The lanterns here are made by professional teams from Zigong, a city in southwest China's Sichuan Province which is famous for lantern-making. The festival will last until Feb. 23, 2020.
People takes photos during the lantern festival
People visit a lantern festival held in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province
People visiting the lantern festival held in Dalian, northeast China's Liaoning Province
Art experts have confirmed that a painting discovered hidden inside an Italian art gallery's walls last month is Gustav Klimt's "Portrait of a Lady," which was stolen from the gallery nearly 23 years ago.
The authentication of the painting announced Friday solved one of the art world's enduring mysteries - where did the missing work end up? - but left several questions unanswered, including who had taken it and whether it ever left the museum's property.
A gardener at the Ricci Oddi Modern Art Gallery in the northern city of Piacenza who was clearing away ivy noticed a small panel door on a wall outside and opened it. Inside the space, he found a plastic bag containing a painting that appeared to be the missing masterpiece.
"It's with no small emotion that I can tell you the work is authentic," Piacenza Prosecutor Ornella Chicca told reporters Friday while two police officers stood on either side of an easel bearing the recovered painting.
"Portrait of a Lady," which depicts a young woman sensually glancing over her shoulder against a dreamy moss green background, is a later work by Klimt, dating from 1916-17. It was reported missing in February 1997.
Since the gardener's discovery on Dec. 10, the canvas had been kept in a vault of a local branch of Italy's central bank while experts used infrared radiation and other non-invasive techniques to determine if it was the original "Portrait of a Lady."
Experts said the painting was in remarkably good condition. One of the few signs of damage was a scratch near the edge of the canvas that may have resulted "from a clumsy effort to remove the portrait from its frame," said Anna Selleri, an art restorer from the National Gallery in Bologna.
The experts who did the verification work found persuasive evidence in the work of their peers more than two decades ago.
While preparing for an exhibit shortly before "Portrait of a Lady" disappeared, an Italian art student noticed a similarity between the painting and another piece by Klimt. Intrigued by the student's theory, experts at the time discovered that Klimt painted "Portrait of a Lady" on top of an earlier portrait of a woman.
Those studying the work in recent weeks, with the aid of X-rays, saw the earlier portrait. Selleri said the radiation analysis revealed that while painting the later portrait, Klimt didn't redo much of the face, but used whitish pigment from the earlier version for the skin.
"Portrait of a Lady" was officially listed as missing on Feb. 22, 1997 but might have been snatched from a gallery wall a few days earlier, during the exhibit preparation work.
So who stole the painting? Chicca said police were studying some traces of organic material on the recovered canvas in hopes they might provide leads.
Asked if authorities knew if the piece had ever left the gallery's grounds, investigators said that's something else they hope to find out.
Bangladeshi filmmaker Monjurul Islam Megh has been included as a member of an international jury of the 6th Rajasthan International Film Festival (RIFF) 2020.
The RIFF will be held from January 18 to 22 at Jaipur, Rajasthan.
The international jury team includes French actress and producer Marianne Borgo, actor and moderator in film festivals Charles Thomson, writer, researcher, journalist, fillmmaker from Bangladesh Monjurul Islam Megh, internationally acclaimed film maker from Iran Hassan Nazer.
The 6th RIFF will be organised by RIFF Film Club.
Two films from Bangladesh are selected for competition. ‘Fagun Haway’ directed by Tauquir Ahmed was selected for feature film competition and ‘Mala Bhabi’ directed by Mejanur Rahman Labu in the short film category.
Researchers from Australia's national science body have successfully genetically engineered mosquitoes that are resistant to spreading dengue virus.
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) on Friday revealed that it has engineered the first breed of mosquitoes resistant to spreading all four types of the dengue virus.
Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne disease caused by the dengue virus. It affects 390 million people every year around the world and can cause death if left untreated, according to CSIRO.
Prasad Paradkar, a Senior Research Scientist with the CSIRO, said that the disease is at epidemic levels in tropical and subtropical regions worldwide, with outbreaks currently occurring in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Philippines.
"There is a pressing global demand for effective strategies to control the mosquitoes that spread the dengue virus, as there are currently no known treatments and the vaccine that is available is only partially effective," he said in a media release.
"In this study we used recent advances in genetic engineering technologies to successfully genetically modify a mosquito, the Aedes aegypti, with reduced ability to acquire and transmit the dengue virus.
"This is the first engineered approach that targets all four dengue types, which is crucial for effective disease suppression."
According to the CSIRO more than half the world's population is at risk of infection and the disease currently costs the global economy 40 billion Australian dollars (27.5 billion U.S. dollars) every year.
The CSIRO collaborated with Omar Akbari from the University of California San Diego on the landmark breakthrough.
"This breakthrough work also has the potential to have broader impacts on controlling other mosquito-transmitted viruses," Akbari said.
"We are already in the early stages of testing methods to simultaneously neutralise mosquitoes against dengue and a suite of other viruses such as Zika, yellow fever and chikungunya."
The restaurant of French chef Paul Bocuse, who died two years ago, has lost one of its Michelin stars after holding three since 1965, a world record.
The Michelin guide announced Friday that the restaurant in Collonges-au-Mont-d'or, near the French city of Lyon, has been downgraded to two stars.
Dubbed by critics as the "pope of French cuisine," Bocuse died at age 91 in January 2018 in Collonges-au-Mont-d'or, the place where he was born.
He was a tireless pioneer, the first chef to blend the art of cooking with savvy business tactics — branding his cuisine and his image to create an empire of restaurants around the globe whose offerings range from haute cuisine to fast food.
The restaurant's kitchen is now run by a trio of French chefs.
The Bocuse group also owns a restaurant in Walt Disney World's Epcot Center in Orlando, Florida, that opened in 1982, and several brasseries, cafes and other establishments in the city of Lyon and in Japan.