Dhaka, Sep 11 (UNB) - Mobile phone operators Grameenphone and Robi filed two cases accusing Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) for its allegedly faulty audit report exaggerating the dues of the operators.
Robi filed the case on August 25 and GP on August 26 with the Dhaka Civil Court.
GP in a statement said “Despite that we have been pursuing continuously to establish a constructive dialogue with the regulator to reach an amicable transparent solution, including arbitration. Unfortunately, all our efforts had been unheeded by the BTRC and they have been seeking to realize the disputed audit claims by enforcing unwarranted measures.”
So, Grameenphone was forced to file civil suit, GP said.
Besides, Shahed Alam, chief corporate and regulatory officer of Robi Axiata Ltd told UNB that “The audit report and its findings have no legal basis and Robi has been wholeheartedly trying to resolve the matter amicably through negotiation or arbitration. However, BTRC has not heeded our request for such resolution of disputes. Instead BTRC has taken steps beyond the legal provisions for realization of amount claimed through highly questionable audit. As a result, Robi had no option but to file a civil suit before the court.”
Meanwhile, BTRC Senior Assistant Director (media), Zakir Hossain said they are well aware about the cases.
GP owes a whopping Tk 12,579.95 crore in dues to the government, including Tk 4,085.95 crore to the National Board of Revenue (NBR), while Robi owes a far more managable Tk 867.23 crore to the government, including Tk 197.21 crore to the NBR, according to the disputed BTRC audit.
On September 5, BTRC issued show-causes notices to GP and Robi seeking explanation as to why their 2G and 3G licences should not be revoked for failure to pay dues within 30 days.
Earlier, BTRC stopped issuing fresh no objection certificates (NOCs) to Grameenphone and Robi, prohibiting their activities over failure to clear the dues.
Dhaka, Sept 7 (UNB) - A two-day long Bangladesh Robot Olympiad started at the premises of Teacher-Student Centre (TSC) of Dhaka University (DU) on Saturday.
Deputy Minister of Education Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury was present as the chief guest in the inaugural programme where Pro Vice-Chancellor (VC) Prof Dr Muhammad Samad was present as the special guest.
The Department of Robotics and Mechatronics Engineering of DU and Bangladesh Open Source Network jointly organised the event.
Urging the students to acquire knowledge on science, Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury said that the government has been providing free books to all students and also giving computer training at the primary stage.
“We also provide all kinds of instruments to build a modern and science oriented nation.”, he said.
He suggested students to involve themselves with social and humanitarian activities beside the scientific tasks.
Chairman of the Department of Robotics and Mechatronics Engineering of DU Dr Shamim Ahmed Dewan presided over the programme where President of Bangladesh Robot Olympiad Prof Dr Lafifa Jamal, General Secretary of Bangladesh Open Source Network Monir Hassan were also present.
Around 400 students from different schools of the country are participating in the Olympiad.
India, Sept 7 (AP/UNB) — India's space agency said it lost touch Saturday with its Vikram lunar lander as it made its final approach to moon's south pole to deploy a rover to search for signs of water.
The fate of the lander — whether it crashed or landed — wasn't immediately known. A successful landing would have made India just the fourth country to land a vessel on the lunar surface, and only the third nation to operate a robotic rover there.
The space agency said the lander's descent was normal until 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the lunar surface.
"Let us hope for the best," said Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was at Mission Control in the southern city of Bengaluru.
The entire control center was jubilant during the first 10 minutes of lander's descent, with scientists breaking out in occasional cheers. The mood suddenly turned somber and then dejected when the lander stopped sending data during its final minutes of descent.
"I can understand the sadness in your face," Modi later told gathered scientists after being briefed by the space agency chairman. "I have lived the moment with you when communication with spacecraft was lost."
K Sivan, the agency chairman, said the data was being analyzed to find out what happened.
The roughly $140 million mission, known as Chandrayaan-2, was intended to study permanently shadowed moon craters that are thought to contain water deposits that were confirmed by the Chandrayaan-1 mission in 2008.
India's achievements in space have been hailed by Modi as a symbol of the country's rising ambition as a global power.
