The World Health Organization (WHO) on Sunday reported a record one-day rise in the number of new coronavirus infections, with 307,930 reported over 24 hours, reports BBC.
WHO said the global total deaths have climbed to 917,417 with more than 5,500 deaths in 24 hours.
According to the report, the biggest increases in infections were reported in India, the US and Brazil.
It says there have been more than 28 million confirmed cases worldwide and half of which have been in the Americas.
The previous one-day record for new cases was on September 6 when the WHO reported 306,857 new infections.
According to the WHO, India reported 94,372 new cases on Sunday, followed by the US with 45,523 and Brazil with 43,718.
More than 1,000 new deaths were recorded in the US and India while Brazil said 874 people had died from Covid-19 related illness in the past 24 hours.
India has the second largest number of confirmed cases in the world, behind the US. Last week, it reported nearly two million Covid-19 cases in August, the highest monthly tally in the world since the pandemic began.
The country saw an average of 64,000 cases per day- an 84 percent hike from average daily cases in July, according to official data.
The death toll has topped 1,000 every day since the beginning of September.
Brazil has recorded more than four million cases, the third highest in the world. It has the highest number of deaths in Latin America, with about 131,000 so far.
The US has recorded almost a quarter of the world's total number of coronavirus cases - more than six million. It saw an increase in the number of daily cases in July, but the numbers have fallen since then.
The US has the world's highest recorded death toll from Covid-19, with more than 194,000 fatalities.
New Zealand on Sunday reported two new cases of COVID-19 with one health worker testing positive, the Ministry of Health said in a statement.
Another was a returnee to New Zealand in managed isolation while the health worker worked in Auckland's quarantine facility.
It is yet unknown whether the health worker was infected from the community or from within the quarantine facility, said the ministry, reports Xinhua.
The ministry said it was the first time a staff member at the Jet Park quarantine facility had tested positive in five and a half months of operation. The facility was used to manage people in quarantine after they test positive for COVID-19.
Currently, three people were in hospital with COVID-19, including two in ICU, the ministry said.
Read Also: Coronavirus: Global death toll 919,081
The number of active cases in New Zealand reached 97, including 39 imported cases in MIQ facilities and 58 community cases.
Meanwhile, the total number of confirmed cases in New Zealand was now 1,446, which was the number the country reported to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Laboratories across New Zealand processed 7,211 tests, bringing the total number of tests completed so far to 864,469.
New Zealand will remain at COVID-19 Alert Level 2 until Wednesday, with extra restrictions in place for its largest city Auckland. A decision will be made by the New Zealand government on Monday on the new Alert Level.
Coronavirus cases were first reported in China in December last year. The World Health Organization declared the crisis a pandemic in March.
The number of globally confirmed cases stood at 28,660,123 on Sunday morning as the death count soared to 919,081, according to Johns Hopkins University.
After decades of conflict, Afghanistan’s warring sides will open long anticipated negotiations Saturday in search of a lasting peace, reports AP.
This will also provide an exit for U.S. and NATO troops after nearly 19 years.
The mostly ceremonial opening in the Gulf state of Qatar, where Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents maintain a political office, is the latest in a flurry of diplomatic activity by the Trump administration ahead of the U.S. presidential election in November.
Saturday's launch of intra-Afghan talks, attended by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, follows the U.S.-brokered recognition of Israel by two Gulf nations — Bahrain on Friday and the United Arab Emirates earlier this month.
The talks in Doha bring together negotiators appointed by the Afghan government and the Taliban's 21-member delegation.
After a ceremonial opening, the sides will try to tackle tough issues. This includes the terms of a permanent cease-fire, the rights of women and minorities and the disarming of tens of thousands of Taliban fighters and militias loyal to warlords, some of them aligned with the government.
The sides are also expected to discuss constitutional changes, and power sharing.
Even seemingly mundane issues like the flag and the name of the country __ the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan or as the Taliban's administration had been known, when it ruled, the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan __ could find their way on to the negotiation table and roil tempers.
Among the government-appointed negotiators are four women, who vow to preserve women's rights in any power-sharing deal with the fundamentalist Taliban. This includes the right to work, education and participation in political life __ all denied women when the Taliban ruled Afghanistan for five years. The Taliban were ousted in 2001 by a U.S.-led coalition for harboring Osama bin Laden, the architect of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on America.
There are no women on the Taliban's negotiation team, led by their chief justice Abdul Hakim.
Pompeo has said he expected the discussions to be contentious.
Washington’s peace envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad said Friday that launching the talks is an important achievement, but that “there are difficulties, significant challenges on the way to reaching agreement.”
“This is a test for both sides, for the Taliban and the government," he said. "Can they reach an agreement despite differences, in terms of their visions for the future of Afghanistan? ”
The intra-Afghan negotiations were laid out in a peace deal Washington signed with the Taliban on Feb. 29. At that time the deal was touted as Afghanistan's best chance at peace in 40 years of war.
