Los Angeles, Sep 9 (AP/UNB) — Tiffany Haddish is continuing her hot streak, winning an Emmy Award in her first try.
Haddish was honored as best guest actress in a comedy series for hosting "Saturday Night Live."
The award was announced at Saturday's creative arts Emmys, a precursor to the Sept. 17 main ceremony airing on NBC.
Since her breakout performance in the movie "Girls Trip," Haddish has been an Oscar presenter and MTV Movie & TV Awards host. She co-stars in the sitcom "The Last O.G."
The award for best guest comedy actor went to Katt Williams for "Atlanta." Neither Williams or Haddish were in attendance.
Ron Cephas Jones of "This Is Us" and Samira Wiley of "The Handmaid's Tale" accepted guest acting honors in the drama series categories.
The "Star Trek" television franchise received the Governors Award. William Shatner, star of the original 1960s series, and Sonequa Martin-Green of 2018's "Star Trek: Discovery" accepted the award, along with other actors with "Star Trek" credentials including Walter Koenig, Jeri Ryan and Levar Burton.
An edited version of the two-part creative arts ceremony, held Saturday and Sunday, will be telecast on FXX at 8 p.m. EDT Saturday, Sept. 15.
Among other awards presented Saturday:
—Character voice-over performance: Alex Borstein, "Family Guy."
— Animated program: "Rick and Morty."
— Short-form animated program: "Robot Chicken."
— Short-form comedy or drama series: "James Corden's Next James Corden."
— Actor in a short-form comedy or drama series: James Corden.
— Actress in a short-form comedy or drama series: Christina Pickles, "Break A Hip."
— Television movie: "USS Callister (Black Mirror)."
— Commercial: "The Talk," P&G.
- Music composition for a series (original dramatic score): Ramin Djawadi, "Game of Thrones: The Dragon and the Wolf."
- Music composition for a limited series, movie or special (original dramatic score): Cyrille Aufort, "March Of The Penguins 2: The Next Step."
New York, Sept 8 (AP/UNB) — Nicki Minaj and Cardi B were involved in an altercation Friday night that got physical at a New York Fashion Week party and left Cardi B with a mark on her head.
A person who witnessed the incident who asked for anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly said Minaj was finishing up a conversation with someone when Cardi B tried to attack her, but Minaj's security guards intervened.
Video circulating on social media shows Cardi B lunging toward someone and being held back at Harper's Bazaar Icons party Friday night. Cardi B reportedly threw one of her shoes at Minaj. Another video shows the platinum rapper being escorted out of the event by security.
Cardi B, wearing a voluminous red Dolce & Gabanna gown, was seen leaving the party with what appeared to be a bump on her head. She was barefoot.
She and Minaj have been rap rivals since Cardi B began achieving huge success over the last year.
In a post on Instagram Cardi B didn't call out Minaj by name but alluded to the fight and said she was sparked because her mothering skills were being disparaged. She and rapper Offset recently had their first child together, a girl.
Minaj has not yet commented on the incident.
Los Angeles, Sep 7 (AP/UNB) — The idea to hand out a popular film Oscar has been shelved for now following widespread backlash, but film academy president John Bailey says that the new category was well-intentioned in its efforts to reflect a changing industry and misunderstood by its critics.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Thursday that it will further study plans for the category, citing the fact that implementing a new award three quarters of the way into the year would create challenges for films that have already been released.
The academy announced the new category for "outstanding achievement in popular film" last month without parameters, spawning immediate questions about the criteria and how it would impact critically and commercially films such as "Black Panther," which has been cited as a possible best picture contender.
Bailey told The Associated Press he was surprised by the negative reaction to the new category and feels that that people did not understand its goal to give recognition to the kinds of films that are being made today.
"The idea of this award was not about trying to make sure that certain kinds of big mass market pictures get recognized. To my mind, it's more about the kind of pictures that are so difficult to get made," Bailey said, citing films that he worked on like "The Big Chill" and "Ordinary People" as the kind of "middle pictures" that major studios don't make as many of and, when they do, aren't often recognized with the film industry's most prestigious award.
"What the board hoped was that in addition to maybe giving an opportunity for some of the larger budget films, (that it) was also and kind of mainly for these kinds of pictures that are so hard to get made — pictures like 'A Quiet Place' or 'Crazy Rich Asians,'" Bailey said. "These are wonderful pictures and deserve to somehow find an ability to be honored as well."
He's unsure of when it will remerge as a possible addition to the Academy Awards ceremony, but it could be as soon as next year.
While the criteria for the new category are still not defined, Bailey said both release size and box office are part of the equation and that a film like "Black Panther" could be submitted and potentially win for both best picture and popular film. The same is true for an animated film.
Oscar viewership is often tied to the box-office muscle of the big nominees. Ratings for the 90th Academy Awards fell to an all-time low of 26.5 million viewers, down 19 percent from the previous year and the first time the glitzy awards ceremony had fewer than 30 million viewers since 2008. The biggest show audience on record came in 1998, when the blockbuster "Titanic" was named best picture.
The last three years the best picture Oscar has gone to "smaller" films —"The Shape of Water," ''Moonlight" and "Spotlight" — none of which made more than $100 million at the North American box office or played in more than 3,000 theaters.
