Maradona remains sedated in ICU after brain surgery
Publish- November 08, 2020, 09:27 AM
Xinhua/UNB - Xinhua/UNB
Update- November 08, 2020, 10:07 AM
Supporters of Diego Maradona hold a banner outside the Olivos clinic, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Nov. 3, 2020. Photo: Xinhua
Argentinian football legend Diego Maradona remains sedated and under observation by a team of more than 10 doctors following brain surgery, his lawyer said on Saturday.
The 60-year-old has been in intensive care since undergoing a procedure to remove a subdural hematoma - an accumulation of blood between a membrane and his brain - at the Olivos clinic north of Buenos Aires last Tuesday.
"I just saw Diego, he is still sedated and resting," Matias Morla told reporters. "There is a medical team made up of more than 10 professionals that is in constant contact with everyone."
Morla said doctors had given no indication of when the former Napoli, Barcelona and Boca Juniors forward might be discharged from hospital.
"Given the state in which I just saw him, there is no chance that he will leave [this weekend]. He is resting and awaiting results," he said.
"There's a lot of uncertainty. It's very ugly. I hope he continues to recover."
On Thursday, Maradona's personal doctor, Leopoldo Luque, said the 1986 World Cup winner was suffering from confusion caused by "abstinence" after the operation. Luque did not provide details but Maradona has previously battled drug and alcohol addiction.