Egypt has stepped up efforts to revive negotiations between Iran and the United States as tensions continued over the Strait of Hormuz and Israel carried out fresh strikes in Syria.
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table with his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
The two ministers also discussed Iranian-Omani talks on managing traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, the ministry said.
Araghchi briefed Abdelatty on Iran’s assessment of recent developments, the progress of negotiations and the challenges facing the talks.
The discussions came after Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Iran should end its war with the US because the international community had accepted Tehran’s victory.
The United States, however, has taken a tougher position. President Donald Trump has threatened an unprecedented campaign of economic pressure and isolation to force Iran to end its nuclear program and fully reopen the strategic waterway, a major route for global oil and gas shipments.
Iraq says some oil tankers allowed through Hormuz
Iran and Iraq also said Tehran had facilitated the passage of some vessels carrying Iraqi oil through the Strait of Hormuz.
Iraqi President Nizar Amidi said some ships carrying Iraqi crude had been allowed to transit the waterway, although he provided no details on the number of vessels or the timing.
Iran’s state-run IRNA also reported that several Iraqi oil tankers had received permission to pass through the strait.
It remained unclear what arrangements were made for the vessels to transit the waterway.
Israeli strike reported in Syria
Meanwhile, an Israeli drone strike on a vehicle in the southwestern Syrian village of Beit Jin wounded one person, Syrian state news agency SANA reported.
Syria’s Foreign Ministry condemned the strike as a violation of its sovereignty and said several civilians were injured.
The Israeli military said it had targeted a person involved in preparing a terrorist attack but did not provide further details.
Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria since the ouster of former President Bashar Assad in late 2024, mainly targeting military assets.
Dispute over Golan Heights
US Ambassador to Turkey and special envoy for Syria Tom Barrack said Israel “still” occupies the Golan Heights in violation of UN resolutions, remarks that drew criticism from Israel.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Barrack’s comments contained inaccuracies and contradicted President Trump’s position.
Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 war and annexed it in 1981. The United Nations considers the territory occupied Syrian land.
Trump recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights in 2019, reversing decades of US policy.
France, Saudi Arabia to discuss alternatives to Hormuz
French President Emmanuel Macron and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman are expected to discuss alternatives to the Strait of Hormuz during the Saudi leader’s visit to Paris beginning Sunday.
Possible plans include expanding the use of Omani ports outside the Persian Gulf, increasing pipeline capacity in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere, and developing new rail links.
France and Saudi Arabia have also formed a task force to strengthen energy and logistics links between the Middle East and Europe. The task force is scheduled to meet at the ministerial level Monday to identify key projects, secure financing and determine the role of French companies.