US President Donald Trump
EU approves US tariff deal after intense internal debate to avoid trade clash
The European Union has approved a tariff agreement with the United States that sets a 15% cap on most EU exports, helping to avoid a trade confrontation with US President Donald Trump ahead of a July 4 deadline.
The decision came after heated discussions among the 27-member bloc’s leaders and lawmakers, with some warning that the deal could have been blocked in the European Parliament. The agreement governs one of the world’s largest trade relationships, covering goods and services across the Atlantic, at a time of global economic pressure linked in part to the ongoing war in Iran.
The deal was originally reached last July between European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and President Donald Trump at his Turnberry golf course in Scotland, following months of negotiations triggered by earlier US tariff moves. Since then, further talks continued between Washington and Brussels as criticism grew within Europe, including concerns after Trump suggested taking control of Greenland, a self-governing territory of Denmark. He has since stepped back from that idea.
The European Commission welcomed the approval, saying “a deal is a deal” and stressing that the EU stands by its commitments.
EU lawmakers also pushed for safeguards in the agreement in case the United States changes its position later. Bernard Lange, head of the European Parliament’s trade committee, said the bloc would respond if problems arise.
Under the agreement, tariffs on most EU exports to the US will be capped at 15%, while EU tariffs on US industrial goods will be reduced to zero. Although the arrangement raises costs compared to the previous average tariff level of 4.8%, supporters say it provides businesses with stability and predictability, helping the bloc avoid recession risks.
Officials and business groups also argue the deal is important as global economic uncertainty rises, with ongoing tensions in the Middle East affecting energy prices and inflation across regions from Europe to the United States.
The American Chamber of Commerce in Brussels welcomed the agreement, saying it allows both sides to move beyond tariffs and focus on issues such as supply chain stability.
EU trade negotiator Maroš Šefčovič said the final approval followed an intense five-hour overnight round of talks between EU institutions, calling it a step that would strengthen stability in transatlantic trade.
However, doubts remain over whether the United States can fully implement the deal. Legal challenges in US courts have questioned the authority used by Trump to impose tariffs, with some rulings saying certain measures were not properly authorized by law.
This has raised uncertainty in Europe about whether Washington will follow through on the agreement. Bernard Lange said the situation remains unclear, noting that the EU is now waiting for a firm response from the US side.
2 days ago
Trump rejects possibility of concessions to Iran
US President Donald Trump has said he is not willing to offer any concessions to Iran at this stage, expressing dissatisfaction over Tehran’s latest response to Washington on ending the conflict.
In an interview with the media, Trump said Iran is aware of “what’s going to be happening soon,” indicating potential developments ahead.
When asked about his earlier remarks on Friday suggesting openness to a 20-year pause in Iran’s nuclear programme, Trump said, “I’m not open to anything right now.”
Irish president’s sister also detained after Israeli action on flotilla
Meanwhile, former US special envoy to Iran Rob Malley criticised the approach taken by Trump, warning that it risks repeating mistakes similar to the Vietnam War.
Speaking to Al Jazeera, Malley said measuring success by the number of Iranian leaders killed or military assets destroyed reflects the “wrong metric.”
He stressed that the only viable way to end the conflict is through a negotiated settlement that takes into account the interests of both the United States and Iran.
With inputs from Al Jazeera
3 days ago
Buried Iranian enriched uranium under close watch, says Trump
US President Donald Trump has said that the United States is closely monitoring Iranian enriched uranium reportedly buried under rubble, adding that the US Space Force is handling the issue.
In an interview with independent journalist Sharyl Attkisson, recorded last week and aired on Sunday, Trump warned that if anyone attempts to approach the material, the United States would detect it and “blow them up.”
He also claimed that US forces would need only two more weeks to strike “every single target” in Iran, which he described as already “militarily defeated.”
Netanyahu says Iran war is ‘not over’; Trump rejects Tehran proposal
“We could go in for two more weeks and do every single target. We have certain targets that we wanted to… And we’ve done probably 70 percent of them, but we have other targets that we could conceivably hit,” Trump said.
Meanwhile, Iran’s latest response to a US-proposed text aimed at ending the war was sent on Sunday to mediator Pakistan, according to Iran’s official news agency IRNA.
