San Francisco, Mar 1 (AP/UNB) — YouTube said Thursday it will turn off comments on nearly all videos featuring kids — potentially affecting millions of posts on the site — after reports last week that pedophiles were leaving inappropriate comments on innocuous videos of children.
The change comes as YouTube grapples with moderating content across its platform as concerns about hate speech, violence and conspiracy theories continue to plague it.
It will take YouTube several months to disable comments on all videos featuring minors, the company said. It already started the process last week when it turned off comments from tens of millions of videos.
Advertisers including Nestle, AT&T and Fortnite-maker Epic Games pulled ads from YouTube last week after the inappropriate comments about children were unearthed by a popular YouTuber and media reports. At least one company, Nestle, was satisfied with YouTube's response and reinstated ads late last week.
A small number of channels which have videos featuring kids will be allowed to keep comments turned on. But they must be known to YouTube and must actively monitor the comments beyond the standard monitoring tools YouTube provides.
Turning off comments on such a large number of videos seems an "extreme reaction," said eMarketer analyst Paul Verna. But the issue involves the safety of children, so it makes sense YouTube would want to act quickly, he said.
Comments aren't the main focus of the video-publishing site, but turning them off will likely diminish the experience for many users and video creators, he said.
YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki acknowledged the concerns Thursday, tweeting, "Nothing is more important to us than ensuring the safety of young people on the platform."
The company said it has also released an updated version of its automated moderating system that it expects will identify and delete two times as many inappropriate comments.
YouTube, like Facebook, Twitter and other sites that allow user publishing, have faced increasing calls to monitor what appears on their sites and get rid of unsuitable content. The companies all say they have taken action to protect users. But issues keep popping up.
Concerns about YouTube comments weren't even a top priority for advertisers and viewers a couple weeks ago, Verna said.
"It just makes you wonder, what's the next thing that going to happen?"
Dhaka, Feb 28 (UNB) – Bangladesh has received full support from the ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) about following national standard of Bangla language in Unicode.
Telecommunication and Information Technology Minister Mustafa Jabbar made the remarks after a meeting with ICANN at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Wednesday.
During the meeting, the ministers highlighted in details all the existing problems involving writing Bangla in Unicode and sought their cooperation for solving the issues.
ICANN authorities assured that they would take necessary steps to remove some other existing problems in adjoining letters in writing Bangla as well as ‘.Bangla’ domain names.
ICANN President and CEO Goran Marby, Chief Technical Officer David Conard and other higher officials of the organisation were present while Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) Chairman Md Jahurul Haque and telecom specialist TIM Nurul Kabir attended the meeting.
Minister Jabbar said ICANN authorities “gave us full support”.
ICANN’s CEO said they will place Bangla letters before the Unicode Consortium for their support. “ICANN’s support means the existing problem will be solved,” Jabbar said.
He said the issues were not addressed as there was no Bangladesh representative in the ICANN in the last 23 years.
Unicode Consortium started its journey in 1987 and Bangladesh joined it in 2010.
The operator of a video-sharing app popular with teenagers agreed to pay $5.7 million to settle federal allegations it illegally collected personal information from children .
The Federal Trade Commission said the Wednesday penalty against lip-syncing app Musical.ly, now known as TikTok, is the largest ever obtained in a children's privacy case.
The FTC said the app violated the federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which requires kid-oriented websites to get parents' consent before collecting personal information from children under 13.
The app changed its practices in 2017 to officially ban kids under 13 from joining, but it wasn't hard to find children as young as 8 or 9 sharing short videos of themselves on the platform.
"Just because you say it's intended for over-13 doesn't mean that it is," said Andrew Smith, director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection, in a conference call Wednesday.
Musical.ly, founded in 2014 and registered in the Cayman Islands, grew rapidly and operated out of offices in Shanghai and California. The FTC said the app has been downloaded by more than 200 million people worldwide, and 65 million in the U.S.
It built a devoted community of self-described "musers" who regularly shared lip-syncing, dancing, gymnastics or comedy videos. But the app also raised concerns among many parents, especially after news reports of adult predators using the app to contact children.
Smith said that along with failing to adequately seek parent's permission, the operators of Musical.ly didn't honor parents' requests for personal information to be deleted. Smith said the company deleted some under-age accounts but didn't delete their videos and profile information from its own servers.
Profile information often included email addresses as well as a child's name, age, school and picture. Until October 2016, one of the app's features allowed users to find nearby users within a 50-mile radius.