Even after communication was lost, scientists at mission control chanted "Victory for Mother India" in response to Modi's speech.
The space agency's chairman had earlier called Chandrayaan-2 the "most complex mission ever" undertaken by the space agency.
The mission lifted off on July 22 from the Satish Dhawan space center in Sriharikota, an island off the coast of the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
After its launch, Chandrayaan-2 spent several weeks making its way toward the moon, ultimately entering lunar orbit on Aug 20.
On Sept. 2, Vikram separated from the mission's orbiter, and the lander began a series of braking maneuvers to lower its orbit and ready itself for landing.
Only three nations — the United States, the former Soviet Union and China — have landed spacecraft on the moon.
Last January, China achieved the first landing on the far side of the moon. In April, an Israeli spacecraft attempting to land crashed moments before touchdown.
Dhaka, Sept 5 (UNB) - The premiere ecommerce platform, www.robishop.com.bd has introduced an exciting discount campaign on Motorola handsets. Under the campaign, selected Motorola devices can be purchased with up to 7,000 taka discount.
Besides, three-month EMI facility is available for purchasing the Motorola handsets, free home delivery is also available. The campaign will continue till September 7, said a press release.
Payment for the purchase can be made through debit/ credit card, the MFS, or even through cash on delivery modality. In order to purchase the handsets, one may visit www.robishop.com.bd or call 0961 0000 888 for details.
Dhaka, Sept 5 (UNB) - Hundreds of millions of Facebook users’ phone numbers were exposed in an open online database, the company confirmed Wednesday, in the latest example of Facebook’s past privacy lapses coming back to haunt its users.
More than 419m Facebook IDs and phone numbers were stored in an online server that was not password protected, the technology website TechCrunch reported. The dataset included about 133m records for users in the US, 18m records for users in the UK and 50m records for users in Vietnam.
The database was taken offline after TechCrunch contacted the web host.
Facebook confirmed the report and said it was investigating when and by whom the database was compiled. A spokeswoman for the company also claimed that the actual number of users whose information was exposed was approximately 210m, because the 419m records contained duplicates.
The records were likely amassed using a tool that Facebook disabled in April 2018 in the aftermath of the Cambridge Analytica controversy. The revelations showed how Facebook’s lax approach to privacy had allowed a political consultancy to obtain personal information from tens of millions of profiles.
Until then, Facebook allowed anyone to search for users by their phone number, a seemingly benign tool for finding an individual with a common name that was also readily hijacked by data scrapers.
“Malicious actors have also abused these features to scrape public profile information by submitting phone numbers or email addresses they already have through search,” chief technology officer Mike Schroepfer wrote at the time. “Given the scale and sophistication of the activity we’ve seen, we believe most people on Facebook could have had their public profile scraped in this way.”
Facebook emphasized that the exposed data was “old” and would have been scraped prior to the April 2018 policy change.
“This dataset is old and appears to have information obtained before we made changes last year to remove people’s ability to find others using their phone numbers,” a spokeswoman said in a statement. “The dataset has been taken down and we have seen no evidence that Facebook accounts were compromised.”
The spokeswoman did not respond to questions about whether Facebook would inform users whose information was exposed or offer any mitigation to those affected, saying only that the company was still investigating.
Facebook’s characterization of the data as “old” notwithstanding, phone numbers are an increasingly important key to people’s identities – and a potential vulnerability. While not as sensitive as a social security number, they are important identifiers that can be used to easily obtain significant amounts of personal information about an individual and their family from online data brokers, as the New York Times reported in August.
Skilled attackers can often leverage a mobile phone number and information gained through data brokers or social media sites (such as home address, previous addresses, family members, etc) to persuade mobile phone carriers to transfer a target’s phone number to a different phone.
The latest high-profile victim of this type of attack, which is known as Sim swapping, was Twitter chief executive officer Jack Dorsey, whose Twitter account was hijacked on Friday by a hacking group that appears to have gained control of his mobile phone number.
On Wednesday, Twitter announced that it was temporarily disabling the ability for users to send tweets through SMS, or text messages, due to “vulnerabilities that need to be addressed by mobile carriers”.