The report said the proposed framework suggests that negotiations at this stage would focus on ending the regional conflict.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said Iran must “make it clear” that it does not seek nuclear weapons, a condition Washington considers essential for any peace agreement.
11 days ago
Iran will be ‘blown off the face of the Earth’ if it intervenes in Hormuz: Trump says
US President Donald Trump has warned that Iran would be “blown off the face of the Earth” if it attacks American vessels involved in “Project Freedom” in the Strait of Hormuz.
In an interview with media, Trump said he believes Iran has become “much more malleable” in ongoing peace negotiations, while stressing that the United States continues to expand its military presence in the region.
“We have more weapons and ammunition at a much higher grade than we had before,” Trump told Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst.
Trump says US holding ‘very positive discussions’ with Iran over war
He added that the US possesses advanced equipment and maintains well-stocked military bases across the world, which could be deployed if necessary.
Source: Al Jazeera
17 days ago
Trump, Putin hold phone conversation on Iran and Ukraine, says Kremlin
Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump have held a phone conversation discussing issues related to Iran and Ukraine, the Kremlin has said.
According to a Kremlin aide, during the call Putin put forward proposals aimed at resolving the conflict over Iran’s nuclear programme. He also suggested a temporary ceasefire in Ukraine to coincide with the upcoming anniversary of the end of World War II next month.
Meanwhile, US media outlet Axios reported that Trump has rejected Iran’s peace proposal and said the US military blockade of Iranian ports will continue until Tehran agrees to a nuclear deal.
Trump Declares “NO MORE MR. NICE GUY” in Sharp Warning to Iran
“The blockade is somewhat more effective than the bombing. They are choking like a stuffed pig, and it is going to be worse for them. They can’t have a nuclear weapon,” Trump was quoted as saying by Axios.
Iran had earlier this week reportedly proposed ending the ongoing conflict and reopening the Strait of Hormuz, while suggesting that nuclear negotiations be postponed to an unspecified future date.
Source: Al Jazeera
22 days ago
Trump reviews Iran plan on Strait of Hormuz, unhappy over delayed nuclear talks
US President Donald Trump is reviewing a proposal from Iran aimed at ending its conflict with Israel, reopening the Strait of Hormuz and postponing nuclear negotiations until after the war.
The White House said Trump met his national security advisers on Monday to assess the proposal. However, US media reports suggest he is not satisfied with the plan because it delays discussions on Iran’s nuclear programme.
According to Reuters, citing a US official, Trump wants the nuclear issue to be addressed at the very beginning of any talks. CNN reported, quoting sources familiar with the matter, that he is unlikely to accept the proposal, as easing US restrictions on Iranian ports without resolving nuclear concerns could reduce Washington’s bargaining power.
The proposal comes as uncertainty continues over shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a key global trade route. Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian has said Tehran will not enter negotiations while US restrictions on its ports remain in place.
Washington and Tehran agreed to a temporary ceasefire on April 8 after more than a month of fighting triggered by joint US and Israeli strikes on Iran. The truce, mediated by Pakistan, is now under pressure due to disagreements over maritime access in the strait and US measures targeting Iranian ports. Ongoing tensions involving Israel and Lebanon have further complicated the situation.
Meanwhile, Iran has signalled it is still open to diplomacy. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met Russian President Vladimir Putin in St Petersburg on Monday and said Tehran is considering a US request to resume talks.
Araghchi welcomed high-level engagement with Russia during a period of regional instability, saying recent developments show the strength of ties between the two countries. He also expressed appreciation for Moscow’s support for diplomatic efforts.
Iran has also been engaging with regional partners, including Pakistan and Oman, which has traditionally acted as a mediator. Officials say Tehran is keeping communication channels open and continues to signal readiness for dialogue.
At the same time, pressure is growing internationally to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Many countries have called for urgent and unhindered access to the waterway, while UN Secretary-General António Guterres warned the situation could lead to a global food crisis.
Diplomats at the UN Security Council have repeatedly urged de-escalation, highlighting disruptions caused by stranded cargo ships and thousands of maritime workers unable to pass through the strait.
About 20 percent of the world’s oil and natural gas flows through the route, making the situation critical for global energy supplies.
Bahrain, which requested the UN meeting with support from several affected countries, described the closure as a violation of international law and called for an end to attacks on ships. However, no action was taken, as an earlier resolution urging the reopening of the strait was blocked by China and Russia, with Moscow blaming the US and Israel for escalating the conflict.
