Veteran actor Soumitra Chatterjee’s neurological condition deteriorated further since Saturday night although his vital organs were stable, said doctors at a hospital in Kolkota on Sunday evening.
The award-winning actor was in a drowsy state.
He was admitted at a private hospital in south Kolkata 20 days ago after he tested positive for Covid-19.
He has been in the intensive care unit (ICU) for 17 days with clear symptoms of Covid encephalopathy. Chatterjee tested negative for Covid-19 on October 14, reports Hindustan Times.
Chatterjee’s condition has deteriorated further, said doctors on Sunday evening.
“He is not keeping well. His consciousness level, despite all our efforts, is not improving. Rather, we can say it has gone down. Our board of neurologists is taking a decision on whether his airway should be protected with invasive devices,” said Dr Arindam Kar who is leading the medical team that is treating Chatterjee.
“Also, there are other factors. He was doing well as far as organ functions are concerned. But now due to prolonged stay in the ICU and all the invasive supports, there could be chances of secondary complications creeping in due to his age and comorbidity factors. Some of these things have begun to happen. His platelet count is little on the lower side. Haemoglobin count has also gone down. His urea level has gone up,” said Dr Kar. The actor is being given blood, he added.
“Regarding the definite therapy to end the Covid encephalopathy, because of which his condition has not improved, the board of neurologists has also discussed the option of plasmapheresis. Nephrologists are also taking a call. By tomorrow, we will have a discussion with his relatives and take a call on two issues; invasive airway support and plasmapheresis,” said Dr Kar.
Plasmapheresis is a process in which the plasma is separated from the blood cells for two purposes. The plasma is either replaced with saline or albumin or, it is treated and injected back to the body.
“As of now, his heart is doing well. He needs only 2-4 litres of oxygen support a day. No blood pressure support is required till now. His urine output and lever functions are good,” Dr Kar added.
Chatterjee’s condition improved last weekend and the octogenarian opened his eyes, responded to verbal commands and even said a few words. His neurological condition deteriorated after which the actor was once again given immunoglobulin and steroids.
Chatterjee underwent an MRI test last Monday.
The reports showed no structural abnormalities. “We have diagnosed that the Covid encephalopathy will stay for a while... in a worst-case scenario, for an indefinite period. We will again give him immunoglobulin and steroid for the coming two days,” Dr Kar said earlier this week.
Winner of Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Chatterjee was admitted on October 6 after he tested positive for Covid-19. He had to be shifted to the Covid ITU after his condition deteriorated.
Millions of people in Bengal and beyond have been praying for Chatterjee’s recovery ever since he was admitted.
In a bid to offer a holistic treatment, doctors made Chatterjee listen to music and literature of his choice till last week.
Read Also: Soumitra Chatterjee’s condition deteriorates
The health condition of legendary Bengali actor Soumitra Chatterjee who is undergoing treatment in Kolkata's Belle Vue Clinic has deteriorated as he stopped responding to treatment.
Adding to the worries of the doctors treating him at a private hospital here, an official said though the 85-year-old’s organs were functioning “well”, the platelet count has dropped and the level of urea and sodium in his blood has gone up, said Dr Arindam Kar, who is leading the team of doctors treating him at the facility, reports Indian Express.
“(Soumitra) Chatterjee’s consciousness is little down compared to what it was 72 hours ago.
Not very sure which way it is heading to. We have received reports of tests and we can deduce that the COVID encephalopathy is progressing,” Kar said.
Encephalopathy is a general term describing a disease that affects the function or structure of the brain.
“Despite the use of steroids and other prolonged efforts, he is not responding to treatment,” he said.
Expressing concern over the thespian’s age and comorbidities, the doctor said, “Though his lungs and blood pressure are still working well, there are points to be worried of. His platelet count has come down. We are trying to find out the reason for that. We will take some tough calls tomorrow.”
“We are trying our best. But sometime the best efforts are not enough for someone who is suffering from these disease at his age,” he added.
The critically acclaimed actor was admitted to the hospital here on October 6 after he tested positive for COVID-19.
Chatterjee tested negative for COVID-19 last week after which he was shifted to a non-COVID ITU.
ZEE5 Global has been named the ‘Digital Content and Streaming Service of the Year’ at the 2020 Telecoms World Middle East Awards for the second consecutive year.
The brand has also grown from offering content in 12 languages at launch to now offering content across 18 languages, filling a growing demand among audiences.
Fast-moving into its next phase of growth, it will soon launch multiple localised content and other initiatives in priority markets like Bangladesh and the Middle East.
The virtual awards ceremony, held on October 13, was part of a Telecoms World Middle East event in Dubai. The winners were chosen by a panel of expert judges brought together by Terrapinn, the organisers of the annual Telecoms World Middle East Conference and Awards.
“We’re thrilled to be named the Digital Content and Streaming Service of the Year, that too for the second consecutive year. This award is a recognition of the tremendous love for our content across markets, the partnerships we have forged in the shortest span of time and our continuous initiatives to bring the best of Indian and South Asian content to our audiences worldwide,” said Archana Anand, the Chief Business Officer of ZEE5 Global.
