Six women who died in the deadliest avalanche in the United States in decades were part of a tight-knit group of close friends and seasoned backcountry skiers, their families said on Thursday.
The women were among eight friends on a guided ski trip in the rugged Sierra Nevada mountains. Two members of the group survived the avalanche and were rescued along with four others, including one guide. Three guides are among those dead or presumed dead.
In a statement released through a spokesperson, the families said they were overwhelmed by grief and focused on supporting their children while honoring the lives of the women, all of whom shared a deep love for the outdoors.
The victims were identified as Carrie Atkin, Liz Clabaugh, Danielle Keatley, Kate Morse, Caroline Sekar and Kate Vitt. They lived in the Bay Area, Idaho and near Lake Tahoe. The families requested privacy and said many questions remain unanswered.
According to the statement, the trip had been carefully planned in advance, and the women were equipped with proper avalanche safety gear. The families said the group was highly experienced, well trained and respectful of mountain conditions, and that they relied on professional guides during the trip.
Authorities are now examining what the guides and the tour company knew about avalanche warnings and the risks posed by a powerful winter storm that hit the region during the outing.
Trump warns of ‘bad things’ if Iran fails to reach deal as US carrier moves closer
Recovery efforts remain on hold due to dangerous conditions, said Ashley Quadros, a spokesperson for the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office. Crews are unable to safely reach the site, and the search for a ninth person continues.
The Sierra Avalanche Center warned that additional snowfall and strong winds could further destabilize the snowpack around Lake Tahoe. Wind gusts along ridgetops may reach up to 60 miles per hour, with a high risk of large avalanches expected through at least Friday morning.
Public access to parts of Tahoe National Forest, including the Castle Peak area, has been closed until March 15 as conditions remain hazardous.
The names of the other victims have not yet been released.