Dhaka, Jul 27 (UNB)- Vivo is going to launch its mid-range smartphone Vivo S1 with `Helo FullView Display’ in Bangladesh. It is the company's first smartphone under the S series lineup and packs an In-Display Fingerprint Scanning Technology, 32MP AI Selfie Camera, 4500mAh big battery with Dual-Engine Fast Charging, AI Triple Rear Camera, and stylish design with a choice of Diamond Black and Skyline Blue color.
Vivo S1 will go on sale starting August 2 and the pre-bookings will kick off tomorrow on August 28. The phone will be available for 28,990 BDT.
Vivo S1 houses 6GB RAM memory and 128GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 256GB via micro SD card.
This new phone features 6.39-inch FHD+ display which is called `Helo FullView Display’ by the company. It supports 1080x2340 pixels resolution, 32MP front camera and 16MP, 8 MP and 2 MP AI triple rear camera. Vivo S1 runs on Android Funtouch OS 9.0 with octa-core processor.
Connectivity options on the phone include 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi, FM, Bluetooth v5.0, GPS/ A-GPS, and Micro-USB with USB OTG support.
On the eve of the launching, Managing Director of vivo Bangladesh Mr. Duke said, “We always try to bring new phones with highest possible innovation in affordable price. Vivo S1 is one of the best example of our that kind of effort.
Customers will get one of the stylish and effective functioning phone by purchasing Vivo S1.”
Dhaka, Jul 25 (UNB) - O2 has announced it plans to turn on its 5G mobile network in October, reports the BBC.
It intends to launch the next-generation service in Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds and then expand to a total of 50 towns and cities by summer 2020.
It will be the last of the UK's network coverage providers to roll out 5G.
However, it will be the only one to do so without using equipment from the embattled Chinese telecoms equipment-maker Huawei.
O2 is owned by Spain's Telefonica, which has used Huawei's infrastructure in some of its other networks.
Moreover, O2 trialled some of Huawei's 5G radio access network gear at cell towers in the UK before deciding to opt for rival products from two vendors it had already used to deliver 4G.
"We respect all three operators, they were thorough in their submissions," O2's chief executive Mark Evans told the BBC.
"But we were convinced that the best choices for us at this time are our current partners, which are Ericsson and Nokia."
The announcement comes the same week that the UK formally postponed a decision on whether to ban or allow Huawei to be used within any of the UK's 5G networks.
The US has been putting pressure on the government to exclude the Chinese firm claiming that it poses a risk to national security - something that Huawei denies.
In April, it had seemed that former Prime Minister Theresa May had decided that any threat could be managed.
But a move by Washington to restrict other companies' trade with Huawei and the anticipation of Boris Johnson's cabinet reshuffle led to a government report into the future of UK's telecoms sector being published without a final decision having been taken on the matter.
O2 said that Huawei's involvement in the bidding process had helped it strike a more competitive deal with Ericsson and Nokia, but it had not closed the door on buying 5G products from the Shenzhen-based company in the future.
"The least we need is clarity of who we can work with and under what circumstances," added Mr Evans.
"Not having that clarity is frustrating because that undoubtedly could slow us down in either our decision making or our execution.
"So, I would still encourage the government to conclude their review and finalise their judgement ASAP."
O2 would also be affected by the decision since it plans to share some of Vodafone's 5G cell sites, where Huawei products are being used.
Shopping and entertainment
O2 has said that it will initially focus on providing 5G to sites where capacity is stretched.
These will include train stations, entertainment and sports venues - including the O2 Arena in London - and popular retail destinations, such as Edinburgh's Princes Street and Leeds' White Rose Shopping Centre.
It said consumers can expect faster download speeds and greater reliability if they purchase a compatible handset.
But Mr Evans said O2 also hopes companies will be early adopters, and had already struck a deal with Northumbrian Water.
"We're working with them on 5G smart sensors so that they can use that to detect leakage and water quality, and manage their network better," he said.
BT and Vodafone already offer 5G services of their own and Three is set to follow in August.
But one industry-watcher said that O2 should not be at a disadvantage by being the last to act.
"There's been a lot of talk about speed, but actually there aren't the apps and services there for customers to tap into that in any great way yet," said Kester Mann from the consultancy CCS Insight.
"So, these are just the very first steps in a 5G marathon."
O2's 5G news coincided with the release of its first-half results.
They revealed a 5.1% annual rise in sales, totalling £2.98bn ($3.8bn).
Its number of customers - including those signed to Giffgaff, Tesco Mobile, Sky Mobile and Lycamobile, which piggyback O2's network - rose by 3.6% to 33.3 million accounts.
Mr Evans also used the opportunity to criticise Ofcom's departing chief, Sharon White.
He said the regulator should have ensured 5G wave-bands were divided up so that each operator got a contiguous block of spectrum rather than holding auctions that are set to leave most firms with fragmented frequency ranges.
