Bie, Oct 15 (Xinhua/UNB) -- Six people were killed and another injured in a car accident Monday in Angola's central Bie Province, local police said.
The victims included a 9-month-old child and the driver was seriously injured, said Antonio Hossi, chief superintendent from the Bie provincial command of the National Police.
The accident happened on National Road No. 250 in Chinguar town of Bie Province. The official attributed the tragedy to overspeeding.
Road accidents remain the second leading cause of death following malaria in the southern African country.
Kampala, Oct 15 (Xinhua/UNB) -- The 20th batch of Chinese medical teams have arrived in Uganda on a tour of duty for the next one year aimed at boosting the east African country's health care.
At a welcome and sendoff reception of the incoming and outgoing Chinese medical teams held on Monday at the Chinese embassy here, Uganda hailed China for the continued assistance since the first batch of doctors arrived in the country in 1983. Since then, over 211 volunteer doctors from China have served in Uganda, according to the Chinese embassy.
Emmanuel Batibwe, Director of China-Uganda Friendship Hospital said the outgoing medical team has carried out over 2,200 consultations in the last one year out of the 150,000 outpatients that visited the hospital.
Batibwe said the Chinese medical experts worked with their Ugandan counterparts to carry out surgeries.
Charles Olaro, director of health services at the ministry of health said China has for long donated an assortment of medicines and medical equipment, which have been critical in extending health care to many Ugandans.
Olaro said China has also been important in making Uganda ready to handle an Ebola outbreak in case it spreads from neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo where it is ravaging villages.
Among the medical team that was stationed at China-Uganda Friendship Hospital in the capital Kampala is an Ebola expert who has been in constant liaison with the ministry of the health.
Last month, China provided emergency assistance for Ebola prevention and control to Uganda in case it faced an outbreak, according to the Chinese embassy.
Besides the donations, close to 50 medical people from public health facilities also traveled to China for training and seminars.
Zheng Zhuqiang, Chinese ambassador to Uganda said China-Uganda medical and health cooperation is an important part of the eight major initiatives of the Beijing Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation held in September last year.
Zheng said with the deepening China-Uganda friendship, China continues to provide considerable medical aid to Uganda.
Juba, Oct 14 (Xinhua/UNB) -- Chinese Ambassador to South Sudan Hua Ning has called for more efforts for peace in South Sudan while commending the progress made by the parties to the Sept. 12, 2018 deal towards achieving unification of forces ahead of the formation of a transitional unity government in November.
Hua said in a statement issued in Juba Sunday that unification of the army is an important part of the revitalized agreement on the resolution of the conflict in South Sudan, adding that a united force will help stabilize the country.
"It is good to learn that more than 60,000 troops have been registered and will soon be trained by the Joint Transitional Security Committee," Hua said.
"We have already traveled so far down the road to peace from the starting point, and will be able to reach the destination so long as all the parties work together." Hua said.
Hua, who attended the registration process on Saturday said he witnessed an atmosphere of unity and brotherhood among the commanders and soldiers.
"The clock is ticking on the peace talks. We are now in a race against time with a number of key issues that need to be resolved. Achieving peace through consultation is the only way out. "Hua added.
The envoy said Beijing is committed to providing in-kind support for the cantonment, noting that the first 1,500 tons of food have already been delivered to the cantonment sites.
"The Chinese Embassy in Juba will provide some equipment to the Joint Military Ceasefire Commission in the following days to facilitate the registration work," said Hua.
The Revitalized Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission, the peace monitoring body tasked to oversee the implementation of the revitalized peace deal, recently said the warring parties failed to form the unified force by the Sept. 30 deadline.
South Sudan descended into conflict in December 2013 after Kiir sacked his deputy Machar, leading to fighting between soldiers loyal to respective leaders. The conflict killed tens of thousands and displaced millions both internally and externally.
A peace deal signed in 2015 collapsed after the outbreak of renewed violence in July 2016, forcing Machar to flee the capital.
Under the 2018 peace deal, Machar will take up the first vice presidency position in the transitional government.
Nairobi, Oct 13 (AP/UNB) — Kenya's police chief says a roadside bomb has killed 11 officers on the country's southern border with Somalia.
Inspector General Hillary Mutyambai said Saturday the officers' patrol car was blown up on Damajale Hare Hare road near the town of Liboi. No one has claimed responsibility for the bomb, but al-Shabab militants from Somalia are suspected.
The al-Qaida-linked group has increasingly targeted Kenyan security forces in recent years. It vowed to take retribution on Kenya in 2011 for sending troops into Somalia to target its fighters.
In July, Kenyan border police killed three suspected al-Shabab members who allegedly blew up their vehicle near the Somali border. A January attack on a Nairobi luxury hotel complex by al-Shabab extremists killed 21 people.
El-Arish, Oct 13 (AP/UNB) — A shell hit a truck carrying civilians in Egypt's restive northern Sinai Peninsula on Saturday, killing at least nine people of the same family, security officials and medics said.
The officials said the shell exploded in the small town of Bir al-Abd. At least six others were wounded and were taken to a hospital, they said.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the shelling, which struck the family while they were returning home from their olive farm, according to two residents in the town.
The residents spoke on condition of anonymity out of concern for their safety.
Separately, officials say seven security forces were wounded when two explosive devices hit armored vehicles in Bir al-Abd and the town of Rafah, along the border with Gaza.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media.
No group claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Egypt is battling an Islamic State-led insurgency in the Sinai that intensified after the military overthrew an Islamist president in 2013. The militants have carried out scores of attacks, mainly targeting the security forces and minority Christians.
Bir al-Abd was the site of a horrific 2017 attack on a mosque by Islamic extremists that killed over 300 worshippers.
The war has largely taken place hidden from the public eye, with journalists, non-residents and outside observers barred from the area. The conflict has also been kept at a distance from tourist resorts at the southern end of the peninsula.
In February last year, the military launched a massive operation in Sinai that also encompassed parts of the Nile Delta and deserts along the country's western border with Libya. Since then, the pace of IS attacks in Sinai's main theater has slowed to a trickle.