Dhaka, Sept 17 (UNB) - A young man who found a wallet containing €2,000 (£1770; $2200) in cash on the street in Rome refused a reward after returning it to its owner, reports BBC.
Mossan Rasal, a 23-year-old Bangladeshi citizen, went directly to the police after spotting the item on the pavement in the Italian capital on Friday.
It was then arranged for the owner to collect the wallet from Mr Rasal.
He was thanked for his honesty but said "I did not do anything exceptional," adding: "That money wasn't mine."
"I didn't know the amount because I didn't count it, I just took everything to the [police] station," Mr Rasal told Italian daily La Repubblica on Sunday.
"It was about being honest, as my family taught me to be," he added.
The wallet also contained several credit cards, a driver's license and personal identification papers, police said.
Mr Rasal, who runs a small stall in central Rome, has been living in the city for seven years. He said that he would be happy if the owner of the wallet, a local businessman, now visited his stall and became a regular customer.
Congo, Sept 17 (AP/UNB) — Police in Congo say 36 people are missing after a boat sank on the Congo River east of the capital, Kinshasa.
The national police said Sunday that about 76 people were rescued after the accident near the Mambutuka locality about 80 kilometers (49 miles) outside Kinshasa.
The boat had been traveling from Balibambi in Mai-Ndombe province to the capital.
The cause of the accident is not immediately known. Boats in the vast nation of Congo are usually overloaded with passengers and cargo, and official manifests don't include all those aboard.
The overcrowding makes it common for boats to capsize.
Road infrastructure in the vast Central African nation is often poor.
Chattogram, Sept 16 (UNB) - Election Commissioner Kabita Khanam on Monday warned that action will be taken if any election official is found involved in providing national identity (NID) and smart cards to Rohingyas.
“If any election official is found involved in providing national identity (NID) and smart cards to Rohingyas, he or she will be removed,” she said while talking to reporters after a meeting with local election officials in the city.
Kabita said the Election Commission has changed the passwords of all the upazila and thana election offices across the country and introduced new security features in the system so that no Rohingya can be enlisted as a voter.
She also directed all the registration officers, conveners of special committees and Chattogram divisional commissioner to remain alert in this regard.
According to sources at the EC, the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has found that false NID and smart cards were prepared for Rohingyas using an EC laptop which went missing from its Chattogram office.
But the ACC could not confirm whether the laptop was stolen or handed over to someone by election officials.
A total of 46 Rohingyas have so far been identified who were included in the voter list.
The voter ID cards were prepared in 14 thana election offices in six districts with 74 registration forms.
Meanwhile, the EC has blocked the NID server for further investigation into the matter.
By the time, three members of an NID forgery gang were arrested in Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar.
On September 1, an alleged Rohingya robber leader who was killed in a reported gunfight with law enforcers in Teknaf of Cox’s Bazar had an NID card.
Bangladesh is now hosting over 1.1 million Rohingyas. More than 730,000 Rohingya fled to Bangladesh after the Myanmar military launched a brutal offensive targeting the mainly-Muslim ethnic minority on August 25, 2017.
Pyongyang, Sept. 16 (Xinhua/UNB) -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday welcomed the upcoming working-level negotiation with the United States.
In a statement released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the Director General of the Department of U.S. Affairs of the Foreign Ministry said the DPRK-U.S. dialogue has two options, either improve the relations or add to the hostility toward each other.
"In this sense, the upcoming working-level negotiations will be an occasion decisive of the future road of the DPRK-U.S. dialogue," the unnamed official said.
He added that the discussion of denuclearization "may be possible when threats and hurdles endangering our system security and obstructing our development are clearly removed beyond all doubt."
Last week, Pyongyang said it was willing to speak with Washington later in September through a message conveyed by KCNA.
The talks between Pyongyang and Washington has been stalled since the no-deal summit meeting between DPRK top leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump in Hanoi, Vietnam in late February.
"Whether the DPRK-U.S. negotiation will be a window for a chance or an occasion to precipitate crisis is entirely up to the U.S.," the statement said.
Trump announced last Tuesday he had fired his National Security Advisor John Bolton over disagreements on foreign policy issues, including the DPRK. Bolton was known for taking a tough stance on Pyongyang, which brings hopes of reaching a deal between DPRK and the United States in the upcoming negotiations.
Sydney, Sept. 16 (Xinhua/UNB) -- Two Chinese nationals were killed and another was seriously injured following a collision between a car and a tourist bus in the state of Western Australia on Sunday.
The two deceased and the injured women have been confirmed as residents of China's Macao.
Officials from the Chinese Consulate General in Perth told Xinhua that the injured woman is in a stable condition and will remain in hospital for observation.
According to the police, the crash occurred shortly before 2:00 p.m. local time on Sunday as the car in which the three women were travelling attempted to make a turn onto a remote stretch of a highway roughly 190 km north of the state capital of Perth.
The bus, which was carrying 34 passengers, collided with the women's car, causing it to roll before coming to rest on its roof.
"The driver of the car died at the scene. The two passengers were conveyed to Royal Perth Hospital by the RAC Rescue Helicopter. One passenger has since died," police said in a statement.
Some of the occupants of the bus were treated at the scene for shock and minor injuries.
The crash took place not far from the tourist site, the Pinnacles rock formations, on the notorious Indian Ocean Drive, which has also seen several serious crashes since it opened in 2010.
Last year two Chinese tourists were killed when the bus they were travelling in was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle. In 2017, three people, including a six-year-old boy were killed in a similar incident.
Representatives from the Chinese Consulate General in Perth have consulted with local police in order to notify the families of those involved and provide support to the injured victim.