Catering to not only South Asians but also mainstream audiences across countries, ZEE5 is today, with over 125,000 hours of on-demand content and 60+ live TV channels, the largest single point destination for Indian content globally.
The government launched the first-ever digital archive for an artist through a website featuring rock legend Ayub Bachchu on the day of his second death anniversary on Sunday.
Bachchu, the first-ever applicant to the E-Copyright system who applied for preserving his creations right after the establishment of the Online Copyright Registration System (E-Copyright) on August 23, 2017, has finally received the honour through this website named ‘AB Kitchen’.
State Minister for Culture KM Khalid inaugurated the digital archive by virtually joining an online event at the Bangladesh Copyright Office in the capital's Agargaon on Sunday night. Fairuz Saffra Ayub, the elder child of Ayub Bachchu, joined the event online from New South Wales in Australia.
Additional Secretary of Cultural Affairs Ministry Sabiha Parveen was present at the event, conducted by Bangladesh Copyright Office Registrar Zafar Raja Chowdhury.
"Ayub Bachchu, the legendary rock musician and guitarist of Bangladesh, has created a great number of melodious creations throughout his successful career - and today, we're proud that those creations have become our national asset through this website. This initiative of the Copyright Office to commemorate the late artist deserves big applause,” Khalid said at the event.
Urging other artists to step forward for ensuring the copyright registrations of their creations following the footstep of Bachchu, the state minister said: “The majestic creations of our talented artists are the priceless resources of Bangladesh and it is our responsibility to protect our resources which will be possible if everyone comes forward to assist the copyright office, as Ayub Bachchu did in his lifetime.”
Fairuz Saffra Ayub thanked the copyright office and the Ministry of Cultural Affairs, saying, "My father has long been involved in the copyright movement for ensuring his right to his creations, and finally became successful in 2020. I cordially thank the Copyright Office, the Ministry of Cultural Affairs and honourable Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on behalf of my family for this wonderful digital archive.”
Calling the initiative as a great achievement for Bachchu’s family and all the artists in the country, she also proposed a dedicated museum for music and requested the government to take the initiative.
Mentioning Ayub Bachchu as a great companion to the Copyright Office, Registrar Zafar Raja Chowdhury said that the website is going to be a great resource for the fans and admirers. He thanked audio engineer and music composer Zooel Morshed for developing the archive, which will be monitored and operated by Bachchu’s son Ahnaf Tazwar Ayub as the Chief Executive Officer of AB.org, along with Fairuz Saffra Ayub as its Managing Director and their mother, Bachchu’s wife Ferdous Akhter Chandana as the Chief Executive Director.
Out of the proposed 272 songs of Bachchu, currently the website contains 133 songs of the rock-icon, his biography, 40 photographs and 8 videos of himself along with his band LRB, descriptions of various concert-tours and more. A 3D digital museum of more than 50 guitars used by Ayub Bachchu would be added soon at the digital archive.
Fans and admirers of Ayub Bachchu can visit the website at https://abkitchen.org/.
Also read: Ayub Bachchu’s 2nd death anniversary today
People have been diving to the Titanic’s wreck for 35 years. No one has found human remains, according to the company that owns the salvage rights, reports AP.
But the company’s plan to retrieve the ship’s iconic radio equipment has sparked a debate: Could the world’s most famous shipwreck still hold remains of passengers and crew who died a century ago?
Lawyers for the U.S. government have raised that question in an ongoing court battle to block the planned expedition. They cite archaeologists who say remains could still be there. And they say the company fails to consider the prospect in its dive plan.
“Fifteen hundred people died in that wreck,” said Paul Johnston, curator of maritime history at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. “You can’t possibly tell me that some human remains aren’t buried deep somewhere where there are no currents.”
The company, RMS Titanic Inc., wants to exhibit the ship’s Marconi wireless telegraph machine. It broadcast the sinking ocean liner’s distress calls and helped save about 700 people in lifeboats.
Retrieving the equipment would require an unmanned submersible to slip through a skylight or cut into a heavily corroded roof on the ship’s deck. A suction dredge would remove loose silt, while manipulator arms could cut electrical cords.
RMS Titanic Inc. says human remains likely would’ve been noticed after roughly 200 dives.
“It’s not like taking a shovel to Gettysburg,” said David Gallo, an oceanographer and company adviser. “And there’s an unwritten rule that, should we see human remains, we turn off the cameras and decide what to do next.”
The dispute stems from a larger debate over how the Titanic’s victims should be honored, and whether an expedition should be allowed to enter its hull.
In May, a federal judge in Norfolk, Virginia, approved the expedition.
U.S. District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith wrote that recovering the radio “will contribute to the legacy left by the indelible loss of the Titanic, those who survived, and those who gave their lives.”
But the U.S. government filed a legal challenge in June, claiming the undertaking would violate federal law and a pact with Britain recognizing the wreck as a memorial site. U.S. attorneys argue the agreement regulates entry into the wreck to ensure its hull, artifacts and “any human remains” are undisturbed.