The result, he explained, was that 5G's performance might not be as good as it could have been.
"The regulator hasn't got the balance right for our sector," he added.
"[She] has been very much focused, understandably, on providing customers value.
"I do believe, though, however, that the regulator should also look at how they can support or enable the industry to accelerate investment and make the best use of what we have."
He acknowledged, however, that Ofcom is at least consulting on whether the spectrum can be "defragmented" by encouraging the networks to trade the blocks among themselves post-auction.
Dhaka, Jul 25 (UNB) - Samsung's first foldable smartphone will go on sale in September after problems with the device delayed its initial release, reports the BBC.
The April launch of the Galaxy Fold was postponed after early reviewers reported broken screens.
Samsung said it had made "improvements" to the nearly $2,000 (£1,603) device which would be sold in "select markets".
The firm has been racing to launch a folding smartphone before its rivals.
"Samsung has taken the time to fully evaluate the product design, make necessary improvements and run rigorous tests," the company said in a statement.
Improvements include extending a protective layer to make it clear it is not meant to be removed, as well as strengthening the hinge area with new protection caps.
One explanation for the broken screens appears to have been that some reviewers removed a film which they thought was a typical protective layer that came with the phone when first bought.
The defects with the device proved a source of embarrassment for Samsung which has seen declining smartphone sales and faces growing competition from rivals including China's Huawei.
Huawei became the second largest smartphone seller in the world last year and plans to launch its folding smartphone in September.
The company also pushed back the release of its foldable phone, saying it wanted to conduct extra tests following the screen problems with Samsung's Galaxy Fold.
Earlier this year, Chinese technology firm Xiaomi unveiled a prototype of a folding smartphone that transforms into a tablet.
Dhaka, July 24 (UNB)- An Apple Watch user in Britain was alerted about his low heart rate by the device, which revealed a serious heart condition that ultimately resulted in a surgery to fix the problem. According to a report in The Telegraph, Paul Hutton, who is a technology writer based in Essex, was given continuous warnings of low heart rate by his Apple Watch, reports The Indian Express.
The Apple Watch kept showing Hutton’s heart rate as below 40 bpm (the normal range is 60 to 100 bpm), and at first, his general physician diagnosed this as a low heart rate problem. But the issue persisted and his new Apple Watch (he upgraded in 2017) continued to send warning signs.
Another consultation with a specialist revealed a heart condition called ventricular bigeminy, which results in the heart beating irregularly and being unable to pump out blood effectively, notes the report. Hutton needed a surgery to fix the issue, which was successful.
“I keep checking my pulse on my Apple Watch and it all seems good,” he told the paper after the surgery. This is not the first report to talk about how an Apple Watch has potentially saved someone’s life by alerting them about their heart rate.
Back in April, a user had posted on Reddit on how the Apple Watch had saved their life by alerting them of a sudden spike in heart rate. By the time, paramedics arrived, the person had gone into shock and was rushed into emergency. Doctors later informed him that he had tachycardia, which results in the heart beating faster than 100 bpm, and there are various reasons for it.
Another Apple Watch feature that is being credited with saving lives is the fall detection. Back in February 2019, 67-year old Toralv Ostvang from Norway had a hard fall in his bathroom alone and was unconscious. He was rescued by the emergency services, who were alerted about the fall by the Apple Watch 4, which will dial the emergency service when it detects one.
Apple Watch Series 4 also with an ECG feature and an irregular heart-rhythm app. ECG or Electrocardiography records the electrical activity of the heart in order to detect if there are any issues. Apple has FDA clearance for the feature, and it is live in the US, UK, the majority of the European countries, though it has not yet come to India.
Where the ECG feature and India market are concerned, Dr Sumbul Desai, who is Apple’s VP of Health had told indianexpress that the company has been working “really hard” to bring the same to India. “There are no challenges per se. There is a process,” she had said.
Dhaka, July 24 ( UNB) - Now that South Korean tech giant Samsung's much-awaited foldable smartphone -- the 'Galaxy Fold' -- has passed the final round of tests with "flying colours", the company may soon announce its release date, reports India Today.
Earlier, Samsung Display Vice President Kim Seong-cheol confirmed that the Galaxy Fold's problems have been fixed and it is ready to hit the market, news portal Gizchina reported.
The smartphone was originally set to release on April 26 but the manufacturer indefinitely delayed the device after multiple review units experienced display issues and is now expected to launch in August along with the upcoming Note 10 series phones.
The device features a 7.3-inch primary flexible AMOLED display and a secondary 4.6-inch screen on the cover of the phone.
The premium smartphone comes backed by a 7nm Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 octa-core SoC, paired with 12GB of RAM and 512GB storage.
On the rear, it packs a 16MP + 12MP + 12MP triple rear camera set-up. The device also sports a 10MP camera on the front for selfies.
Connectivity options on the Samsung Galaxy Fold include WiFi, GPS, and USB Type-C.