Tanzanian conservation authorities said on Saturday the world's oldest free-ranging female black rhino has died in the Ngorongoro crater aged 57.
Freddy Manongi, the Conservation Commissioner for the Ngorongoro Conservation Area Authority (NCAA), said in a statement that the rhino named Fausta died of suspected natural death on Friday.
"Records show that Fausta lived longer than any rhino in the world and survived in the Ngorongoro, free-ranging, for more than 54 years before it was kept in a sanctuary for the last three years of its life in 2016," said the statement.
The statement said the rhino was first located in the Ngorongoro crater in 1965 by a scientist from the University of Dar es Salaam, at the age between three and four years.
"The health of the rhino began to deteriorate in 2016, when we were forced to put the animal in captivity, after several attacks from hyenas that inflicted severe wounds on the rare animal," said the statement.
The statement added that the rhino also lost sight, which further compromised its survival ability in the wild, adding that the rhino survived 57 years without bearing calves.
The life expectancy of rhinos is between 37 and 43 years in the wild and they can live up to 50 years and above in captivity, said the statement.
Health authorities say about two dozen people, mostly laborers, were killed Saturday when a minibus collided with a truck on a highway in Port Said in northern Egypt.
Officials said in a statement that the minibus, a vehicle widely used in Egypt as a communal taxi, was bringing the laborers from a garment factory in Port Said. The city is around 200 kilometers (around 125 miles) north of the capital, Cairo.
At least 22 people were killed in the crash, which took place on a highway linking the cities of Port Said and Damietta, the statement said. The workers were from Damietta.
Eight others were injured, some of them severely. All the victims were taken to nearby hospitals and morgues for treatment and identification, the statement said.
In a separate road crash, at least six people when a bus collided on Saturday with another bus on a highway close to the Red Sea resort of Ain Sokhna, 120 kilometers (75 miles) east of Cairo, according to health authorities.
The dead included three Egyptians and three tourists: two Malaysians and an Indian, the state-run daily al-Ahram reported.
Another 24 others were injured in the crash and were taken to nearby hospitals.
Egypt has a history of serious bus and car crashes because of speeding, careless driving, poor road conditions and poor enforcement of traffic laws.
The country's official statistics agency says more than 8,000 road accidents took place in 2018, leaving more than 3,000 dead and around 12,000 injured.
Two Kenyan police officers were killed and seven others injured when a vehicle in which they were traveling in hit an improvised explosive device (IED) in Wajir county in northeast Kenya on Friday evening.
Wajir county police commander Stephen Ngetich said on Saturday that the attack on the special forces attached to the Katulo patrol base happened as the officers were on their way from Khorof Harar onboard their camp Landcruiser which he said was extensively damaged by the IED.
"We have launched investigations into the incident in which two of our security officers were killed while seven others were injured," he said, noting that a major manhunt for the attackers is underway.
The latest incident comes barely a week after police officers who were on a routine patrol along the Katulo area escaped unhurt after a homemade bomb that had been planted along the Tarbaj-Kutulo road exploded.
Kenya's northeastern region has borne the brunt of grenade and gun attacks in the last several years since Kenya took its troops to Somalia in 2011 to fight the al-Shabab militia group.
Many people, majority of them non-locals or Christians have as a result lost their lives with others left with permanent injuries.
The extremist group has since changed tactics and resorted to abductions and using improvised explosive devices to carry out attacks in parts of Coast and northeastern regions, according to police.
A truck bomb exploded at a busy security checkpoint in Somalia's capital Saturday morning, killing at least 79 people including many students, authorities said. It was the worst attack in Mogadishu since the devastating 2017 bombing that killed hundreds.
The explosion ripped through rush hour as Somalia returned to work after its weekend. At least 125 people were wounded, Aamin Ambulance service director Abdiqadir Abdulrahman said, and hundreds of Mogadishu residents donated blood in response to desperate appeals.