The 91st annual Oscars, to be held Feb. 24 in Los Angeles, will undergo some changes this year, with the academy planning to shorten the ceremony to three hours. In order to do so, it plans to hand out Oscars in six to eight categories during commercial breaks. The academy also still plans to shorten the awards season by moving up the 2020 Oscars a few weeks to Feb. 9, 2020.
For Bailey, the Oscars are not a static entity beholden to a certain way of doing things. He notes the Academy Awards have undergone many changes over the years, including adding and subtracting segments and categories.
The Oscar statuette, he said, "is a symbol of excellence in an ever-changing industry. And what we're trying to do is keep up with those changes and honor those changes. It's not like it's frozen in time, these awards."
He can't help but laugh about some of the apparent hypocrisy from in and outside of the academy.
"Some of the same people who are now so vociferously criticizing this award as a cop-out and a vulgarization of the Oscars are the same people that five years ago, seven years ago said, 'Why don't you guys nominate and honor films that are meant for a wider audience?'" Bailey said. "Everybody loves to jump on the academy."
Still, he has found a silver lining in the uproar.
"For an institution that people keep saying is irrelevant and is out of touch with everything to do with the industry, and there are people who say that, they seem to be very eager to kind of jump into the fray, voice their opinions and create discussion," Bailey said. "If we're that irrelevant, why is everybody so concerned about it?"
New York, Sep 5 (AP/UNB) — NBC News' decision to pass on Ronan Farrow's investigation into Harvey Weinstein's alleged sexual misconduct is an open wound, with Farrow and one of Weinstein's accusers criticizing the network's latest explanation and President Donald Trump chiming in Tuesday.
Trump tweeted that NBC is "now fumbling around making excuses for their probably highly unethical conduct." He called NBC "FAKE NEWS."
NBC News Chairman Andy Lack sent a lengthy email to staff members Monday evening outlining last summer's decision to pass on Farrow's reporting. He said his story wasn't ready to be aired at that time, and that NBC had done nothing to block his reporting.
Meanwhile, Farrow's former investigative producer called on the network to agree to an independent investigation of its actions.
Farrow had tweeted overnight that Lack's statement contained several false and misleading statements — in particular Lack's claim that Farrow had no women ready to publicly identify themselves with their accusations.
"The suggestion to take the story to another outlet was first raised by NBC, not me, and I took them up on it only after it became clear that I was being blocked from further reporting," Farrow said. "The story was twice cleared and deemed 'reportable' by legal and standards only to be blocked by executives who refused to allow us to seek comment from Harvey Weinstein."
Farrow took his story to The New Yorker, where seven women were identified making accusations against Weinstein when it was published. He shared a Pulitzer Prize with The New York Times for their stories on Weinstein, which ignited the #metoo movement.
NBC countered on Tuesday that a script of a Farrow story was never reviewed or approved by NBC's legal department. NBC had no comment on Trump's tweet.
One of Weinstein's accusers, Emily Nestor, issued a statement that she had done an interview with Farrow while he was at NBC where her name wasn't revealed, but had been discussing with him the possibility of being added as a named source. She said another woman had also been willing to be identified in the story. NBC said if Nestor had made such an offer then, it was news to them.
In his statement, Lack said he wondered "whether the brave women who spoke to him in print would have also sat before TV cameras and lights."
Nestor said that "the condescension dripping from this phrase is despicable. The implication that these 'brave women' were just not 'brave' enough to go in front of a TV crew undermines all of the dangers, uncertainties and obstacles we faced in coming forward in The New Yorker piece."
She said it was shameful to impugn Farrow's character or conduct in working on the story.
The unusually vitriolic argument between NBC and a former reporter isn't likely to go away soon; Farrow is writing a book about his experiences working on the story. The embarrassment of missing out on a scoop lingers, too. NBC explains its decision to let the story go was because of major disagreements with Farrow and his team. The network also points out that other news outlets had tried and failed to get the Weinstein story before it finally came out.
"If we had tried to hold him and nothing changed, we would have needlessly blocked him from disseminating it via another forum," Lack wrote to his employees. "And that is why we agreed to let him go elsewhere. If some believe that decision a failure of our competitive instincts, so be it. But it was a decision taken honorably and with good intentions toward Farrow and his work."
Rich McHugh, Farrow's former investigative producer who has been speaking out against NBC News since leaving his job at the network last month, called for an independent investigator to look into the dispute.
Dhaka, Sept 4 (UNB) - A two-day photo exhibition on Rohingya crisis began in the city on Tuesday.
The exhibition titled ‘Rohingya Crisis: 1 Year on’ is presented by the government of Bangladesh, the Inter Sector Coordination Group and the United Nations.
It remains open at Bay’s Edgewater Gallery in Gulshan from 10 am to 8 pm.
Earlier, a pre-launch reception was held at the venue on Monday evening participated officials from government, diplomatic community and the United Nations.
A collection of photographs have been put on display at the exhibition shared by the government and over 40 humanitarian agencies that are responding to the Rohingya crisis in Cox’s Bazar.
The photographs bring to life last year’s initial influx, the resilience of the Rohingya, the host community, emergency mitigation and international support to the Rohingya people.
Contributions by IOM, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP and WHO have made it possible to curate and present this exhibition of emotive photographs that tell a compelling story, said the organizers.