Trump's Board of Peace
UN Security Council to hold high-level meeting on Gaza before Trump's Board of Peace convenes
The U.N. Security Council will hold a high-level session on Wednesday to discuss the Gaza ceasefire agreement and Israel’s moves to tighten control in the West Bank, ahead of world leaders traveling to Washington for the first meeting of President Donald Trump’s proposed Board of Peace on the future of the Palestinian territories.
The council meeting in New York had initially been set for Thursday but was brought forward after Trump scheduled the board’s gathering for the same day, which would have complicated travel for diplomats wishing to attend both events. The change highlights concerns about possible overlapping and competing agendas between the United Nations’ most powerful body and Trump’s new initiative, which aims to mediate global conflicts and has drawn unease in some countries.
Palestinian U.N. Ambassador Riyad Mansour said he hopes the international community will “stop Israel and end their illegal effort against annexation,” whether discussions occur in Washington or New York.
Foreign ministers from the United Kingdom, Israel, Jordan, Egypt and Indonesia, among others, are expected to join the monthly Middle East meeting of the 15-member council. Many Arab and Islamic nations had requested that Gaza and Israel’s controversial settlement expansion in the West Bank be discussed before some of them travel to Washington.
Trump’s Board of Peace was originally envisioned as a small group overseeing his 20-point plan for Gaza’s future. However, his broader ambition to use the body as a mediator for conflicts worldwide has prompted skepticism among key allies. More than 20 countries have accepted invitations so far, but close U.S. partners including France and Germany have yet to join and have instead reaffirmed their support for the United Nations, which is undergoing reforms and facing funding cuts.
U.S. ambassador to the U.N. Mike Waltz rejected concerns about the board’s makeup, telling conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt that relevant countries such as Qatar and Egypt — both in contact with Hamas leadership — have accepted invitations and are aligned with Washington.
The council session comes a day after nearly all its 15 members, except the United States, along with dozens of diplomats, joined Mansour in issuing a statement on behalf of 80 countries and several organizations condemning Israel’s recent steps in the West Bank. The statement called for an immediate reversal and stressed strong opposition to any form of annexation.
Israel is moving ahead with a controversial land regulation process that would deepen its authority in the occupied territory. Israeli Energy Minister Eli Cohen described the policy as amounting to “de facto sovereignty” that would block the creation of a Palestinian state. Palestinians, Arab states and human rights groups say the moves amount to illegal annexation of land where about 3.4 million Palestinians live and hope to form a future state.
The meeting will also review the U.S.-brokered ceasefire that began on Oct. 10 after more than two years of war between Israel and Hamas. The United Kingdom, which holds the council presidency, said briefings will be delivered by U.N. political chief Rosemary DiCarlo, along with Israeli and Palestinian civil society representatives — the first such participation since the Oct. 7 attacks.
Some parts of the ceasefire have progressed, including Hamas freeing all hostages it held and an increase in humanitarian aid entering Gaza, though the United Nations says assistance levels remain inadequate. A new technocratic committee has also been formed to manage Gaza’s daily governance.
However, major challenges remain, including deploying an international security force, disarming Hamas and rebuilding Gaza. Trump said Board of Peace members have pledged $5 billion for reconstruction and will contribute thousands of personnel for stabilization and policing forces, though he provided no specifics. Indonesia’s military has indicated up to 8,000 troops could be ready by late June for a possible humanitarian and peace mission deployment to Gaza.
6 hours ago