone- ‘Primo H8’ in country’s tech market.
Customers will get discounts of Tk 1000 and purchase the device that features 3 GB RAM along with various attractive features at Tk 6,999 from its own online sales platform E-Plaza.
Asifur Rahman Khan, Chief of Walton Cellular Phone sales department, said that the regular price of the new smartphone is Tk 7,999. However, customers will get discount of taka 1,000 on online purchasing from March 26 to March 31, 2019.
They can order the new device from http://eplaza.waltonbd.com and will get the phone within 24-48 hours. Free delivery will be provided within 10 kilometers of the nearest Walton Plaza.
Attractively designed, the Primo H8 comes in three different colors- Midnight Blue, Rose Gold and Twilight Blue and features a 5.45-inch full-view HD+ IPS display with 1440X720 pixel screen resolutions. It sports a 1.3 GHz Quad Core processor, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB internal storage (expandable up to 64 GB) and PowerVR Rogue GE8100 GPU along with 3,200 mAh battery.
Runs on Android 8:1 Oreo operating system, the new device features 8-megapixel auto focus rear Sony camera with LED flash. It also sports another 8-megapixel front facing Omnivision selfie camera.
Some other attractive features of the dual-SIM supported phone is face unlock, fingerprint sensor and OTG support, full HD video playback etc.
Customers will also enjoy instant replacement warranty for 30 days for the phone along with one-year regular service warranty.
Dhaka, Mar 25 (UNB)- Vivo announced partnership with the world’s leading mobile game Player Unknown's Battlegrounds Mobile (PUBG MOBILE) on Monday as the title sponsor of the upcoming PUBG MOBILE Club Open 2019, one of the biggest mobile gaming tournaments in the world.
Vivo will provide the official smartphones for the PUBG MOBILE Club Open 2019, which players from 10 regions across the globe will be leveraging to battle their way through the Spring & Fall Split, for the total prize pool of $2.5 million.
This global partnership reinforces Vivo’s commitment to bring an ultra-smooth gaming experience to connect with consumers through meaningful partnerships.
The partnership between Vivo and the game’s developers Tencent Games and PUBG Corporation announced Monday.
Vivo thrives to be at the forefront of the eSports industry to best serve its consumers. The partnership with PUBG MOBILE is a key milestone, especially given that it is a leading mobile game developed by Tencent Games and PUBG Corporation that has over 200 million fans per download excluding China, Korea, and Japan.
The PUBG MOBILE Club Open 2019 is a strong opportunity to showcase Vivo’s vision of ‘enjoying the extraordinary’ by bringing global players a true gaming experience like no other.
This global partnership will unfold and strengthen Vivo’s position in being an innovative and stylish brand that always puts our consumer experience first.
The PUBG MOBILE STAR CHALLENGE 2018 was watched by over 230 million viewers and drew in over 5,000 live attendees at the global finals in Dubai. The qualifying round of PUBG MOBILE Club Open 2019 began March 22.
The Spring Split Global Finals will be hosted in July this year, with the Fall Split Global Finals following in December.
“We are excited to partner with Vivo, as they have a strong reputation in being innovative and putting the consumer’s needs first. As an innovative brand ourselves, this partnership highlights our dedication to bring the best experience possible to our players and fans around the world,” said Vincent Wang, General Manager of Global Publishing Department, Tencent Games.
San Francisco, Mar 22 (AP/UNB) — Facebook left hundreds of millions of user passwords readable by its employees for years, the company acknowledged Thursday after a security researcher exposed the lapse .
By storing passwords in readable plain text, Facebook violated fundamental computer-security practices. Those call for organizations and websites to save passwords in a scrambled form that makes it almost impossible to recover the original text.
"There is no valid reason why anyone in an organization, especially the size of Facebook, needs to have access to users' passwords in plain text," said cybersecurity expert Andrei Barysevich of Recorded Future.
Facebook said there is no evidence its employees abused access to this data. But thousands of employees could have searched them. The company said the passwords were stored on internal company servers, where no outsiders could access them. Even so, some privacy experts suggested that users change their Facebook passwords.
The incident reveals yet another huge and basic oversight at a company that insists it is a responsible guardian for the personal data of its 2.3 billion users worldwide.
The security blog KrebsOnSecurity said Facebook may have left the passwords of some 600 million Facebook users vulnerable. In a blog post , Facebook said it will likely notify "hundreds of millions" of Facebook Lite users, millions of Facebook users and tens of thousands of Instagram users that their passwords were stored in plain text.
Facebook Lite is a version designed for people with older phones or low-speed internet connections. It is used primarily in developing countries.
Last week, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg touted a new "privacy-focused vision " for the social network that would emphasize private communication over public sharing. The company wants to encourage small groups of people to carry on encrypted conversations that neither Facebook nor any other outsider can read.
The fact that the company couldn't manage to do something as simple as encrypting passwords, however, raises questions about its ability to manage more complex encryption issues — such in messaging — flawlessly.
Facebook said it discovered the problem in January. But security researcher Brian Krebs wrote that in some cases the passwords had been stored in plain text since 2012. Facebook Lite launched in 2015 and Facebook bought Instagram in 2012.
The problem, according to Facebook, wasn't due to a single bug. During a routine review in January, it say, it found that the plain text passwords were unintentionally captured and stored in its internal storage systems. This happened in a variety of circumstances — for example, when an app crashed and the resulting crash log included a captured password.
But Alex Holden, the founder of Hold Security, said Facebook's explanation is not an excuse for sloppy security practices that allowed so many passwords to be exposed internally.
Recorded Future's Barysevich said he could not recall any major company caught leaving so many passwords exposed. He said he's seen a number of instances where much smaller organizations made such information readily available — not just to programmers but also to customer support teams.
Security analyst Troy Hunt, who runs the "haveibeenpwned.com" data breach website , said the situation may be embarrassing for Facebook but not dangerous unless an adversary gained access to the passwords. Facebook has had major breaches, most recently in September when attackers accessed some 29 million accounts .
Jake Williams, president of Rendition Infosec, said storing passwords in plain text is "unfortunately more common than most of the industry talks about" and tends to happen when developers are trying to rid a system of bugs.
He said the Facebook blog post suggests storing passwords in plain text may have been "a sanctioned practice," although he said it's also possible a "rogue development team" was to blame.
Hunt and Krebs both likened Facebook's failure to similar stumbles last year on a far smaller scale at Twitter and GitHub; the latter is a site where developers store code and track projects. In those cases, software bugs were blamed for accidentally storing plaintext passwords in internal logs.
Facebook's normal procedure for passwords is to store them encoded, the company noted Thursday in its blog post.
That's good to know, although Facebook engineers apparently added code that defeated the safeguard, said security researcher Rob Graham. "They have all the proper locks on the doors, but somebody left the window open," he said.