A vessel was struck by a projectile early Tuesday while attempting to leave the Strait of Hormuz, according to the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO), a British military maritime monitoring agency.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the incident. The attack underscores the continued risks facing commercial vessels using the strategic waterway, as Iran maintains restrictions on shipping traffic while negotiating with Oman over arrangements for managing transit through the strait.
Here are the latest developments from the Iran war and the broader Middle East:
Vessel damaged during Strait of Hormuz transit
An unidentified projectile struck a vessel’s engine room early Tuesday as it was passing through the Strait of Hormuz off Oman, causing damage and leaving one crew member affected, the UKMTO said, citing the vessel’s security office.
The agency did not identify the ship or provide information about its cargo. It also did not clarify whether the crew member was killed or injured. The Omani Coast Guard was assisting the remaining crew, while authorities launched an investigation.
The incident comes amid concerns over possible oil pollution in the Persian Gulf and surrounding waters from vessels damaged while attempting to cross the strait. No environmental damage was reported in Tuesday’s attack, according to the UKMTO.
Iran effectively shut down traffic through the Strait of Hormuz — a crucial global energy route that handled around one-fifth of the world’s traded oil before the war — after Israel and the United States launched attacks on Iran on Feb. 28.
The United States is also maintaining a blockade of Iranian shipping through the waterway.
With U.S.-Iran negotiations stalled, Tehran has been holding separate discussions with Oman over a mechanism to regulate maritime traffic through the strait. Iran said Monday that the details of a joint statement with Oman were being finalized.
U.S. President Donald Trump reacted angrily to the development and reportedly warned Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst in a phone interview that Washington could bomb Oman if it “gets in the way.”
Erdogan urges Trump to pursue diplomacy
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on U.S. President Donald Trump to continue pursuing a diplomatic solution to the conflict with Iran.
The two leaders spoke by phone late Monday as a 60-day period for reaching a peace agreement between Washington and Tehran came to an end. There was no immediate indication that the negotiating period would be extended, while the two sides appeared to remain far apart.
“President Erdogan said it is important to make maximum use of diplomacy amid tensions between Iran and the United States,” Turkey’s presidential communications office said in a statement. He also expressed hope that negotiations would continue and reaffirmed Turkey’s support for peace efforts.
Erdogan also raised concerns about intensified Israeli actions against Palestinians as efforts continue to advance the second phase of the Gaza agreement, according to the statement.
Turkey, which is a NATO member and shares a border with Iran, signed a joint defense agreement earlier this month with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. The agreement states that an armed attack against any one of the three countries would be considered an attack against all three.
Trump welcomed the agreement, saying it demonstrated that Middle Eastern countries were moving closer together and strengthening their ability to defend themselves.
During his conversation with Trump, Erdogan said the agreement represented a firm commitment to regional security and stability.