US President Donald Trump on Thursday said the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, deepening confusion after weeks of conflicting signals from his administration over whether it is reducing or reinforcing its military presence in Europe.
The announcement comes as the Trump administration had recently indicated it was planning to reduce troop levels in Europe by about 5,000. US officials also confirmed that around 4,000 service members were no longer being deployed to Poland, adding to uncertainty among European allies already unsettled by changing US defence plans.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump linked the decision to Poland’s recent presidential election and his relationship with new Polish President Karol Nawrocki.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said.
The announcement also contrasts with earlier statements from Trump and the Pentagon, which had suggested a broader drawdown of US forces in Europe, including reductions in Germany. At one point, Trump told reporters the cuts could be “a lot further than 5,000.”
US officials had already paused or canceled several planned deployments, including a 4,000-strong Army brigade intended for Poland and a missile-trained unit bound for Germany, as part of the restructuring of US forces in Europe.
The shifting decisions have drawn criticism from lawmakers in both parties, who say the uncertainty risks sending the wrong message to allies and to Russian President Vladimir Putin amid the ongoing war in Ukraine.
Republican Representative Don Bacon said Polish officials told him they were “blindsided” by the changes and described the situation as “reprehensible.”
Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said earlier this week that the pause in deployments to Poland was temporary and linked to a broader reduction in US brigade combat teams in Europe from four to three. He said final decisions on troop placement were still being worked out.
It remains unclear whether the canceled deployments will be reinstated or whether the US plans further adjustments to its force posture elsewhere in Europe. The Pentagon referred questions to the White House, which did not immediately respond.
US defence officials also expressed confusion over Trump’s latest announcement, with one saying they were still trying to understand its meaning after weeks of reacting to earlier policy changes.
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, however, had earlier welcomed Washington’s signals of support, saying he was pleased with US commitments to Poland.
The announcement came as US Secretary of State Marco Rubio travelled to Sweden for NATO discussions, where allies have been pressing Washington for clarity on its Europe strategy.
Former US diplomat Ian Kelly said the lack of consistency was creating uncertainty among allies, adding that European partners were seeking stability even when they disagree with US policy shifts.