The talks were originally expected to begin within weeks of the Feb. 29 signing.
But delays disrupted the timeline from the outset. The Afghan government balked at releasing 5,000 Taliban prisoners, which was stipulated in the deal as a sign of good faith ahead of the negotiations. The Taliban were required to release 1,000 government and military personnel in their custody.
Political turmoil in Kabul further delayed talks as Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and his rival in controversial presidential polls the year before, Abdullah Abdullah, squabbled over who won, with both declaring victory.
Abdullah was named to head the High Council for National Reconciliation overseeing the peace talks as part of a power-sharing agreement to end the bickering.
The Taliban's refusal to reduce the violence further hindered the start of talks.
While Washington ramped up pressure to get the intra-Afghan negotiations started, the deal they signed with the Taliban to withdraw completely from Afghanistan does not hinge on the success of the talks.
Washington's withdrawal is contingent on the Taliban honoring commitments to fight terrorist groups, in particular the Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan, and ensure that Afghanistan cannot again be used to attack America or its allies.
Washington has refused to give specific of the guarantees citing security reasons, but the withdrawal of U.S. troops has already begun. President Donald Trump has said that by November, about 4,000 soldiers will be in Afghanistan, down from 13,000 when the deal was signed in February.
“Washington’s goals are very simple: It wants intra-Afghan talks happening as soon as possible, because these give the White House political cover for an imminent withdrawal,” said Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Washington-based Wilson Center's Asia program.
“Trump likely wants a peace deal before the election, so that he can garner political benefits galore and pitch himself as a Nobel Peace Prize candidate. But presumably even he realizes it’s wildly unrealistic to expect a deal so soon. These types of negotiations tend to be measured in years, not weeks.”
Read Also: Afghanistan to free 400 Taliban prisoners
An Alabama woman saved the life of a police officer by donating a kidney to him who had arrested her several times years ago, reports NDTV.
According to Fox News, Jocelynn James, a recovering drug addict, saw on Facebook that former officer Terrell Potter was in need of a kidney transplant.
After coming across a Facebook appeal by Mr Potter's daughter, Ms James reached out to her and offered to donate one of her own kidneys to the cop who had arrested her numerous times.
Jocelynn James, 40, has now been sober for years but once battled drug addiction so severe, she lost her car and job and used break-ins to fund her habit.
She was arrested 16 times between 2007 and 2012, and was on the state's 'Most Wanted' list.
One night, she saw her name flash on the TV as a "wanted" criminal and decided she was "sick of living that life".
The next day, she turned herself over to authorities and stayed in jail for six months. After that she went to rehab for nine months, and today, Jocelynn James is helping other women who are in the same position as she once was.
Police officer Terrell Potter, meanwhile, had been told he faced a seven to eight-year wait for a new kidney when Ms James saw his daughter's Facebook post.
"I still can't tell you what the post says because I never read it fully," she said to VUMC Voice - the news magazine of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
"I just saw that the man needed a kidney and the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said 'you have that man's kidney.' It was that simple. And I threw my phone down and I was like, 'God, I don't have time to give a man a kidney. I literally work 78 hours a week.'"
According to the Daily Mail, Ms James donated the kidney to Mr Potter in July at Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville. They are both doing well.
"That's one of the most unlikely candidates for someone to give you a kidney: somebody you put in jail. And if you asked me for a list of a hundred people who would give me a kidney, her name would not be on that list. Because we had no contact or anything. I just would've never picked her name out. But I'm so thankful that God put her in my life again," said Mr Potter.
India’s confirmed coronavirus tally has exceeded 4.6 million after a record surge of 97,570 new cases in 24 hours, reports AP.
India on Saturday also reported another 1,201 deaths, taking total fatalities to 77,472.
Infections are growing faster in India than anywhere else in the world and it is the second worst-hit country behind the United States.
Experts say India’s limited and restrictive testing has masked the actual toll even as daily tests have been ramped up to more than 1 million.
The Health Ministry said that over three-fourth of reported COVID-19 cases had either recovered or been discharged. The country’s recovery rate was at 77.7 percent.
“The gap between the percentage of recovered cases and active cases is progressively growing wide,” the ministry said.
Meanwhile, cases in the western state of Maharashtra, home to financial capital Mumbai, have passed 1 million as the virus continues to surge unabated through its rural and urban areas.
Maharashtra is the worst affected state with more than 28,000 COVID-19 fatalities. Nowhere has been the virus more deadly than in Maharashtra, where it has killed 2.8% of those with confirmed infections, well above the national mortality rate of nearly 1.7%.
The pandemic has been economically devastating for India. Its economy contracted nearly 24% in the second quarter, the worst among the world’s top economies.
Read Also: Global coronavirus cases exceed 28.3m: JHU