Dhaka, Nov 30 (UNB) -The founder of the MeToo movement has said that the campaign against sexual violence she began more than a decade ago has become "unrecognisable" to her.
Speaking at TEDWomen in Palm Springs, Tarana Burke said a media backlash had framed the movement as a witch hunt.
"Suddenly, a movement to centre survivors of sexual violence is being talked about as a vindictive plot against men," she said.
"Victims are heard and then vilified."
She was keen to get back to the original intention she had for MeToo when, in 2006, she wrote the words on a piece of paper as a way of starting an action plan to do something about the sexual violence she saw in her community.
The phrase became a globally used hashtag last year in the wake of allegations made against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein but Ms Burke says she feels the campaign is neglecting those it was set up to help.
"My vision for the Me Too movement is part of a collective vision to see a world free of sexual violence," she told delegates at the TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference.
"This is a movement about the one in four girls and the one in six boys who are sexually abused every year, and who carry those wounds into adulthood," she says.
Ms Burke said in the wake of events like Brett Kavanaugh being elected to the Supreme Court despite facing allegations of sexual misconduct - which he denied - US politicians seemed to be "pivoting away from the issue".
"This movement has been called a watershed moment but some days I wake up feeling that all the evidence points to the contrary," she said.
She ended her talk with a plea that victims not be forced to relive their traumas by speaking about them and she called for the fight against "power and privilege" to continue.
"We have to re-educate ourselves and our children to understand that power and privilege doesn't always have to destroy and take - it can be used to serve and build," she said.
New York, Nov 29 (AP/UNB) — Rita Moreno's portrayal of Anita in the classic 1961 film "West Side Story" won her an Oscar. Now, she has a different part in a remake directed by Steven Spielberg.
The publicist for the 86-year-old Moreno confirmed Wednesday that she'll play Valentina, a reworked version of the character of Doc, the owner of a corner store where Tony works. Ansel Elgort has been cast as Tony.
The story follows two star-crossed lovers, Tony and Maria, who are each associated with rival New York street gangs. The Pulitzer-winning playwright Tony Kushner is adapting the script. Moreno will also serve as an executive producer.
Filming is set to begin next summer.
Rome, Nov 26 (AP/UNB) — Filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci, who won Oscars with "The Last Emperor" and whose erotic drama "Last Tango in Paris" enthralled and shocked the world, has died. He was 77.
Bertolucci's press office, Punto e Virgola, confirmed the death Monday in an email to The Associated Press. Italy's state-run RAI said Bertolucci died at his home in Rome, surrounded by family.
Bertolucci's movies often explored the sexual relations among characters stuck in a psychological crisis, as in "Last Tango." The self-professed Marxist also did not shy away from politics and ideology, as in "The Conformist," which some critics consider Bertolucci's masterpiece.
Despite working with A-list American and international stars, Bertolucci always defended his own filmmaking style against what he said was the pressure of the U.S. film industry.
New York, Nov 25 (AP/UNB) — Placido Domingo's eyes watered and his voice quavered. After portraying dozens of characters over a half-century on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera House, he got emotional being himself.
"For us, the opera singers, it is just like Frank Sinatra said: New York, New York, if you made it, you made it everywhere," the 77-year-old singer from Spain said Friday night when he was honored on stage for the 50th anniversary of his Met debut.
Domingo's career with the Met started a few days ahead of schedule on Sept. 28, 1968, when he replaced an indisposed Franco Corelli as Maurizio in Cilea's "Adriana Lecouvreur" with Renata Tebaldi in the title role and Fausto Cleva conducting. Domingo's performance Friday in the title role of "Gianni Schicchi," the third opera of Puccini's "Il Trittico," was his 52nd role and 695th appearance at the Met as a singer and conductor.
During a ceremony after the opening opera, "Il Tabarro," Met general manager Peter Gelb gave Domingo a pair of gifts.
"Since you have owned this stage for your entire career, we thought we'd give you a piece of it. So this was removed from the stage earlier this week," Gelb said before bestowing a chunk of flooring.
Then he presented Domingo his leather jacket from a 1990s performance of Verdi's "Otello," which had been dipped in gold to mark the golden anniversary.
"This puts you and Elvis in the same class," Gelb said.
Domingo's wife Marta, son Alvaro and two grandchildren looked on as a montage of Domingo's career was shown, including a scene from "Sesame Street" with Miss Piggy.
"The generations go, go, go. I'm very happy to be surviving," Domingo said.
A few bouquets of flowers were thrown from the audience.
"There are some of you that you were at my debut," he said. "You are the judges. You are the ones that make an artist. So thanks to you I have been coming for a half-century."
A tenor for most of his life, Domingo switched to baritone parts about a decade ago. He has sung 150 roles, by his count.
"The last 20 years, it seems to me like that they are five," he said after the ceremony, "Time passes so quickly. One wishes that the time, maybe we can do it in a slow motion now the next years."
Domingo received a standing ovation of about 2 minutes when introduced. Four famous colleagues were recognized from the audience: Martina Arroyo, Sherrill Milnes, Teresa Stratas and James Morris.
"I think Placido's a miracle, and one of the most amazing parts of it is Marta," Stratas said.
Milnes first worked with Domingo in Guadalajara, Mexico, during Donizetti's "Lucia di Lammermoor" and Rossini's "Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville).
"I knew there was a special musicality because he was a tenor who could count. So if you said let's hold it two beats or four beats or three beats or whatever — boom! You got it," Milnes said. "No other tenor did that. And just multiply that a thousand times. It's crescendi, the decrescendi, all the lovely musical things. He's just sharp that way, probably the best."
Domingo is known for indefatigable energy. Morris remembered making his Iago role debut at the Met opposite Domingo's Otello in 1995.
"If he had two days off or three days off, he was going here, going down to Acapulco or whatever," Morris said. "I said, Placi, you're like a shark, if you stop swimming, you'll drown."
Providence, Nov 23 (AP/UNB) — After more than 125 performances in "The Nutcracker" in Rhode Island, a 19-year-old Yorkshire terrier named Archie is leaving the stage.
Festival Ballet Providence announced this week that its beloved "Nutcracker" dog is retiring.
The ballet says Archie achieved stardom in his annual romp across the Providence Performing Arts Center stage and is ready for the next chapter.
Misha Djuric (JUHR'-itch), the ballet's artistic director and Archie's owner, says Archie is "settling down to a life of luxury and long naps on pillows."
The ballet is holding auditions for the next "Nutcracker" dog. Auditions will take place at the Festival Ballet Providence studios on Hope Street in Providence on Dec. 2.
The ballet says it's looking for a pup with an elegant prance, regal coat of fur and charming smile.