Source: Al Jazeera
24 days ago
Uncertainty surrounds possible US-Iran talks as ceasefire extension leaves tensions high
Uncertainty continues over the next steps for possible US-Iran talks after US President Donald Trump said Washington had extended the ceasefire in the conflict at Pakistan’s request, while waiting for what he called a “unified proposal” from Tehran.
Iran has not yet responded to Trump’s announcement. Both sides have also warned they could resume fighting if no agreement is reached.
In a social media post on Tuesday, Trump said Iran does not want the Strait of Hormuz closed because it relies on the route to export crude oil. He also earlier indicated that the US military would maintain pressure on Iranian ports.
The developments come as tensions remain high across the wider region. Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah group in Lebanon exchanged fire on Tuesday, despite a recent 10-day ceasefire. Talks in Washington are expected later this week.
The conflict has already caused heavy casualties, with thousands killed in Iran and Lebanon and deaths also reported in Israel and Gulf Arab states, along with losses among soldiers and US personnel in the region.
In a separate development, Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard opened fire on a container ship in the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, damaging the vessel, according to the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO).
UKMTO said the incident occurred around 7:55am when a Guard gunboat fired without first contacting the ship. No injuries or environmental damage were reported.
Iranian media outlets linked to the Revolutionary Guard confirmed the incident, with one describing the move as enforcement of Iran’s control over the Strait of Hormuz.
The narrow waterway, through which a large share of global oil shipments passes, is widely regarded as an international shipping route despite lying between Iranian and Omani waters.
The incident follows recent US actions in the region, including the seizure of an Iranian-linked ship and the boarding of an oil tanker associated with Iran’s oil trade in the Indian Ocean, further heightening tensions.
1 month ago
US ready for war again if Iran deal fails, Trump warns
US President Donald Trump has said he is “ready to go” back to war with Iran if no agreement is reached by the end of the ceasefire scheduled for tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s information minister said Iran’s response on whether it will send a delegation to meet US officials is still awaited, as diplomatic efforts to end the US-Israel conflict with Iran remain uncertain.
Earlier, Tehran said it would not enter negotiations under the “shadow of threats” or under a US naval blockade.
Vance to travel to Pakistan on Tuesday for Iran talks
Source: Al Jazeera
1 month ago
Trump says US will get Iran’s enriched uranium
US President Donald Trump said Washington will obtain all of Iran’s enriched uranium as part of an anticipated agreement, while maintaining that no financial exchange would be involved.
In a post on social media, Trump referred to Iran’s enriched uranium as “nuclear dust” and said the United States would take possession of it, reports Al Jazeera.
He added that no money would be exchanged “in any way, shape, or form” and that the arrangement would not be linked to developments in Lebanon.
Iran, US say Strait of Hormuz is fully open to commercial vessels
In a separate post, Trump said the Strait of Hormuz is “completely open and ready for business,” but noted that a US naval blockade on Iran would remain in place until a final deal is reached.
“The naval blockade will remain in full force and effect as it pertains to Iran, only, until such time as our transaction with Iran is 100% complete,” he said, adding that the process “should go very quickly” as most key points have already been negotiated.
1 month ago
Iran, US say Strait of Hormuz is fully open to commercial vessels
Iran and the United States on Friday said the Strait of Hormuz has been reopened and is fully operational for commercial shipping after nearly seven weeks of disruption that had affected global energy trade.
“IRAN HAS JUST ANNOUNCED THAT THE STRAIT OF IRAN IS FULLY OPEN AND READY FOR FULL PASSAGE. THANK YOU!,” US President Donald Trump said on social media, using an unofficial name for the strategic waterway.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi confirmed that commercial vessels would be allowed to pass in line with the ongoing ceasefire arrangement, reports South China Morning Post.
Araghchi said ships would be required to follow designated routes set by Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organisation.
The announcement comes alongside a 10-day ceasefire between Israel and Iran-backed Hezbollah, under which passage through the strait will remain open for the duration of the truce.
Trump, however, said US naval blockade on Iranian vessels and supplies would remain in place until a final agreement is reached.
The apparent breakthrough eased market concerns, with oil prices falling nearly 10 percent following the announcement.
1 month ago