Dhaka, Feb 26 (UNB) - The High Court on Tuesday issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain as to why their failure to implement a 17-point recommendation placed by the Home Ministry probe committee after the 2010 Nimtoli fire should not be declared illegal.
A bench of Justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader issued the rule after hearing a writ petition filed over the Chawkbazar fire incident.
The court also wanted to know as to why directives should not be issued to enforce the existing laws and rules over the sales, hoarding and marketing of chemicals to ensure people’s safety.
The court also kept pending the hearing on three other writ petitions over the fire incident that killed 69 people on February 20 last.
The Cabinet, Industries, Home and Law Secretaries were made respondents to the rule which is returnable in four weeks.
Being asked by the court during the hearing, Attorney General Mahbubey Alam informed it that families of the victims would be provided with Tk 1 lakh each as compensation.
Mentioning that the amount is too inadequate, the court said they would order that each victim be given Tk 5 lakh.
At this stage, the attorney general urged the court not to deliver any instant order, saying he would discuss the matter with the top level of the government.
Later, the HC bench said, “It’s a humanitarian issue. We aren’t delivering any order right now but you must ensure that the amount of compensation is increased.”
Earlier on Monday, observing that the Chawkbazar inferno is not an accident, the High Court said someone must take the responsibility for it.
It also said the fire incident would have not happened had the 17-point recommendation placed by the probe panel formed by the Home Ministry after the Nimtoli fire been implemented.
They came up with the observations while hearing three petitions filed over the fire incident.
Four writ petitions have been filed with the HC seeking its directives to provide compensation for the Chawkbazar fire victims, relocate chemical warehouses from Old Dhaka and dismantle unapproved buildings from the area.
On February 20, at least 67 people were killed and 41 others injured after a devastating fire broke out at a chemical warehouse and raged through several nearby buildings at Chawkbazar. Two more victims succumbed to their injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital later.
On June 3, 2010, at least 124 people (117 on the spot, others later at hospitals) were killed in a devastating fire that originated in the Nimtoli area an electrical transformer explosion.
Cumilla, Feb 25 (UNB) – A court here on Monday deferred the hearing of charge framing to March 31 in a case over the killing of eight people in an arson attack on a bus in 2015. Two cases were filed against BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in this connection.
Cumilla District and Sessions Judges Court Judge Md Ali Akbar passed the order responding to an application filed by Khaleda Zia’s lawyer seeking time.
Earlier on February 4, the court rejected the bail petition of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia and fixed February 25 for hearing on charge-framing in the case.
On January 16, a court deferred the hearing on charge framing and bail petition of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia in the case.
Eight people were killed and at least 20 others injured in a petrol bomb attack on a bus at Jogmohanpur in Chouddagramupazila on February 3, 2015 during the BNP-led alliance's movement.
Dhaka, Feb 25 (UNB) – The High Court on Monday asked the government to provide salary to primary school headmasters under grade-10.
Passing the order, the HC bench of Justice Naima Haider and Justice Khizir Ahmed Choudhury asked the government to implement it with retrospective effective from March 9, 2014.
All trained and untrained teachers will avail of the same opportunity, it said.
Advocate Salauddin Dolon who stood for the petitioner said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina elevated the job of headmasters to class-II on March 9, 2014 and the Primary and Mass Education Ministry issued a gazette notification on the same day over it.
The Education Ministry provides salary to the headmasters of primary schools under grade-11 (those trained) and grade-12 (untrained) although it gives salary to other class-II employees under garade-10.
Later, 45 teachers, including Rias Pervez, president of Bangladesh Govt Primary Headmasters’ Association, filed a writ with the High Court challenging the legality of the government decision.
Dhaka, Feb 25 (UNB) - The High Court on Monday ordered the court concerned to dispose of the Barapukuria coalmine corruption case against BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia and 10 others within six months.
The HC bench of Justice Md Nazrul Islam Talukder and Justice KM Hafizul Alam passed the order after rejecting a petition filed by Barrister Aminul Haq, an accused in the case, seeking cancellation of the case, filed.
Advocate Khurshid Alam Khan stood for the ACC while deputy attorney general Amin Uddin represented the state and Barrister Anik R Haq stood for the accused.
Earlier, on January 31, Special Judges Court-2 Judge ASM Ruhul Imran deferred the hearing on charge-framing against BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and 10 others to February 26 in the Barapukuria coalmine corruption case.
On February 26, 2008, the Anti- Corruption Commission filed the case with Shahbagh Police Station accusing 16 people, including Khaleda and 10 of her former cabinet colleagues, of taking Tk 159 crore 71 lakh in kickbacks on the Barapukuria coalmine deal which was awarded to the highest bidder instead of the lowest one.
However, among the 16 accused, MotiurRahmanNizami and Ali Ahsan Muhammad Mojaheed were executed for their crimes against humanity while former Finance Minister SaifurRahman, BNP leader Abdul MannanBhuiyan and former Petrobangla chairman AR Osmani have already died.
On October 5, 2008, the ACC pressed charges against the accused in the Barapukuria graft case.
Responding to a petition filed by Khaleda, the HC on October 16, 2008 stayed the case proceedings and issued a rule asking the ACC to explain why the case should not be quashed.
The Appellate Division later upheld the stay order as well, leaving the corruption case in the cold.
Later on September 17, 2015, the HC lifted the stay order resuming the trial proceedings of the case.
Kushtia, Feb 25 (UNB) – A court here on Monday sentenced a man to life term imprisonment in a rape case in Mirpur upazila in 2015.
The convict is Md Nantu. The court also fined him Tk 50,000.
According to the prosecution,victim Rehena Begum and Nantu were tenants of a house owned by Shafayet Hossain at Chitholia village in the upazila.
Nantu used to disturb Rehena and gave her bad proposal several times.
Being denied by Rehena, Nantu forcibly entered her room on March 30, 2015 and violated her and also hit her severely.
Hearing Rehena’s scream, locals rushed in and took Rehena to Kushtia General Hospital where Rehena died after five months.
On March 31, 2015, the house owner filed a rape case with Mirpur Police Station against Nantu.
After examining all the records and witnesses, Woman and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal Judge Munshi Md Moshiar Rahman handed down the verdict.