President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed condemned the attack as a "heinous act of terror" and blamed the local al-Shabab extremist group, which is linked to al-Qaida and whose reach has extended to deadly attacks on luxury malls and schools in neighboring Kenya.
Bodies lay on the ground amid the blackened skeletons of vehicles. At a hospital, families and friends picked through dozens of the dead, gingerly lifting sheets to peer at faces.
Most of those killed were university students returning to class and police officers, said Somalia's police chief Gen. Abdi Hassan Hijar. He said the vehicle detonated after police at the checkpoint blocked it from proceeding into the city.
Somalis mourned the deaths of so many young people in a country trying to rebuild itself after decades of conflict. Two Turkish brothers were among the dead, Somalia's foreign minister said, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the attack.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but al-Shabab often carries out such attacks. The extremist group was pushed out of Mogadishu several years ago but continues to target high-profile areas such as checkpoints and hotels in the seaside city.
Al-Shabab is now able to make its own explosives, its "weapon of choice," United Nations experts monitoring sanctions on Somalia said earlier this year. The group had previously relied on military-grade explosives captured during assaults on an African Union peacekeeping force.
Despite that advance in bomb-making, one security expert said the unlikely choice of target Saturday — a checkpoint at the western entrance to the capital — reflected al-Shabab's weakening capability to plan and execute attacks at will. Mogadishu recently introduced tougher security measures that Somali officials said make it more difficult to smuggle in explosives.
"It feels like they literally knew that their (car bomb) may not proceed through the checkpoint into the city undetected, considering the additional obstacles ahead, so bombing the busy checkpoint in a show of strength appeared to be an ideal decision," the Mogadishu-based Ahmed Barre told The Associated Press.
Al-Shabab was blamed for the truck bombing in Mogadishu in October 2017 that killed more than 500 people, but the group never claimed responsibility for the blast that led to widespread public outrage. Some analysts said al-Shabab didn't dare claim credit as its strategy of trying to sway public opinion by exposing government weakness had badly backfired.
"This explosion is similar like the one ... in 2017. This one occurred just a few steps away from where I am and it knocked me on the ground from its force. I have never seen such a explosion in my entire life," witness Abdurrahman Yusuf said.
The attack again raises concern about the readiness of Somali forces to take over responsibility for the Horn of Africa country's security in the coming months from the AU force.
Al-Shabab, the target of a growing number of U.S. airstrikes since President Donald Trump took office, controls parts of Somalia's southern and central regions. It funds itself with a "taxation" system that experts describe as extortion of businesses and travelers that brings in millions of dollars a year.
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi reiterated on Thursday Egypt's rejection of all forms of foreign intervention in the domestic affairs of neighboring conflict-stricken Libya.
Sisi made the remarks in a phone call with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, during which they discussed various regional issues including the situation in Libya, said Egyptian presidential spokesman Bassam Rady in a statement.
"President Sisi asserted Egypt's fixed position that supports stability and security in Libya and the activation of the will of the Libyan people," Rady said.
Sisi also expressed Egypt's support for "the efforts of the Libyan National Army (LNA) in fighting terrorism and obliterating terrorist organizations that pose a threat not only to Libya but also to regional security and the security of the Mediterranean region."
For his part, Conte underlined Italy's keenness on reaching a settlement of the current crisis in Libya and restoring stability in Libya as well as the strength and efficiency of its institutions.
Sisi and Conte "agreed on intensifying joint efforts in this regard," Rady added.
Since the ouster and killing of former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, Libya has been locked in a civil war that escalated in 2014, splitting power between two rival governments: the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) based in the capital Tripoli and another in the northeastern city of Tobruk which is allied with the self-proclaimed LNA led by Khalifa Haftar.
Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, France and Russia support Haftar's LNA, while the GNA is backed by Egypt's regional rivals, Turkey and Qatar, in addition to Italy.
Haftar's forces have been launching a military offensive in an attempt to take over Tripoli since April.