Beijing-based ByteDance Technology announced it was acquiring the platform in late 2017, and last summer folded Musical.ly into its own popular video app, TikTok, which is based in Los Angeles.
TikTok said in a blog post Wednesday that in conjunction with the FTC agreement, it's starting a separate app for younger U.S. users with stronger safety and privacy protections. Children using the new app will be able to watch videos but won't be able to share their own videos, make comments, maintain a profile or message other users.
TikTok's intention to start a new app for children was troubling to Josh Golin, who directs the Boston-based Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood.
"TikTok should be nowhere near children and children should be nowhere near TikTok," Golin said.
Golin and other privacy advocates were also underwhelmed by FTC's record fine, arguing that big companies like ByteDance will see it as merely the cost of doing business.
Massachusetts Democratic U.S. Sen. Edward Markey, who authored the decades-old privacy law the FTC's complaint was based on, said in a statement Wednesday that the fine "is not high enough for the harm that is done to children and to deter violations of the law in the future by other companies."
Children's advocates have pushed the FTC to investigate whether other companies, including Google's YouTube, are similarly violating children's online privacy.
The FTC said its Musical.ly investigation was sparked in part by a referral from the Better Business Bureau's Children's Advertising Review Unit, a group set up by industry to regulate itself.
Redmi Note 7 Pro is now official, after having been globally unveiled in India today.
Over a month after teasing the Redmi Note 7 Pro at the official introduction of the Redmi Note 7, Xiaomi on Thursday announced the phone at an event in New Delhi, making India the first market to get the smartphone, reports NDTV.
The Redmi Note 7 Pro is joined by the Redmi Note 7, which is also launching in the country today. The Pro variant improves on the original Redmi Note 7 in a number of ways, including an upgraded processor, more storage, and improved cameras.
Redmi Note 7 Pro price in India, launch offers
Xiaomi has priced the Redmi Note 7 Pro starting Rs. 13,999 (TK- 16,570) for the 4GB + 64GB variants, whereas the 6GB + 128GB version will be offered at Rs. 16,999 (TK- 20,120) .
The Chinese smartphone maker notes that the Redmi Note 7 Pro will be available starting March 13 (12pm) and it will be sold in three colours - Neptune Blue, Nebula Red, and Space Black. The first two colour variants come with a gradient finish on the back.
According to Xiaomi, the Redmi Note 7 Pro will be sold via Mi.com, Flipkart, and Mi Home stores, with select offline retailers to follow.
The Redmi Note 7, which as we mentioned earlier was launched with the Note 7 Pro today, will go on sale beginning March 6 in the country. It has been priced starting Rs. 9,999 (Tk- 11,835).
Redmi Note 7 Pro specifications
The Redmi Note 7 Pro sports the same “Aura Design” as the Redmi Note 7 as well as the same 6.3-inch Full-HD+ screen with 19.5:9 aspect ratio and waterdrop-style notch (aka Dot Notch). Both front and back of the phone are covered by 2.5D curved Gorilla Glass 5 for added durability. The smartphone is powered by 11nm manufacturing processor-based octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 SoC, coupled with 4GB/ 6GB of RAM, and 6GB/ 128GB of inbuilt storage with a microSD card slot (up to 256GB).
Among other specifications, the Redmi Note 7 packs a dual camera setup on the back that includes a 48-megapixel primary sensor with f/1.79 lens and a 5-megapixel secondary depth sensor. The company has also added a number of artificial intelligence (AI) powered features in the camera app of the phone, including AI scene detection, AI Portrait 2.0, and Night mode.
Additionally, there is a 13-megapixel front shooter on the phone as well as support for 4K video recording on the rear camera.
The phone runs on Android Pie-based MIUI 10 and the company says that it has added enhanced system optimisations in the Redmi Note 7 Pro, which, Xiaomi claims, provide 10 percent faster system responsiveness. It has also included a 4,000mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0 support in the phone.
Further, you will get a rear fingerprint sensor, USB Type-C port, 3.5mm audio jack, and dual-SIM support (hybrid). In terms of the connectivity capabilities, the Redmi Note 7 Pro gets 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 5, Bluetooth 5.0, and Infrared.
Dhaka, Feb 27 (UNB)-Vivo recently unveiled new V15Pro smart phone in the country.
The V15 Pro is the first model beyond the NEX to incorporate the industry’s first elevating front camera with upgraded AI technology that combines a stunning full-screen smart phone with an intelligent personal assistant that understands and anticipates consumer needs.
Interested customers can pre-book the V15 Pro from February 25 to March 4.
The phone with in Topaz Blue will be available in the country at Tk 39,990.