Five members of a family sustained burn injuries in a fire triggered by a cooking gas cylinder leak in their house in South Keraniganj upazila on Thursday night.
The injured have been identified as Raju Ahmed (28), his daughters -- Jannat (5) and Roja (3) -- his sister Sharmin Akter (24), and his cousin Habibur Rahman Habib (19).
The accident happened around 7.30pm in their house in the Bhir Baghoir area of the upazila. "Raju was preparing food for dinner when a leakage from the cylinder led to the fire," Habibur’s father Motaleb said.
The injured are being treated at Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital. "All are in a critical condition,” said Dr Partha Shankar Paul, a doctor.
"While both Raju and Habibur suffered 30 percent burns, Jannat, Roja and Sharmin sustained 26 percent, 46 percent and 10 percent burns, respectively," said Dr Partha.